The Hundred

Santana

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 28, 2008
Surprised there isn't already a thread on this. It's generating a lot of debate within Cricket circles.

Teams:

Birmingham Phoenix
London Spirit

Manchester Originals
Northern Superchargers
Oval Invincibles
Southern Brave
Trent Rockets

Welsh Fire

Men's Fixtures
Women's Fixtures

What are the rules?
  • Each innings lasts 100 balls and is scheduled to take 65 minutes.
  • Two sets of five deliveries will be bowled before changing ends.
  • A bowler can bowl two successive sets of five from the same end or successive sets of five from each end.
  • Each bowler can bowl a maximum of 20 deliveries in an innings.
  • The Powerplay will be the first 25 deliveries of an 100-ball innings.
  • The fielding team can take a two-minute strategic time-out at any stage after the first 25 deliveries.
  • If a team is not in position to bowl the last five balls of the innings within 65 minutes, one fewer fielder will be permitted outside the fielding restriction area.
  • No drinks intervals are permitted. Players may be given drinks at the boundary edge or at the fall of a wicket provided no playing time is wasted.
  • If a batter is out caught, and the batters crossed while the ball was in the air, the non-striker returns to his/her original end.
  • Each team will be allowed a maximum of one unsuccessful DRS review per innings.
  • To constitute a match, a minimum of 25 balls has to be bowled to the side batting second, unless a result has been achieved earlier.
  • Each team plays eight matches. There are 2 points awarded for a win, 1 point for a tie/no result and 0 points for a loss.
  • The team finishing top of the group progresses straight to the final. The teams finishing second and third will compete in the 'Eliminator', with the winner progressing to the final.
  • In the knock-out stages, if a match is tied, then a "Super 5" will be played, with the winner being the team which scores the most runs from a further five balls.

u4Pmzy4.jpg

Last edited:
Both innings of last night's match took about 73 minutes, which is just short of what T20 was supposed to be back in the day. Way too much stuffing around. Ten-ball overs are fine, but they should get rid of the option to change the bowler after five balls--unnecessary complication and wastes time.

Either way, it's just a dumb old game of cricket, which is always going to be more interesting than the predictable opinions of snobby *faces.

Kid A

Club Legend
Aug 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide
Not sure I have the attention span to watch 100 balls per innings. Maybe we could reduce it to something manageable, like say 4 overs a side with a hit-off at the end if the scores are drawn?

Bareth Garry

Team Captain
Jan 20, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
I can't believe the state of those on screen graphics. Cricket video games have better presentation than that.

If the purpose of this format is to attract a new kind of viewer and not for the regular fan then whose idea was it to mess around with the scoreboard. It would seem pretty obvious to me that anything that takes up so much space in the picture and is so in-your-face would be an instant turn-off for people who come in to watch TV.

Nov 3, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
West Coast
I can't believe the state of those on screen graphics. Cricket video games have better presentation than that.

If the purpose of this format is to attract a new kind of viewer and not for the regular fan then whose idea was it to mess around with the scoreboard. It would seem pretty obvious to me that anything that takes up so much space in the picture and is so in-your-face would be an instant turn-off for people who come in to watch TV.

It's ridiculous, if I was a newbie I'd have no idea what was going on. Surely at the very least you'd have:
- Runs and balls next to each other
- Balls remaining (maybe '20/100', or '20 down, 80 to go')
1626956771974.png

It's literally an ultra dumbed down version of cricket.. how hard can it be to teach a newbie how many balls are in an over etc. They'll learn the rules for The Hundred and then will have to learn a new set of rules for T20/ODI/Tests.

Oct 6, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Patriots, Golden State, Wildcats
Oval Invincibles: 1 Jason Roy, 2 Will Jacks, 3 Colin Ingram, 4 Laurie Evans, 5 Sam Billings, 6 Sam Curran 7, Tom Curran, 8 Nathan Sowter, 9 Sunil Narine, 10 Saqib Mahmood, 11 Reece Topley

Manchester Originals: 1 Phil Salt, 2 Jos Buttler, 3 Joe Clarke, 4 Colin Munro, 5 Tom Lammonby, 6 Carlos Brathwaite, 7 Calvin Harrison, 8 Tom Hartley, 9 Fred Klaassen, 10 Steven Finn, 11 Matt Parkinson

Oct 6, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Pros -

more free to air coverage

an excuse to actually explain the game at a very basic level to new viewers

an opportunity to get more top players competing on English/Welsh soil

allying entertainment to the game and maybe engage another new audience..

Cons -

nobody and I surely mean nobody thought 'what we really need is another new format especially one that is very close to an existing proven one'

Established cricket fans sighing eternally at the shoite graphics and cringe inducing coverage even when trying not to

Oct 6, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
I actually dont mind the 5 ball or 10 balls in a period. Fielding teams have the option of continuing their bowling spell till the 10th ball . Too often batting teams, have the option of blocking out one bowler and looking to settle down or target the bowler from the other end.

It gives the bowling team the option , if they are bowling really well, to put on that pressure for a continued period of time.

Interceptor

All Australian
Aug 20, 2009
London, UK
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Caught the very end of the men's match last night and I can't believe the BBC are screening this rubbish.
The women's match apparently broke viewer and attendance records, but how long will the gimmick last?
If they wanted to interest the next gen of supporters, then the ECB shouldn've sold off so much cricket coverage to pay tv.

Seems like cricket's equivalent of AFL-X.

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 25, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Caught the very end of the men's match last night and I can't believe the BBC are screening this rubbish.
The women's match apparently broke viewer and attendance records, but how long will the gimmick last?
If they wanted to interest the next gen of supporters, then the ECB shouldn've sold off so much cricket coverage to pay tv.

Seems like cricket's equivalent of AFL-X.

AFL-X is a very apt comparison.

Back