Mega Thread The hunt for a new senior coach

Who will be coaching Port Adelaide in 2013? (3rd Poll)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

iskaral

Team Captain
Sep 10, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
So, the Primus experiment is now a dismal failure.

Who is available and more importantly can we afford to pay him out?

Do we have the cash to throw at Malthouse / Roos / anyone else with experience, success and willingness to accept the challenge.

Should we be thinking right outside the square? The Bulldogs went with a highly credentialled man with limited AFL experience, and now they're hardly better than us - so the high risk / high reward thing can backfire on a club (sorta sounds like us anyway)

Could we look at someone with another code background. An NRL / ARU man who could teach our boys how to tackle would be a bonus - at least at the assistant level.

Our fitness is garbage. How about canvasing some ex-special forces fitness guru. Those guys thrive on adversity and understand that success comes through dedication, team work and sacrifice - areas that we sadly lack.

I dunno. I'm so disheartened at the moment. Any and all options should at least be looked at. Who knows where the answer will come from?

Before we look at Primus we need to have a good look at Rhode and Fallon.
You could have a cross between Barassi, Matthews and Malthouse and it would fail under our current set up.

Wake up guys....Firstly we don't have the cash, and even if we had $10M, Malthouse and Roos are not coming
Don't waste your thoughts on it, or our time reading it

Can somebody come up with a list of viable options for us to discuss (please exclude Malthouse, Matthews, Roos, Choco, Ayres, Pagan and Blighty)

Replace Rhode with someone who has been part of a successful system at AFL level in recent years

Get that person to clean out the football department and put better people in place.

Back to basics with the fitness coaches. As stated in another thread get hold of the eagles format and see who is still around first hand. Plenty of knowledgable hard heads around Paul Fyfield one of them. He has done plenty here in vic and presents his fighters in first class order. Babby is another although not sure if he is currently contracted. Hand them over to those that know, then hand them back ready to pick up a footy.

Mark Harvey? His list was decimated by injury at the Shockers, and was crucified by the Freo board. Was an absolute hard nut at Essendon. Would come at a bargain price with the attraction of no ties to Port. Just throwin it out there...

you can only go to the market with the cattle you have. Stick with Primus but provide him with fit able and bulked up beef. Spend the money pre season and the market will look after itself.

Mark Harvey has baggage and was highly criticized at the Dockers for just the stuff we are experiencing
So it's a no from me

My list would be: not in order
Phillip Walsh
Jade Rawlings
Peter Sumich
Gavin Brown
Scott Burns
Ben Hart
Leon Cameron
Brendon Lade
Gary Odonnell
Simon Goodwin
Brent Montgomery
Dean Bailey
Sean Wellman
Brett Lovett
Justin Leppitsch

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Balme is an option for Footy Manager...he knows KT well and may be looking to come home
I believe Neil Balme is Western Australian originally?
Scott Burns sounds good and we don't have to pay Primus out because there was a clause in his contract for us not to renew if we aren't happy(I believe?)

you can only go to the market with the cattle you have. Stick with Primus but provide him with fit able and bulked up beef. Spend the money pre season and the market will look after itself.

Yeah, i just don't buy this idea that, if surrounded by more staff and "better players", Primus could make a good coach. As an assistant he oversaw a midfield that was routinely smashed, and at no stage did he look like anything resembling a senior coaching candidate. He was a poor assistant at a bottom 4 club who applied for and was elevated to the senior position. It was never going to work. The assistant coaches who do go on to successful careers as senior coaches ALWAYS come from successful clubs with proven, successful systems.

What are the new AFL conditions about poaching assistant coaches and having to pay compo to the poached club??? We might not be able to afford to poach an assistant coach.

Wake up guys....Firstly we don't have the cash, and even if we had $10M, Malthouse and Roos are not coming
Don't waste your thoughts on it, or our time reading it

Can somebody come up with a list of viable options for us to discuss (please exclude Malthouse, Matthews, Roos, Choco, Ayres, Pagan and Blighty)

Ayres is viable. Really not sure why he gets such a bad wrap.

We're not at a stage where we're in a position to tinker here and there to push for top-4/flag, we're at a stage where our entire list needs to be reprogrammed with the very fundamentals of the game: workrate, skills, effort, desire, tackling, pressure, going in hard, implementing effective structures in all zones of the ground, the absolute freaking works.

Gary Ayres is capable of this, would kill for another shot at it and his rehabilitation at Port Melbourne may have given him an extra string or two to his bow in terms of introspection and what it takes to convert a good minor round team into a genuine contender and accept the input of others which was the chief knock on him at Geelong and Adelaide.

He was a footballer's footballer as a player and wouldn't put up with half the s**t the current regime has for the past 5 years and would be less of a risk than what would be an 'all the marbles' dice-roll on an unproven assistant.

Provided we swept the entire football department clean - Rohde, Cripps, Falloon, Hocking, everyone GTFO - and put capable people around him with the power of veto where necessary especially pertaining to list management I'd give him 2 years to get our s**t together without batting an eyelid.

All that being said, it would be a deeply unpopular choice with the 5 and a half people we have left that go to games and there's no way our week-kneed board would have the cajones to make such an appointment.

What are the new AFL conditions about poaching assistant coaches and having to pay compo to the poached club??? We might not be able to afford to poach an assistant coach.
I thought most clubs would give their assistants their blessing if they are fortunate enough to be applicants for a senior position?

Ayres is viable. Really not sure why he gets such a bad wrap.

We're not at a stage where we're in a position to tinker here and there to push for top-4/flag, we're at a stage where our entire list needs to be reprogrammed with the very fundamentals of the game: workrate, skills, effort, desire, tackling, pressure, going in hard, implementing effective structures in all zones of the ground, the absolute freaking works.

Gary Ayres is capable of this, would kill for another shot at it and his rehabilitation at Port Melbourne may have given him an extra string or two to his bow in terms of introspection and what it takes to convert a good minor round team into a genuine contender and accept the input of others which was the chief knock on him at Geelong and Adelaide.

He was a footballer's footballer as a player and wouldn't put up with half the s**t the current regime has for the past 5 years and would be less of a risk than what would be an 'all the marbles' dice-roll on an unproven assistant.

Provided we swept the entire football department clean - Rohde, Cripps, Falloon, Hocking, everyone GTFO - and put capable people around him with the power of veto where necessary especially pertaining to list management I'd give him 2 years to get our s**t together without batting an eyelid.

All that being said, it would be a deeply unpopular choice with the 5 and a half people we have left that go to games and there's no way our week-kneed board would have the cajones to make such an appointment.

I'm with you tribey. I'd get him to the club in one of 3 or 4 capacities as I wrote in the other thread. I fully agree with the bold bits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back