Brownlow Medallist
Oct 20, 2004
Dili, Timor-Leste
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
Here we go...

I did not think the Dogs could get over the top of Hawthorn.

NEVER HAVE I BEEN SO HAPPY TO HAVE BEEN SO WRONG.

cats_09

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 21, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
In his time here Stanley has always shown a level of competence in the ruck - he wasn't always good but he was better in the ruck than as a forward.

Over the past 6 weeks, along with an improvement in the ruck the things that are impressing me more is what he is now doing when he isn't rucking:
- presenting on leads up the ground
- blocking for teammates
- getting back in defence to spoil the ball
- 2nd/3rd and more efforts when competing for the ball (such as on the wing today in the last quarter when the ball was kicked poorly to him but he didn't watch it go over his head or give up on it, he fought to keep possession with the team)

As those other aspects of his game has improved it seems to have helped in the ruck department also - credit to him for whatever has bought about this change because it's good to see him finally imposing himself on games

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CatRiot

Premiership Player
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Same tune... Stanley has silenced me lately.

I was a bit of a doubter of Jack Henry also at the start of the season, happily wrong on that one! Looks quite a talent.

foxdog50

Premium Gold
Aug 1, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Australia (Cricket)
Rhys Stanley.
Proving to be wrong on that one
I think there would be 100 of us would agree with this , and I'm one of them ( but it's not over the line yet, he has to play the rest of the season like this )

The Emu

Premiership Player
Sep 14, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
A few good games in a row does not erase years of mediocrity. Needs to maintain this level for a few seasons to be back square.

MacStradbroke

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
A few good games in a row does not erase years of mediocrity. Needs to maintain this level for a few seasons to be back square.
The past is irrelevant right now. Everything is in front of him now and he looks a different player.

dazbroncos

Max Rooke Appreciation Society
Oct 9, 2010
Los Angeles and Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Denver Broncos, Red Bull Racing
I get what you are saying - but he's at 6 in a row at the moment and hasn't just taken no name ruckman in the process - Goldy, Gawn and Martin to name a few.

Ive flogged him as hard as anyone early doors as he was fully getting what he deserved.

But he has totally tuned that around - and while 6 weeks does not a career make - he deserves credit for it in the short term.

Go Catters

The Emu

Premiership Player
Sep 14, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
Definitely happy he has turned his form around - we are no chance without a ruck that at least provides a contest. Hopefully he can maintain it - got nothing against the bloke just find his form frustrating when its clear he has the physical attributes (Murdoch another).

Top Bottom