The I Was Right thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
Well, if we're going to have an I Was Wrong thread, it's only right that we have a spot for some excellent gloating. Step right this way, gc_26, I await your contributions...

I displayed my prescient, unique qualities of foresight that were Definitely Not Just Luck when I said that...
- Trent West was too small to be an AFL-standard ruckman
- Jared Rivers would wind up taking development games off Mitch Brown without ever playing really good football
- The one thing that would stand between StKilda and a flag would be Ross Lyon's refusal to play attacking footy with an outstanding forward line
- Tom Hawkins needed about 80 games to come good. (That Grand Final was game 79, so ok, I wasn't *quite* correct)
- Geelong should have stuck with Bomber past 2006
- Paul Chapman was never going to play well in the second year of his final contract...

... what did you get unerringly, gloatingly right?

Well, if we're going to have an I Was Wrong thread, it's only right that we have a spot for some excellent gloating. Step right this way, gc_26, I await your contributions...

I displayed my prescient, unique qualities of foresight that were Definitely Not Just Luck when I said that...
- Jared Rivers would wind up taking development games off Mitch Brown without ever playing really good football
- The one thing that would stand between StKilda and a flag would be Ross Lyon's refusal to play attacking footy with an outstanding forward line
- Tom Hawkins needed about 80 games to come good. (That Grand Final was game 79, so ok, I wasn't *quite* correct)
- Paul Chapman was never going to play well in the second year of his final contract...

Rivers played some really good footy for Geelong

Rivers was excellent for Geelong.

As for mine.

Geelong would win the 2007 and 2011 flags.

Just to get this thread humming, amongst all my wrongs, I suggested early on that-

-CS would be a great acquisition as coach and front man for our club and team.

-Blicavs would be a revelation.

-Mackie would be AA.

-Hawkins would be our MVP

All spot on!

WTF ???
Rivers played some very good games for Geelong and Brown was being used as a forward,so the opposite end of the ground to Rivers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WTF ???
Rivers played some very good games for Geelong and Brown was being used as a forward,so the opposite end of the ground to Rivers.
By the time Rivers was recruited Brown was being tried as a third defender. We tend to overhype Rivers on here in retrospect I think, he was solid enough but not as good a lockdown as Lonergan, nor as good a creative defender as Taylor.

I'd love to post in here but im not sure what the character limit is on this site.
There's no character limit here. We let Biggy and Blighty post in here all the time…

Oh. not that character…. my bad… :D

Carry on..

Go Catters

There's no character limit here. We let Biggy and Blighty post in here all the time…

Oh. not that character…. my bad… :D

Carry on..

Go Catters
I think Jon Douglas gives those 2 a run.

In regards to characters used at least.

And I've been known to get quite verbose at times.

460404-mitch-brown.jpg

By the time Rivers was recruited Brown was being tried as a third defender. We tend to overhype Rivers on here in retrospect I think, he was solid enough but not as good a lockdown as Lonergan, nor as good a creative defender as Taylor.
You're off on that one. Rivers was a very good player for us.

I saw Eardley play half a game in the VFL and knew he wasn't going to make it

I still can't see why he got the love here he did

Same goes for Schroeder, I never thought he was any good at all and have no idea how he won the Liston still

Not Geelong related but I told a mate when we were in year 11 that Simon Black would win a Brownlow one day, he was a 2nd year player at the time

If Brown was any good in that roll then he would have pushed Rivers out of the side and cemented a spot on his own merit, just as Kolo did in the second half of last year. Problem for Kolo now is that we have 4 players we are trying to fit into 3 positions; with Brown it never felt like he owned a position in the team, just always a caretaker until someone returned.

Whether we gave Brown a shot in the forward line or backline, he never did enough to cement his spot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back