Toast The humble pie thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Im trying to think who i was angriest about us signing now; Dawes, Melksham or Lumumba? Pretty sure it was Harry. But filthy at all three.

Looking back on that hideous period for the club, i can't believe how good Mitch Clark was and how bad Dawes was. Wasn't excited by either signing at the time but Clark was amazing for a season to a season and half for us. Dawes came as advertised, useless.

While we're also eating humble pie, I'll admit I was wrong on Clark. I thought he'd retire and then come back after a season out of the game for someone else, but I was wrong about him spending a season out of the game. Filthy spadger.

Can't remember if he got AA but he was a very good player for a period. Not for us.

Was AA in 2010. I always find it interesting when he released that documentary that us (Melbourne) literally are never referred to by name, must have been part of the contract settlement that we wouldn't be mentioned or involved at all in his film.

I confess I joined BigFooty to rage about us signing that campaigner. So filthy.

Edit:
I distinctly remember reading this post and nodding my head agreeingly.
One night i also drunkenly whinged to an even drunker Rawlings that we had the s**t Jetta circa 2013. He flat out backed him in and said he would be right and that he was awesome. I now worship at the church and i'll have ice cream with my pie thanks.

Was AA in 2010. I always find it interesting when he released that documentary that us (Melbourne) literally are never referred to by name, must have been part of the contract settlement that we wouldn't be mentioned or involved at all in his film.

Worth watching for a laff?

While we're also eating humble pie, I'll admit I was wrong on Clark. I thought he'd retire and then come back after a season out of the game for someone else, but I was wrong about him spending a season out of the game. Filthy spadger.
Such a kooont.

I’ll stick to recent history:

Criticised chompers pretty fiercely earlier in the season.

Was very sceptical about vanders’s return.

Thought Watts would make us look silly.

I thought Harmes was a wannabe footballer and an absolute hack...like six weeks ago as well.

I genuinely despised OMac and thought we were giving him games to make TMac sign his 2016 extension.

I thought ANB was a nothing footballer that would play 30 games and drop off the face of the earth, granted he probably would have had he been coached by Mark Neeld.

I thought Weideman would be a bust, and was 95% convinced of this...like sex weeks ago as well.

I thought Melksham was our worst trade of all time.

Christian Salem- could always see the good skills, but just didnt see where you fit in, or if there was anything you could actually do that wasnt plain average.

My bad lad.

Happy to say, I called harmes improvement all preseason, I just called it as a half forward who would kick 35 goals. Also never lost faith in weideman.

Oh and melksham, had no idea you knew how to footyball.

I thought Harmes was a wannabe footballer and an absolute hack...like six weeks ago as well.

I genuinely despised OMac and thought we were giving him games to make TMac sign his 2016 extension.

I thought ANB was a nothing footballer that would play 30 games and drop off the face of the earth, granted he probably would have had he been coached by Mark Neeld.

I thought Weideman would be a bust, and was 95% convinced of this...like sex weeks ago as well.

How good are sex weeks!

It’s midday on a Sunday in Australia. Crazy notion perhaps, but I think there may be a few people enjoying their weekend, shopping, hanging out washing etc at the moment, as opposed to hanging over an Internet forum waiting for the opportunity to confess something.
not to mention playing Qooty

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not Melbourne related, but definitely worthy of the thread. A couple of years ago I watched a tall skinny kid play his first NEAFL game for Aspley. While thinking how terrible this lad was, although like 200cm, he was playing as a ruck against your standard 193cm State League ruckman, and copping an absolute pasting, knowing that he was a part of the Lions academy, I scoffed to myself that he'll probably get drafted late because of his height, play some very underwhelming games in the Reserves for a few years before being delisted ... nailed it ... it was Harris Andrews.

I was the same on Omac, I thought he was Matthew Warnock with a lucky last name.

I will be close on Goodwin, very dependent on if we compete against Hawthorn

- when i watched Essendon I though he didn't have the team anymore - I am certainly wrong on this
- Said he cant adjust within games, which still might be the case
- thought he got out coached fairly often, like people picking apart our game plan easily,, not being able to stop a run on
- And we had some problem between the head, related to the above, but quarters so terrible they would cost us the game, even if we one the other 3

On the plus side they seem to have adjusted out game style and structural issues effectively, I think by about round 20 LOL

I believed all of this until the WC game (Geelong and Sydney games recent examples), but I do think Hawthorn is a real test of the above. I'll eat my pie if we are competitive and not made fools of

In my defense, I always said I thought he wasn't good, but also very inexperienced compared to other finals coaches.

I think the worst one i did was really backing in Ben Kennedy. Had a pies mate who didn't want to lose him, i rolled around with the sig "I think Ben Kennedy will surprise everyone" after saying it the day we got him. Tried to defend Lumumba who was already showing crazy signs but hadn't quite gone off the deep end.

Other than that, i don't really neg much on players except for one. My probably more is probably believing in players that have got the arse in recent times

Wait who is the one you Neg on?
- I guess I flip flop alot on Tyson, but mostly negative
- I think I'm balanced on Hogan, although I know some people think I neg on him because they are fellow Sooks

- I think I'm balanced on Hogan, although I know some people think I neg on him because they are fellow Sooks

Actually I owe you a piece of humble pie, or do you give it to me?

Ablett was crap in his final.

Wagner

Actually I owe you a piece of humble pie, or do you give it to me?

Ablett was crap in his final.

Dude if you could find me some Aussie beer and send it my way we can pretend that never happened (fosters and coopers don’t count)

Ok here to officially eat my humble pie on Goodwin.

-The payers are playing for him
- We have learnt a bit better how to respond in quarter - though that Geelong performance stil burns

I never called for him to be sacked or any crazy s**t - but said he wasn’t good, and wasn’t sure if it was due to Huang inexperience or him just not being good

I now think he is good

Dude if you could find me some Aussie beer and send it my way we can pretend that never happened (fosters and coopers don’t count)

Mate I had a coopers in Alberta and campaigners always buy me fosters but I can't find any good stuff. I'd kill for a bloody VB or Crowny

Not so much on this forum, but in general I have slammed Frosty to anyone who would talk footy with me, sorry Frosty.

I will be close on Goodwin, very dependent on if we compete against Hawthorn

- when i watched Essendon I though he didn't have the team anymore - I am certainly wrong on this
- Said he cant adjust within games, which still might be the case
- thought he got out coached fairly often, like people picking apart our game plan easily,, not being able to stop a run on
- And we had some problem between the head, related to the above, but quarters so terrible they would cost us the game, even if we one the other 3

On the plus side they seem to have adjusted out game style and structural issues effectively, I think by about round 20 LOL

I believed all of this until the WC game (Geelong and Sydney games recent examples), but I do think Hawthorn is a real test of the above. I'll eat my pie if we are competitive and not made fools of

In my defense, I always said I thought he wasn't good, but also very inexperienced compared to other finals coaches.

I know we have opposite views of Goodwin, and i will be the first to say he had things to work on no doubt but the deficiencies weren't as glaring as some where making them out to be. We were did a lot of things right, it was just some tweaking and now the critical factor seems to be the players truly believe in themselves and Goodwin, its as if the WCE finally made the penny drop.

I know i am posting this after the Hawks win but regardless of the result Friday night it should have given you confidence in Goodwin and the players are all heading in the right direction, the win just make it all the more satisfying.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back