The I Was Wrong thread

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Anyway, I was just replying to the question about Rohan being our quickest since Wojo
Oh ok, yeah fair enough. I tottally missed all that sorry. Forget everything I just said.
Would say yes, for sure. I'd say Rohan is actually quicker, Wojo could hold his pace for longer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cursed_Cat

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2005
Cairns
AFL Club
Geelong
Wojo
Turner
Goggin
Polinelli
Rohan

now there's some names
good list; Varcoe had his moments - Gary Sr was lightening quick; so quick in fact that I barely realised how fast he was when he played - just effortless.

Vdubs

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 1, 2008
48 J 09
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Arsenal
They were seriously good runners

Polinelli ran 2nd in a Stawell Gift behind Bill Howard who was a bit of a Stawell Gift Legend

And Goggin won the Ballarat Gift
good list; Varcoe had his moments - Gary Sr was lightening quick; so quick in fact that I barely realised how fast he was when he played - just effortless.
Varcoe and Senior certainly were as well.
I think Mad Dog Morgan and Bolton could run, as could Steve Lunn

goyoucatters

Premiership Player
Jan 31, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Stockport County, Chicago Cubs
I was wrong regarding Stanley.
Kudos to you for admitting what many of his detractors still won't.

He's one of the few that I've actually got half-right over the journey.

A bit like Danger's set-shots, I'm notoriously unreliable in these situations.

Catman

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 30, 2000
In a premiership drought
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
LUFC/MSRLC/MVFC
Good thread bump, I was wrong about Gary Rohan. I genuinely disliked him bobbing up out of nowhere to score goals against us then do nothing against everyone else.

Then we recruited him. My fury was only partially mitigated by him only costing us pick 61 or so.

I'm pretty wrong. Genuinely happy for him and love his attack and energy in our forward line. Plus the occasional chaos.
Ditto. Couldn't have said it better myself.

On SM-G930F using BigFooty.com mobile app

iameviljez

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 20, 2004
Dili, Timor-Leste
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
Not in the way they moved the ball. Speed of thought!
But yes, Wojo, Gaz, Varcoe and Byrnes being exceptions.
Ah yeah, I forgot about Byrnes.

But even in terms of our forward line - Stokes was probably the only fast one. SJ and Chapman were both slow as wet weeks, but their quick hands more than made up for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mr Blicavs

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Man City, Toronto Raptors
And yet, funny enough, our best side of all-time was also, I think, our slowest.
I remember commentators often talking about Geelong being the heaviest side in the competition (total kgs) during our Premiership run.

FredLeDeux

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
It would be a pretty interesting race (100m or 130 yards) between all those blokes mentioned in the last couple of pages.

I don't know who would win.

But I'd have my money on Rohan to be leading at the 10m mark.

Farmer2Goggin

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtics
Mark O'Connor - I wasn't sure about him last season , he looked reasonable as a defender but I seriously doubted his kicking :(
He has been absolutely fantastic in 2019 and his kicking action and effectiveness has improved out of sight.
Can't see him losing his spot if this form keeps up - well done to the young man :thumbsu:

Max Milburn

Premiership Player
Aug 10, 2018
Hobbiton, Tasmania
AFL Club
Geelong
I could see that coming.
Interesting family.
His dad David was a classy player with impeccable kicking skills, whereas Tim and David jnr were very athletic and quick, but disposals let them down.
Sister Georgie was an Olympic runner.
Was a joke of course. I enjoyed a lot of DC Jnr's games, and was in awe of his dad (while he played footy).

Top Bottom