The Hundred

Remove this Banner Ad

Now now OP. You asked for thoughts.
Don’t get pissy if someone don’t like T20.
Turning your nose at T20 is elitist snobbery at its finest
There is a subsection of Cricket fans that think its cool to turn their nose at T20 cricket like its somehow beneath them

It is okay to enjoy all forms of cricket, nobody will think any less of you. Tests are great, T20s are entertaining as well.

Turning your nose at T20 is elitist snobbery at its finest
There is a subsection of Cricket fans that think its cool to turn their nose at T20 cricket like its somehow beneath them

It is okay to enjoy all forms of cricket, nobody will think any less of you. Tests are great, T20s are entertaining as well.

It’s crap cricket.
Slog, slog, slower ball, wide, slog, slog.

Spare the judgment pal, I don’t judge those who like it. I just voice my view that it is rubbish.

I suggest watching a Virat Kohli T20 innings before writing off the whole game as slogging
That's my problem with the game. In itself it's actually pretty boring with results being often obvious fairly early on the piece so we end up concentrating on individual (usually a batsman) brilliance.

I suggest watching a Virat Kohli T20 innings before writing off the whole game as slogging

I’ve watched enough to form a view. Thanks all the same.

Scourge of the cricketing world.

You see its the visceral hatred of T20 that I think is smug and elitist

T20 Haters are the Vegans of the Cricket world

Frankly, I don’t give a s**t what you think on the matter.
I don’t like T20, you do, you can either come to terms with that or this conversation is over.

You see its the visceral hatred of T20 that I think is smug and elitist

T20 Haters are the Vegans of the Cricket world

It always comes down to "Twenty20 is s**t because the players don't have to kill time for 6 and a half hours".

One wonders how they tolerate football let alone enjoy it.

While I'm at it happy_eagle a quick peruse finds I only made 7 posts last BBL season in relevant threads, only 1 to voice my dislike of the comp, and that wasn't in a match thread. Say whatever you want but I do allow those that enjoy the format to do so in peace.

Let me dislike it peace, but that doesn't mean I can't where relevant discuss it.
It always comes down to "Twenty20 is s**t because the players don't have to kill time for 6 and a half hours".

One wonders how they tolerate football let alone enjoy it.
Funnily enough, on that search found yourself shouting down those that don't like the format.
Maybe learn to be more tolerant of other viewpoints. :thumbsu:

I understand if people don't like it but it comes across as needlessly belligerent to say it's terrible when plenty of people plainly like it. T20 is fine for what it is, I enjoy it but it is largely forgettable. I went to one earlier this year and can't really recall anything about it apart from the fact that Hobart got thrashed which meant we were on the road early enough for tea at the Pontville pub.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand if people don't like it but it comes across as needlessly belligerent to say it's terrible when plenty of people plainly like it. T20 is fine for what it is, I enjoy it but it is largely forgettable. I went to one earlier this year and can't really recall anything about it apart from the fact that Hobart got thrashed which meant we were on the road early enough for tea at the Pontville pub.

Does it? I enjoy BBL but I think the argument that it is taking away from the traditional game and the future club/country fight is worth debate and is entirely reasonable to bring up in a thread about England going from is nearly 150 year old county traditions to a new franchise system.

IPL now has a formalised space in the international calendar - what if IPL gets extended to three or four months? There is desire in India for that.

New Zealand among many test nations is cutting the number of tests they host in favour of more T20.

What if this now English comp and the BBL start expanding more and more?

Cities and venues have been chosen.

The ECB also announced the cities that will host the new eight-team Twenty20 tournament in 2020.

Southampton, Birmingham, Leeds, London, Manchester, Cardiff and Nottingham have been selected for the competition.

Both Lord's and The Oval will host newly created teams in the competition with the Ageas Bowl, Edgbaston, Headingley, Old Trafford, the Swalec Stadium and Trent Bridge the other grounds chosen.

The BBC will broadcast live TV coverage of the new men's domestic T20 tournament each summer from 2020 to 2024.

[...]

The ECB has also named the eight venues that will host its new city-based Twenty20 competition, which it believes can make the sport "relevant to a whole new audience".

The as yet unnamed tournament will run for an initial five years from 2020 and be played alongside the existing T20 Blast.

The eight venues announced on Wednesday will all have new teams created around them, with two in London.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/43063449

The Hundred: What happened at 100-ball Trent Bridge trials?

17 September 2018

Trials for the new 100-ball cricket format - called, logically enough, 'The Hundred' - continued with two North versus South matches at Trent Bridge on Monday.

Aimed at attracting a wider audience to the game, the eight-team event in seven UK cities will be played over five weeks starting in 2020.

The rules, at least per Monday's games, see the 100 balls delivered in blocks of 10, with each bowler permitted a maximum of 20 balls, either in blocks of five or 10. The bowling changes end every 10 balls, but a bowler can deliver the last five balls from one end and the first five from the other end if desired.

The North won the first game by nine runs in two hours 17 minutes and then claimed the second, by six wickets.

A number of England international players have backed the concept, but the Professional Cricketers' Association has expressed its concern and India captain Virat Kohli has said he cannot imagine the need for another form of the game.

This is the second pilot day at Trent Bridge, with one more to follow on Tuesday.

A third women's trial match will take place at Loughborough on 27 September.

There will be a board meeting in November to determine the rules, with team names for the new franchises still under discussion.

What were the other rules?
  • A 20-ball powerplay to start the innings - with two fielders allowed outside the 30-yard circle.
  • Thereafter, fielding captains allowed a strategic timeout of up to two and a half minutes up to the 70th ball, only permitted after a bowler's five-ball block ends.
  • During these pauses in play, coaches can enter the field.
  • New batsman has 30 seconds to reach the crease and will always face the next delivery, even if the previous batsmen have crossed during a catch or run-out.
  • Two substitute fielders permitted to replace bowlers, who can return to bowl at any time.
  • Regulations remain a work in progress at this stage and could be subject to further change before the format is finalised.
What happened in the matches?

It took one hour and six minutes - including the maximum timeout - for the North to score 137-7.

Warwickshire opener Ed Pollock and Essex's Paul Walter got the South to 66 without loss after 25 balls of their reply, prompting North captain Samit Patel to call for the timeout.

It seemed to work as the South then went from 75-0 to 128 all out after 97 balls.

In match two the South were bowled out for 106 in 92 balls, the innings lasting 52 minutes.

What did those involved say?

North captain Samit Patel: "These trial games are just to see where we're at. I'm sure there will be different rules and regulations that may come into it but, for this bit, I think it's been pretty good.

"It did feel shorter. I know I bowled a lot of spinners - the interesting fact would be when I have to bowl the seamers, and how much time we have between overs, that kind of stuff.

"I reckon that you need to get that message across that there is a 'wow' factor of balls left, not a little thing on the bottom of the screen where people won't be able to see it."

Worcestershire's Daryl Mitchell, chairman of the Professional Cricketers' Association, who featured in the second match: "We are not far away from where we want to be."

North coach Mark Ramprakash: "The captains have had to be really sharp, the bowlers have to be on their toes and could be called upon at any moment.

"It is very consumer friendly; it's a shorter, sharper format. It's taking things to a more simple level.

"It's very easy to be a bit suspicious of new things - T20 was frowned upon and a lot of people didn't think it would work. I think this can sit in the domestic calendar and it's going to be very interesting to see."

ECB consultant Trent Woodhill: "Games that have had the strategy break, there's been a change. There have been wickets falling straight after."

Analysis
Jonathan Agnew, BBC cricket correspondent

"What we're watching is effectively a T20 game. There is some tinkering - it's 100 balls, it's got to be done in 65 minutes, it gives it a two-and-a-half-hour time frame.

"There are huge established cricketing areas of the country that are going to have to form allegiances. Leicester hate Nottingham, so why are their fans going to come to Trent Bridge to watch a team that might not have any of their players in it?

"They want new people to come and watch it but I had scores of messages from people who went to The Oval last week to watch the Test match because of Alastair Cook, James Anderson and England. They had never been to a cricket match before - they will come back because they loved what they saw."

Agnew also tweeted: "I'm not convinced it's radical enough either to offend or be the magic bullet.

"We don't know the precise format yet. It is for a new audience. So If I like it, that is not what the ECB wants. If I don't like it, my view is irrelevant anyway."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/45552519

Just worried about the t20 causing a less than interesting test series. no that is obvious of course.
gets more players involved but does it do anything else? short games, short attention spans and therefore
the test will ... cutting short because I have no time to discuss this .

getting the drift of letting it all go too long is going to make everyone choose the short change. got a penny anyone... ?

1. Birmingham - West Midlands - Edgbaston
2. Cardiff - Wales - Sophia Gardens
3. Leeds - Yorkshire - Headingly
4. London - London - The Oval
5. Manchester - North West - Old Trafford
6. Newcastle - North East - Riverside Ground
7. Nottingham - East Midlands - Trent Bridge
8. Southampton - South East - Rose Bowl

That's not a bad list. The Oval is better for high jinx than Lords for the London games.

Didn't England invent T20 cricket?

I like the separation of BBL from List A and FC cricket here. If you play for WA then you can play in the Matador Cup or the Shield. When the BBL rolls around you can play for Hobart Hurricanes if you so choose then come back to WA.

Anyway I don't really see the point of having two T20 comps running in England.

T20 is tailor made for FTA. I hope at least one of them goes off like a rocket on terrestrial.

ECB and Surrey at loggerheads over Hundred tournament blueprint

• Kia Oval in dispute after county voted against playing format
• We’ll continue to have discussions, says ECB chief Harrison

The England and Wales Cricket Board confirmed full sign-off of playing conditions for the Hundred on Thursday But Tom Harrison, the governing body’s chief executive, declined to confirm the Kia Oval will be a host venue after Surrey voted against the conditions.

English cricket’s new eight-team tournament, which starts in 2020, required a two-thirds majority among the 18 first-class counties to introduce a new format but Surrey, already announced as a host county last year, felt unable to endorse the 100-ball concept.

Despite this reflecting the club’s internal view – the decision went through their committee and management board – and assurances that they would be happy to go with the majority verdict, this solitary opposing vote is reported to have incensed the ECB chairman, Colin Graves, who is now considering stripping the Oval of hosting rights.

To snub the second biggest cricket ground in the country – one which is set to increase its capacity from 25,500 to 40,000 in the coming years and has a strong track record of sell-outs – would be a huge decision by the ECB.

But speaking at the England team hotel in Barbados, Harrison was unable to offer any assurances as to their future involvement.

Instead, when asked about the issue, Harrison repeatedly spoke of “overwhelming support” and said: “We’ll continue to have discussions to get everyone comfortable with the details. We’re working hard to get every single stakeholder behind it. I’m sure we will.

“We’d love the whole game to be with us. I’m not going to comment [on the Oval situation]. It’s a board-level matter. There’s a lot of speculation around this. The board and executive are working together to make this a success.”

Announcing details of the format was the first time the ECB has officially referred to the new competition as “the Hundred”. As expected, it will be 100 balls per innings, bowled in blocks of 10 from each end, with a 25-ball bowler powerplay at the start. Each bowling side will get a “strategic timeout” of up to two and a half minutes mid-innings.

Team names and branding for the tournament are expected to be revealed in the coming months. “It’s already a successful event in terms of not just finances [as a key element of the ECB’s £1.1bn media rights deal] but the excitement generated,” Harrison said.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/feb/21/ecb-surrey-hundred-format-kia-oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Back