Society/Culture The house of Windsor

Remove this Banner Ad

i disagree with you on the merits of the royal hereditary system.
but i think you need to go on some sort of mastermind type quiz show and specialize in "the history of the british royal family", or you have a very fast search engine and fingers.

I'm a history teacher and tutor.

"Some of them" code for your family were British loyalists. Virtuality none of them in the Republic of Ireland today.

Which bit of "Irish convicts" didn't you understand? They "some of them" had no love for the British empire.

Michael Collins and Éamon de Valera would spit in your face.

It'll have to be a long spit from Ireland to Australia. As I said, I was born in Australia and so were my parents.

Last edited:
In 2008 for example the Crown Estate paid the British Treasury £211.00 million in return for £7.9 million in Civil List payments to the monarch.

It's tiresome that people continually post that the monarchy costs taxpayers in the UK money when this is clearly not the case.

Michael Collins and Éamon de Valera would spit in your face.

So what? De Valera signed the condolence book at the German embassy after a certain person died. A grade campaigner.

To elaborate more; five of Queen Elizabeth's cousins were hidden away in a mental hospital on the same day 46 years ago.

And which cousins were these? Members of the royal family or Bowes-Lyons (who aren't even royalty)?

As the queen mother married into the House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, I suppose the mentally handicapped cousins were indeed British aristocracy rather than royal family proper.

341108134_640.jpg

Regardless, inbreeding in the royal families / close aristocracy / Rothschild and other assorted people with big sway on the planet is rather interesting.

As the queen mother married into the House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, I suppose the mentally handicapped cousins were indeed British aristocracy rather than royal family proper.

Yes? So what's your point? George VI and Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon are very distant cousins descendants of the Royal House of Scotland (the Stewarts and Edward III)

Regardless, inbreeding in the royal families / close aristocracy / Rothschild and other assorted people with big sway on the planet is rather interesting.

As I've already said cousin-marriage has been quite popular amongst all classes throughout history. Anthropologist Robin Fox of Rutgers University, suggests that it is likely that 80% of all marriages in history may have been between second cousins or closer.

Yes? So what's your point? George VI and Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon are very distant cousins descendants of the Royal House of Scotland (the Stewarts and Edward III)

As I've already said cousin-marriage has been quite popular amongst all classes throughout history. Anthropologist Robin Fox of Rutgers University, suggests that it is likely that 80% of all marriages in history may have been between second cousins or closer.

School photographs from small villages in 1900s england are particularly interesting. I've tried to identify ancestors 5 know must be in the photo, but half the kids (of the same sex) could easily be your ancestor.

How many years does the 80% stat go back? 500,000 years? We used to knock women over the head and drag them back to our cave too.

I think marriage is meant in its loosest term, its only a recent widespread thing in those terms.

losing 2/3 of the total population in the plague means many bloodlines were simply exterminated

Go back 25 generations and you (an individual) have a possible 33 million ancestors on one generation line what was the words population 500-700 years ago

Pack animals like lions have one male servicing the whole pride while he is the alpha male, then another takes over. a lot more female lions pass on their genes than males

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many years does the 80% stat go back? 500,000 years? We used to knock women over the head and drag them back to our cave too.

Given that Robin Fox is an anthropologist (he founded the department of anthropology at Rutgers University in 1967 and has remained a professor there for the rest of his career) would suggest that he would make a distinction between history and pre-history. That roughly occurred about 3,500 BC in the Middle East and later in other parts of the world.

Go back 25 generations and you (an individual) have a possible 33 million ancestors on one generation line what was the words population 500-700 years ago.

If there was no intermarriage between related people, each person living today would have 33,554,432 individual ancestors in roughly AD 1200.

The combined population of Italy, France and England in the thirteenth century has been estimated somewhere between 33 and 40 million.

The population of the world in 1200 has been estimated to have been roughly 450 million.

40 generations back and we would have 1,099,511,627,77 individual ancestors, assuming no inter-marriage. That's about the year AD 750

The world population in AD 800 has been estimated between 220 million and 261 million.

Pack animals like lions have one male servicing the whole pride while he is the alpha male, then another takes over. a lot more female lions pass on their genes than males

actually this is a myth in almost all pack animals its been observed not only of males other the "alpha" sneakily getting sex on the sly, but packs often exchange males with males that get accepted into a new pack more likely to become the next "alpha" in fact even the concept of an alpha male has never been observed in the wild outside of hominids. alpha males seem to be a trait only inherit in primates.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back