The 'I Love Bev...BUT' Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

BRWB

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Look I love Bev as much as the next guy calling himself 'straight' should. In particular order, I love his guns, his delivering us a long awaited impossible flag, his craggy granite jaw, his love of his players, his Barret hatred, his self mown windswept surfer locks...

BUT

Bev does s**t sometimes that really annoys me.

Last year Bev played mid beast, Josh Dunkley (who is only a slightly better kick than his Dad - and that is really saying nothing good) forward. It was inexplicable and a horror show.watching poor Josh line up set shots. Horrific.

Bev eventually changed his mind (a rarity) and played Josh in the guts and that was all she wrote. However it took divine intervention from Bont Himself to make this happen. Bont let slip in an interview last yr that he went to Bev to suggest the very thing that many of us had been screaming about for weeks.

NOW this season I am praying for some more divine Bont intervention as I really lurve Bev BUT...

1 - Did Jackson Trengove run over Bev's dog after shitting in his conrnflakes after bedding his wife? Jeebus Bev - JT may be like the Titanic - a slow turning accident about to happen with ball in hand - BUT he is our best one on one contested defender by a Peter Street.So C'mon Bev, pick JT every week at FB and build our defence around him.

And 2 - Players who kick PIE FLOATERs suck in the backline. Some may recognise the reference to the abhorrent sounding SA dish of a pie floating in pea soup that somehow works. Well Caleb Daniel in the backline doesnt work. In cricket parlance, a 'pie' chucker is a bowler who bowls up balls that are very easy to smash for six. In footy a player who kicks a pie floater is someone who lacks penetration and speed on their kicking allowing Oppo zones to compress and pick their kicks off, creating turnovers and as we all know, a lot of Oppo goals come from turnovers.

So I know Bev loves Caleb Daniel back as a 'quarterback' but he plays like a quarterback with a busted shoulder. All twisting and turning, stopping and propping and evading while he searches for the perfect 30m pass as he knows be will have to kick a PIE FLOATER after 40m and the risk of his kick being picked off and scored against goes up exponentially. Meanwhile fwd momentum stops and the Oppo zone compresses. And when we don't have the ball our defenders are frantically looking around to ensure little CD isn't isolated deep on a 'big" bloke (read 80% of the AFL population). Just one more thing for our harried defenders to worry about.

WTF Bev?

It's bad enough watching Hunter kick his PIE FLOATERS further upfield while doing his dinky little dances as he stops and props constantly to kill our fwd momentum while he searches for a perfect kick within his limitations. And then win a BnF while he does it. But not deep in the backline Bev - C'mon.

So rather than post my annoyance in every thread its here. It's done. I feel better.

Last edited:

It seems a common theme that Bevo refuses to give games to our bona fide superstars like Jackson Trengove. Don't forget his refusal to play Will Minson in 2015! Perhaps the strangest one was the contempt he showed to Tom Campbell in 2018. All of us on here could plainly see that Campbell would have turned our season around but Bev's stubbornness hurt us yet again. The only explanation that they weren't allowed to play is that Bevo has some kind of short man complex because we know for sure it's not because they are s**t/cooked. Big lumbering blokes with no endurance and rubbish skills are the most important players because they give you so much structure. Also I'm pretty sure if we played Trengove in our final last year he would have belted the Giants and we'd be reigning Premiers right now.

Last edited:
I love Bev, but I would love him even more if he had a lazy four pack of three-ply he could spare me.

Actually that is a lie, I am not a fan of the coaches full stop ruin the game. This toilet paper situation
is weighing heavily on me 14 and 0 at supermarkets in the last two days.

The Jackson Trengove one will derail our season.

Having a pure lockdown defender negating the oppositions best KPF helps the other defenders zone off and fly for marks / interceptions. Also, preventing the KPF from taking a clean mark and converting a clear goal opportunity seems to be overlooked these days.

We will let other teams score easily again this year after we will toil and flood our own forward line. It’s self evident.

I heard that Beveridge blamed our missed targets yesterday. In the regular season, the cause of those missed targets will be pressure from the opposition. The ball will turn over and we need someone to defend one v one.

Trengove in. Cordy out. Cordy adds nothing team - not even in theory, at least when compared to Trengove.

A defensive structure with Trengove, Naughton and Keath seems rock solid to me. Even just Trengove and Keath.

I've heard from someone at the club that Bev is not a fan of Trengove at all, so would be very surprised if we see him at all this year unless we have a bad run of injuries.
Wasn't it Bevo who lured Trengove to the club in the first place?

Roarke Smith not up to AFL standard. Bailey Dale on the brink of being dropped big time. Bruce must remain forward with Naughton. Worrying signs from Schache and Dale as neither showed any form of contest even though one of them is 2 meters tall and can knock the opposition down. Defence will be torn a new one by every competent forward in the comp.

Sweet needs to be the secondary ruck. Allowing Timmy to roam back or forward depending on the current needs of the match. The positives are that JJ looked on fire, Bruce improves our forward line immensely. Tim showed glimmers of hope one minute, then the next minute he would perform what I wouldn't even call a tackle on Powell Pepper.

I've heard from someone at the club that Bev is not a fan of Trengove at all, so would be very surprised if we see him at all this year unless we have a bad run of injuries.
Which is ultra confusing given we coughed up around $500k a season for him whilst Bevo was coach.

Which is ultra confusing given we coughed up around $500k a season for him whilst Bevo was coach.

Even more confusing when he Had JT's better clone on our list (JR) and could be paying him half of JT's salary.

Not sure we'll ever know what happened there. Has to be mainly on the list manager at the time not Bev though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even more confusing when he Had JT's better clone on our list (JR) and could be paying him half of JT's salary.

Not sure we'll ever know what happened there. Has to be mainly on the list manager at the time not Bev though.
The money side maybe but Bev was dropping Roughead in his last year. I wasn’t sad that he left (not sure how much he was getting paid tbh) but I remember Matt Scarlett being excited about him as a defender. Always wonder what he could have achieved had he remained a defender.

The money side maybe but Bev was dropping Roughead in his last year. I wasn’t sad that he left (not sure how much he was getting paid tbh) but I remember Matt Scarlett being excited about him as a defender. Always wonder what he could have achieved had he remained a defender.

Yeah and Bev drops JT too, maybe he just hates big Rangas.

If we still had Roughead playing down back In his best position last year and this year we would be A lot better side. Shame Bevo didn’t see it that way tho!!

The versatility mantra has been a bit of a fail. When he started playing guys in their best positions/replaced the resting mids with forwards we started to look like a more functional side.
Same in offices : when employees are expected to be “multi-skilled”, responsibility for tasks decreases, as they can be left for someone else. People like to have ownership of their positions and consequently productivity improves. Theoretically 😉.

Love him to bits BUT toby McLean isn’t a forward.
Agree. Real shame as a year or so ago I was convinced he would be that gun small forward we were looking for. Just looks lost up there. Problem he has (to make the best 22) is his best role in the guts is the position we are stocked with. I suspect if he doesn’t have a good season and cements a starting role he will be either trade bait or will look to leave for opportunities. Anything can happen though (I.e, we have an injury crisis with our mids and he get extended minutes in the middle!!!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back