The I hate my job thread

Remove this Banner Ad

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
In my experience, these are the issues that will turn a tolerable job into an unendurable, unsustainable ordeal:

- Workplace discrimination (including but not limited to deliberately being isolated from co-workers/removed from office because of what your boss perceives to be your condition)
- Heavily compromised job security (being subject to monthly performance reviews)
- Having your employment publicly (or even privately) threatened where you haven't been guilty of serious incompetence/misconduct
- Physical/sexual abuse
- Being told to resign by your employer - you can guarantee your job will be gone soon under those circumstances
- Whimsical, capricious bosses who change their mind daily (including about training) and fly into rages so you never really know where you stand with them and are constantly tentative and nervous

This is in addition to the issues already described in this thread about egotistical, incompetent managers and so forth.

Jobs that involve demanding, hard work and low pay with little prospect of advancement (especially given the effort required to get such jobs) might fall into this category as well.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
I don’t like my job - but I’ve remained in it some time through a combination of apathy and also the fact that I like the team I directly work with, even though the whole thing is frustrating and stale and I’m over it, at least people in close proximity are friendly and considerate.

But I’m looking around, in no massive rush but actively looking. I would transfer at level, even to do the same kind of work elsewhere and to learn some new things and get out of a rut. In particular, it would be good to go somewhere new where I am an unknown so I could escape the kind of pigeonholing I currently experience - where I’m to useful where I am to my current employers to be considered for promotion or even development, because that would leave a hole in corporate knowledge where I am that they are too lazy to develop someone else in.

Going to find something new out there. Within the next 6 months is my aim.

Nugett

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I don’t like my job - but I’ve remained in it some time through a combination of apathy and also the fact that I like the team I directly work with, even though the whole thing is frustrating and stale and I’m over it, at least people in close proximity are friendly and considerate.

But I’m looking around, in no massive rush but actively looking. I would transfer at level, even to do the same kind of work elsewhere and to learn some new things and get out of a rut. In particular, it would be good to go somewhere new where I am an unknown so I could escape the kind of pigeonholing I currently experience - where I’m to useful where I am to my current employers to be considered for promotion or even development, because that would leave a hole in corporate knowledge where I am that they are too lazy to develop someone else in.

Going to find something new out there. Within the next 6 months is my aim.

Wishing you all the best in your search.

dirty2

F*** the southern power
Nov 6, 2016
Bar Rossa
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Arsenal
Started my new job December last year... but absolutely hate it... the place is so unorganized there is a job I started a month ago which isn't finished because after starting the boss said there was more important work he forgot about.. nothing works eg. plug machine into the power and it blows the fuse (14 times yesterday!) Safety is almost non existent and what ideas I've tried to bring from previous job (same industry) I get the answer of this is how we have always done it.... grrrrrr...
I quit a job that I could no longer bare in November... Despite having great qualifications and work experience, I'm still unemployed, and I'm broke AF.

I'd never tell people to stay in a job that makes you miserable. But you have to be a lot smarter about it than I was. My breaking point happened over the course of a week, and given how I went about quitting I didn't even serve a notice period. I was literally at the point where, if I could've sourced a gun, I would've strongly considered shooting my boss - self serving, would dump his staff in the s**t that wasn't of their making to save his own arse, was convinced he was the smartest person in every room (which wasn't even close to being true) etc - but despite that, I still should've been smarter.

The problems:
1. It was November, which was an awful time to look for work.
2. I didn't know that it was a terrible time to be looking, cos I hadn't done any looking before I quit.
3. Of course, I now have the difficulty with a lack of reference from the last job. And I don't quite have that much experience that it doesn't matter. I could find an old colleague to say nice things about my work with no problems, but if I look for work in the same sector, it'll take a prospective new employer about 2 minutes to find out that the colleague isn't the boss.

Quit your job, by all means - but never do it on a whim, and without having done some research beforehand.
Hope ya find a job soon if you haven't already.... been pretty close to just walking out of my job the last month.. but I have mrs and 3 kids at home (mrs stay at home mum) so as much I hate my job... I don't want to have to go home and tell the mrs I quit.... lol :(

Last edited:

Nugett

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Started my new job December last year... but absolutely hate it... the place is so unorganized there is a job I started a month ago which isn't finished because after starting the boss said there was more important work he forgot about.. nothing works plus a machine into the power and

Hope ya find a job soon if you haven't already.... been pretty close to just walking out of my job the last month.. but I have mrs and 3 kids at home (mrs stay at home mum) so as much I hate my job... I don't want to have to go home and tell the mrs I quit.... lol :(

I know where your coming from. It’s hard to quit when you have responsibilities. It’s why I still haven’t quit my horrible job. Just getting the opportunity and seeing what’s out there has been refreshing for me in the past couple days. A couple of the jobs I have applied for, means less money than what I’m on now, but I’m in a position where I can afford to take a pay cut, so it’s quite a relief that I’m no longer reliant on the money aspect. How ever I’m not in a position where I can just walk out either, I actually need the security aspect of still having a job :(

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
Started my new job December last year... but absolutely hate it... the place is so unorganized there is a job I started a month ago which isn't finished because after starting the boss said there was more important work he forgot about.. nothing works plus a machine into the power and

Thanks for the well wishes mate.

Funnily enough, I've just started a new job and am now in my second week... and it sounds a little bit like yours with the complete lack of organisation. No one outside of my immediate supervisor and one person in HR even knew I was starting. So it was my 3rd day before I could log onto a computer, it was a week before I was able to sit in the one desk for more than half a day, and after 9 days of this job - and having done all the induction s**t, reading of background etc... I still haven't been given any work to do, and I still haven't had a work-related conversation (ie. a handover, a discussion of my role or my immediate projects) that's lasted longer than 10 minutes.

I don't/I can't hate the job yet - cos I don't actually have a ******* clue what my job is. But I've really, really hated the last couple of weeks.

I've learned about myself over the last year that I am absolutely not one of those people who say that, if they won the lottery, they'd go to work the next day. I'd love it if I didn't have to work!

dirty2

F*** the southern power
Nov 6, 2016
Bar Rossa
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Arsenal
Thanks for the well wishes mate.

Funnily enough, I've just started a new job and am now in my second week... and it sounds a little bit like yours with the complete lack of organisation. No one outside of my immediate supervisor and one person in HR even knew I was starting. So it was my 3rd day before I could log onto a computer, it was a week before I was able to sit in the one desk for more than half a day, and after 9 days of this job - and having done all the induction s**t, reading of background etc... I still haven't been given any work to do, and I still haven't had a work-related conversation (ie. a handover, a discussion of my role or my immediate projects) that's lasted longer than 10 minutes.

I don't/I can't hate the job yet - cos I don't actually have a ******* clue what my job is. But I've really, really hated the last couple of weeks.

I've learned about myself over the last year that I am absolutely not one of those people who say that, if they won the lottery, they'd go to work the next day. I'd love it if I didn't have to work!
Hopefully u will start enjoying it... I went into my new job with I'm going to help them grow bring new ideas... but the honeymoon period diddnt last long when everything I said got shot down (wasn't asking to make big changes what would cost money) just little tweaks here and there... but it's Friday tomorrow thank * lol bring on the footy season

RAPPA

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 20, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Overall, I'd say I enjoy my job but I don't enjoy having to shoulder the burden in tasks that are in a two-person team. If you're regarded as reliable, you get lumped with more work because you're seen as someone who can get the job done. I will happily take on the work but if I'm paired with someone, I expect them to pull their weight. I find though - and i am to blame for allowing it to get to this stage - that if the other person's work is pretty crap (which it was when tasks her allocated) I just end up doing it myself because it would take too long to review it and re-do. This particular work we are doing has been going for quite some time and has involved a lot of hours, but I get frustrated when the other person complains that it has absorbed her time which means she hasn't been able to tackle other tasks when in reality, she's done sweet FA .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
I'd still work if I won the lottery but it would be much more on my conditions. Only 2-3 days a week and no Mondays or Fridays.

i currently dont dislike my job, but the manager is a campaigner. We used to have 2 blokes in our managers office run the department. They were quite lazy, but they knew their s**t and overall were good at dealing with grievances. Since all 3 retired (one got moved on) our managers office now has 4 women in it. Stuff knows how they are able to get away with having twice as many people do the same amount of work, but they have. The women have obviously decided its the girls time to shine and rule the roost with an iron fist. The workplace has become a primary school where everyone dobs each other in, and its first in best dressed. Our manager never listens to both sides of an arguement and she appears to be quite sexist. If im in a conflict with a woman, im on a hiding.

I think the only solution is to look for the same role at a different worksite/company. Currently im taking the manager to HR for Discrimination and Harrassment, but we all know how that will end. After 12 years of being in this job i crave for a workplace with just blokes.

Guju

Debutant
Mar 18, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I agree, women are hell to work with. They nit pick, like to complain, get emotional in arguments (danger, HR), can't do any heavy lifting or hard/dirty jobs, but demand equality (pay). Don't get me started on female bosses, especially in a factory.

boombastinac

Cancelled
Feb 4, 2020
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
North melbourne
You might hate your job but when there isn't much about in your industry you need to bide your time on Centrelink which is worse than what you were being paid at your current job.
So think of this before quitting your job due to hate how would you go on Centrelink

Feb 6, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
You might hate your job but when there isn't much about in your industry you need to bide your time on Centrelink which is worse than what you were being paid at your current job.
So think of this before quitting your job due to hate how would you go on Centrelink
That's right. My job is ace, I work in a shop selling stuffed spuds, the hours are long and sometimes it's hard remembering the customer orders but if I wasn't here I'd be on Centrelink having to line up to get my payments.

It's pretty grim there with people who spit on the floor non stop. Even saw some kid lose it and piss all over his chair.

That hardly ever happens at my store.

Stratton_Gun

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 4, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester United
Count me in for wanting a workplace with just blokes. The area I'm in at work rn would be 3/4 chicks. Before this role, was in more of a hands on role which was 90% guys. I mean you get the good and bad of either sex but women are genuinely more bitchy and love other peoples drama

For example ,as soon as my leader leaves her desk, the others girls start complaining that she's never around to help and then are so nice again once she's back. Under no illusion that as soon as I leave they probably whinge about me.
My role isn't too bad. Repetitive but my customers are pretty chill for the most part.
However 1 thing that really grinds my gears is getting handballed other peoples work when they are "sick". Notice the speech marks as they are probably at the beach lol. I'm on a salary and I'm happy to stay back an hour or 2 a week for my clients but good luck trying to justify to me why I should be doing other peoples work too in overtime (happy to if I can fit a bit in between my hours). It's like they forget you're already doing a full time job. It's not so much the hours but the fact I'm not getting paid for it

Thinking of leaving and have applied for a few places and even some interviews but see how we go

Reynolds Number

Cancelled
Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Stoke City, Dortmund, San José, As
I hated my last job. But thankfully I was terminated towards the end of probation.

Apr 10, 2015
Dirty white van
AFL Club
Essendon
Not sure if this fits in here but I recently sat on an interview panel and had this person apply for an admin role.

for the most part they smashed the interview until they:

- Said they wouldn't mention a previous employer who had a bad reputation (but then said their name 2 minutes later)
- Told us they had experiences with irate customers and let them go to continue to be mad until they calmed down and then went against company protocol because they agreed with the customer and spoke to their chef to make something they had been told not to (when we asked how would you deal with an irate customer).

Jul 14, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Colts, UVA, Anaheim Ducks
Have been a chef since i was 18 am now 25 and this year i took the plunge and did something i really enjoyed in high school which was graphic design.

Being a chef made me feel physically sick and ill at my last job absolute worst career out there wouldn't recommend anyone to do it.

Treated like s**t talked to like s**t many of hours worked unpaid has to be up there with the worst careers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back