Mega Thread The hunt for a new senior coach

Who will be coaching Port Adelaide in 2013? (3rd Poll)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 27, 2004
Burton
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Southampton FC
For any of you that have a recorded replay of the game on the weekend, pause the game at the 1.34 minutes to go of the last quarter. GWS had just run into an open goal and put the icing on the cake. The camera briefly pans to the GWS coaches box. Kevin Sheedy is literally laughing and has a big smile on his face (good on him) Mark Williams is motionless with a forlorn look on his face like he has just lost the game. hmmm

bballscout

Cancelled
Apr 22, 2011
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
How much money can Port throw at a HC? Assuming not as much as other clubs, could it be a hinderance to getting a top asst?

AFL 360 were pumping up choco for a return. They feel that Port will at the very least talk to him.
It's a bit romantic don't you think? Massive stretch to think he would come back, let alone our board wanting him back. GWS could have got him some excellent perspective though.

I gotta admit I still love him. He can't possibly be senior coach ever again though. I think he will make his way back in due time in some capacity whether it be internal or external.

EDIT: Can we get the thread name changed to The hunt for a new senior couch, this is more accurate and is in line with hunting for a new chair.

If Williams comes back he should be working for free, after all we have paid him for the past two years. I don't have aproblem with paying out his contract....if he didn't just walk into a job elsewhere.

Teal Plums

Team Captain
Sep 3, 2004
South Oz
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
West Ham, Jazz, Vikings
Lol!

Good assistant but will never return again at senior level. Lacks tactics, leadership and the general aura a HC should have.

Not to mention he is an embarrassment in press conferences, struggles to string a sentence together and I generally think that the elevator doesn't arrive to the top floor.

I once heard him being interviewed some years ago (in capacity of the Bombers assistant coach I think) saying that Adelaide teams had an unfair advantage at AAMI Stadium because of the dew on the oval. He went on to say that the AFL needs to do something about it.

No thanks.

Not to mention he is an embarrassment in press conferences, struggles to string a sentence together and I generally think that the elevator doesn't arrive to the top floor.

I once heard him being interviewed some years ago (in capacity of the Bombers assistant coach I think) saying that Adelaide teams had an unfair advantage at AAMI Stadium because of the dew on the oval. He went on to say that the AFL needs to do something about it.

No thanks.

The guy had been with a brain tumor, probably a little inconsiderate.

srv23

Club Legend
Nov 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
To be honest I'm surprised at the number of people (idiots on 5aa included) who think that Port must get a guy who is an experienced previous head coach - getting a Malthouse/Roos type is a nice pipe dream but the reality is that since the Brisbane threepeat - only 1 flag has been won by a previously experienced Head Coach - Malthouse at the Pies in 2010, and it took the guy 10 years to deliver that flag.
04 - Port - Williams
05 - Sydney - Roos
06 - West Coast - Worsfold
07/09 - Thompson - Cats
08 - Clarkson - Hawks
11 - Scott - Cats

Of the current top 8 clubs - all are coached by previously untried coaches. The current "recipe for successful coaching" is to get a guy who is an experienced assistant coach, from a succesful system and surround him with a strong assistant coaching panel, ideally with an experienced coach in a mentoring type role. I realise the situation you guys are in and the key is that whoever is chosen but be given the license to be his own man, surround himself with the right people, cull the list as he sees appropriate and properly rebuild the list to win a flag. The most important thing is not to make the Melbourne mistake of assuming a change in Head Coach will fix everything without addressing all the off field problems and Port have started in the right direction by getting rid of Duncanson.

Ignore the idiots from other clubs that believe Port will/should fold while their clubs get propped up year after year by the AFL. You guys have had more success in your short history in the AFL than many of these clubs have in the last 50 year - only 5 clubs have won a flag since you guys last did so if anyone thinks you should fold then there's another 10 clubs out there that need to have a good hard look at themselves.

Good luck - it's a s**t time having been through it last year, but at least you can feel, for the first time that there is a chance that things might turn around. And even though you no doubt hate us as much as we hate you, what we have achieved this year shows that implementing change, getting the right people to the club and getting the right attitude around the club can result in things turning around on field pretty quick.

Canoogs

Club Legend
Apr 29, 2012
Not Canada
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Ignore the idiots from other clubs that believe Port will/should fold while their clubs get propped up year after year by the AFL. You guys have had more success in your short history in the AFL than many of these clubs have in the last 50 year - only 5 clubs have won a flag since you guys last did so if anyone thinks you should fold then there's another 10 clubs out there that need to have a good hard look at themselves.
Love this sentiment. It's easy to forget in all the rivalry between the clubs that both clubs aren't just our worst supporters. Cheers.

I think you could add "Bomber" Thompson to the list of possibles. Looking at his body language last night on AFL360, especially when Eade mentions they were discussing it out the back before they came on.

******* hope not. Had a team that could've coached itself to a few premierships and only had a 50% record with them, then had a rookie coach take over the joint and immediately win a premiership with a list of less quality than what Thompson had at his disposal.

Jun 19, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
To be honest I'm surprised at the number of people (idiots on 5aa included) who think that Port must get a guy who is an experienced previous head coach - getting a Malthouse/Roos type is a nice pipe dream but the reality is that since the Brisbane threepeat - only 1 flag has been won by a previously experienced Head Coach - Malthouse at the Pies in 2010, and it took the guy 10 years to deliver that flag.
04 - Port - Williams
05 - Sydney - Roos
06 - West Coast - Worsfold
07/09 - Thompson - Cats
08 - Clarkson - Hawks
11 - Scott - Cats

Of the current top 8 clubs - all are coached by previously untried coaches.

Absolutely agree with this. I'm highly dubious of people like Eade and the people who just assume he has what it takes to get things right at Port because he's been around a while.
The Sanderson/Bailey type combo is my ideal choice, perhaps in the form of Burns/Walsh. People seem wary of the whole "untried coach" thing because the Primus experiment was a failure. But Primus was always the wrong kind of untried coach because his credentials were at best unknown and at worst poor.
A highly regarded, ambitious young current assistant from a successful system and without baggage is my preference.

Tredz

Club Legend
Apr 30, 2011
Brisbane, QLD
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Utah Jazz
Has Paul Roos come out said he's not interested? It's funny how bucketloads of cash can easily change a persons decision.

If the level of remuneration being offered is the primary factor in attracting a head coach then we'd be better off looking elsewhere. Remuneration of course needs to be A factor but not the overriding one. Proven ability, previous success with a burning desire to coach and willingness accept a new challenge should be primary motivating factors for an organization in our position. The new coach may not ultimately take us to a premiership but should at least be able to get us to a position from where we can launch a serious attempt.

StrappingTape

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 29, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Absolutely agree with this. I'm highly dubious of people like Eade and the people who just assume he has what it takes to get things right at Port because he's been around a while.

It's his record of taking shite teams and making them strong with little resources which is why people are talking about him.

Tredz

Club Legend
Apr 30, 2011
Brisbane, QLD
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Utah Jazz
I'd suggest the following four basic rules should be followed when selecting and appointing a new coach.
a) Have a clearly defined objective of what is wanted and expected
b) Obtain acceptance and commitment from all stake holders
c) Commit all necessary resources to ensure success
d) Prepare an exit strategy and/or succession plan

I'm not sure how many of these rules we would have followed with the appointment of Matthew Primus - possibly 2 at most, with the next appointment all 4 need to be addressed.

AFL 360 were pumping up choco for a return. They feel that Port will at the very least talk to him.
It's a bit romantic don't you think? Massive stretch to think he would come back, let alone our board wanting him back. GWS could have got him some excellent perspective though.

This is the flipside of people outside of Port Adelaide having literally no clue as to what's gone on over the past 5-6 years.

Williams is just as culpable for our current problems as any.

PJ Power

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 13, 2003
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The Sanderson/Bailey type combo is my ideal choice, perhaps in the form of Burns/Walsh. People seem wary of the whole "untried coach" thing because the Primus experiment was a failure. But Primus was always the wrong kind of untried coach because his credentials were at best unknown and at worst poor.
A highly regarded, ambitious young current assistant from a successful system and without baggage is my preference.

I'm ok with this Finny, but I expect that ultimately the board (with AFL and SANFL pressure) will want to go for a safer option. Our first priority is to stabilise and win back respect and fans before hitting AO. We're not quite in a position where I can see a bold young coach take us to a flag in 4 years.

I'm also excited at the possibility that Eade could bring good young assistants with him and draw decent players through trades and free agency. At least we know that Rocket will understand the value of key forwards after his work with Barry Hall and Tony Lockett over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back