Mega Thread The hunt for a new senior coach

Who will be coaching Port Adelaide in 2013? (3rd Poll)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
:rolleyes:

Barrett on Trade Radio... "it's a prime example of how not to go about a coaching appointment", "last man standing", "they'll have to explain themselves at the press conference this afternoon"
I wish the club would come out and directly smack this tosser down. We really need to make an example of one of these "Journalists". They do so much damage, how can they get away with it?

:rolleyes:

Barrett on Trade Radio... "it's a prime example of how not to go about a coaching appointment", "last man standing", "they'll have to explain themselves at the press conference this afternoon"
Why bother listening to guys like that?

Barrett's a s**t-stirrer, labouring under the false impression that his opinion has some sort of weight or credibility. Constantly gets stuff wrong; but once it's out there in the public domain it's accepted as fact.

Why bother listening to guys like that?

Barrett's a s**t-stirrer, labouring under the false impression that his opinion has some sort of weight or credibility. Constantly gets stuff wrong; but once it's out there in the public domain it's accepted as fact.
That's the problem though, most of the footballing public actually buy what he is selling.

I like spam....
Kinda like ham

green eggs and ham
sam I am

home-art-notix.jpg

On Tapatalk this up to page 353. Just sayin'

One of the interesting things about Hinkley for me is that he's a bit older than most other first time coaches.

I think his extra experience could be an advantage and I also think that he will have a great drive and hunger to succeed. He'll be out to prove a point and will have an absolute commitment to get the best out of himself and his players.

For the NFL fans here, Hinkley's career trajectory is I think reminiscent of legendary San Francisco 49ers coach Bill Walsh.

Walsh was a highly regarded assistant to Paul Brown but was overlooked for the head coaching position at Cincinnati after Brown retired.

He then left Cincinnati and became a journeyman assistant while applying unsuccessfully for other head coaching positions. His former coach and mentor Paul Brown refused to endorse him and his reputation became somewhat tarnished.

He was forced to drop down to college football to get a head coach position and after some success there was eventually approached by the 49ers who in the late 1970s were worse than Port are now.

So he came into NFL head coaching quite late, in his late 40s, with a burning desire to prove the doubters wrong. He won his first Super Bowl in his third season (ironically against Cincinnati, which was his "you were wrong" moment - he called it "vindication") and retired after ten seasons with three Super Bowl titles and a team and culture he'd built that was good enough to dominate for another decade and win two more titles.

His coaching career and impact on the NFL game is considered by most pundits as second only to the great Vince Lombardi.

Maybe Hinkley could be our Bill Walsh.

If Ken Hinkley wants to do a Bill Walsh then he'd better draft a Joe Montana. Montana was from Notre Dame so he 23 when drafted and took a couple of years to become the dominant quarterback. And Like Walsh he needs to draft and trade in a few other future great players like Jerry Rice, Ronnie Lott and co.

The Walsh story is common in US sports becuse of their strong college system. It used to happen a bit in the WA, SA and Vic state league comps when guys would go and coach in the bush and come back to the city. Dennis Pagan probably is the closest to a Bill Walsh in the AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I always liked how the the word Hunt was in the thread title, gave me the image of KT running around with a spear Tarzan like amongst Melbourne

For those who aren't at work today (or those lucky people who are managers, self-employed etc), Foxsports are streaming the press conference live.

If that sort of thing floats your boat.

For those who aren't at work today (or those lucky people who are managers, self-employed etc), Foxsports are streaming the press conference live.

If that sort of thing floats your boat.

hahaha, I'm at work and my comptuer screen is viewable from the walkway - I'm streaming this for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back