Mod. Notice The "I want to talk about old s**t that has nothing to with the OP but has relevence to something" thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Just watched our '13 final against the Hawks.

Top players still on the field - Sel & Silk.

Despite all the rule 'tweaks' it is amazing that the over the shoulder rule (except from when it is so blatant the umps have no choice) hasn't changed in more than 7 years.

Blitz was played from 1 end to the other in this game, including wing & ruck o_O Prolly still our best athlete.

Just watched our '13 final against the Hawks.

Top players still on the field - Sel & Silk.

Despite all the rule 'tweaks' it is amazing that the over the shoulder rule (except from when it is so blatant the umps have no choice) hasn't changed in more than 7 years.

Blitz was played from 1 end to the other in this game, including wing & ruck o_O Prolly still our best athlete.

Thing is in Round 1 this year our best player was - and never has been - our best athlete. But he's our best footballer by a long, long way.

Hard to argue based on the pick value... although he played 54 games... perhaps players taken in a the later rounds that are drafted and didn't play that number ?
To me the lesson to be learnt... one pick can fail even after your best draft ever... if you want to build thru draft one need multiple picks and multiple years.

THE BIGGEST DRAFT BUST FROM ALL 18 TEAMS THIS CENTURY

Geelong club banner

Kane Tenace (2003)
Normally extremely shrewd in the draft, Geelong missed the mark when they selected Kane Tenace with their first pick in the 2003 National Draft. Taken with pick seven overall on the back of an outstanding draft year with the Murray Bushrangers, Tenace failed to nail down a permanent spot as the Cats embarked on a golden era. Hamstring injuries saw the speedy winger miss out on both Geelong’s AFL and VFL premierships in 2007 and was ultimately delisted two years later. Tenace played 54 games in six seasons at Kardinia Park.
In retrospect, I don't necessarily rate that as the worst. 2003 was a weak draft year overall and there weren't a lot of good picks after Tenace anyway. Clarke, Trotter, and Dunn drafted after Tenance were similarly unspectacular picks. The best of the lot after him were Stanton and Mundy. Just not a very good draft.

So, while it's a bust, I don't know if I'd consider it relatively the worst pick based on the hand we had and the players available. 2012 when Grundy was still on the table and we went with Thurlow would seem a lot worse to me. Grundy is one of the most important players in the comp, and with him we would have been a huge shot for a flag with this group, while Thurlow played 46 games for us and is now gone. Even at the time it was stunning that we'd overlook a potentially premier ruckman for a flanker.

Even 2013 with Lang. In hindsight that draft seems to have been pretty deep. A lot of players after that pick forging out solid careers.

2014 we 'upgrade' our pick 14 to pick 10 to get Cockatoo. Pick 14 becomes Jake Lever. Which would have been better for us?

2014 we 'upgrade' our pick 14 to pick 10 to get Cockatoo. Pick 14 becomes Jake Lever. Which would have been better for us?

Even as someone who is relatively sanguine about Nakia (given the sample size is so small), I can still see how getting Cockatoo could have been a real coup if he'd come through injury-free and developed as we might have hoped.

As it is, with the 'benefit' of seeing so little output from Nakia over the years, Lever has proven to be a much more valuable commodity.

It's only five minutes to midnight for Cocky, though. So plenty of time left to redress the imbalance...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back