Opinion The I Was Wrong thread- Where Tom Atkins posts go to die

Sep 11, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
I had us lucky to finish top 8 this season. 6th-8th. Definitely not top 4, or top 2!!

Drove down to Colac to watch us bomb out v Essendon. We looked poor

If you'd said to me that would be the only game I'd go to this year....
I went that day too and the only positive and something I’ll definitely remember we got to watch Ablett play his last game in front of Victorian crowds

frggr

Fan Favourite (they/them)
May 16, 2012
Poland
AFL Club
Geelong
Think this thread needs a bit of a bump, so here it is!

I was wrong. I thought selecting Zac Guthrie was pure lunacy, but happy to eat my words. He's a fairly reliable kick, isn't too flustered under pressure and though he's may never be an A-grader, he's happy to put himself into the game and affect the contest.

I'm beginning to see what, perhaps, the club see in him. He's fairly robust and fairly reliable.

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong

I was wrong. I thought selecting Zac Guthrie was pure lunacy, but happy to eat my words. He's a fairly reliable kick, isn't too flustered under pressure and though he's may never be an A-grader, he's happy to put himself into the game and affect the contest.

I'm beginning to see what, perhaps, the club see in him. He's fairly robust and fairly reliable.
Your still wrong. Just now extra wrong.

he is getting better...

Jul 11, 2005
On the Road to A.G
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
he is getting better...
He played a role on the weekend, laid 5 tackles (only 4 players on both teams had more), had 8 marks (more than any Richmond player, only 4 Geelong players took more), and was kicking at 78% which puts him in the top half of both teams.

May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong

And that is the issue. Such a low ceiling, where being nothing more than bog average is about all you could hope for. He’s literally 25-28 on our list, and will only get a call up due to injury. The old fashioned list clogger who never really achieves much.

And that is the issue. Such a low ceiling, where being nothing more than bog average is about all you could hope for. He’s literally 25-28 on our list, and will only get a call up due to injury. The old fashioned list clogger who never really achieves much.

I would've thought a list clogger would be someone who has been on the list for a few years and never gets a look in even if we have injuries, but maybe that's just me.

Someone who gets 2-3 games a year would surely qualify.

So since Zac played 9 games in 2017, 7 in 2018 and 4 out of 8 thus far this year, I guess that counts him out.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
I was wrong last time i posted on this thread when i said i was wrong about rohan after he had a 4 week purple patch that then ended as soon as i posted.

Now i may be wrong about rohan again who has now had another 3 week purple patch. But i wont post i was wrong about this new rohan as that inevitably leads to me being initially right and wrong about my wrong about rohan post again.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong

I won't say I'm a fan, but I've never got the bile on this forum for him, I think it stems mainly from that Hawthorn game a few years ago when he found himself deep defence a couple of times on Roughead from memory (I was at the game).

I reckon he showed a bit when he was first selected, he was way too lightly framed, he's put on some weight now and I think he's been good the last 2 weeks. When he came on as the medical sub against Sydney, I'm not sure he made any mistakes.

Your still wrong. Just now extra wrong.

You need to make a case for why frggr is wrong.
Bald assertions add nothing to the conversation.

And he’ll never be best 22. Better off getting games into more talented players who might become something.
Disagree with the logic. Make those that have a future earn it, if that means some depth with less of a ceiling gets a few games so be it.

I am certainly not desperate for us to play Clark or Holmes (fitness) or Constable next week. Injuries mean we likely will.

Drunkcat

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 31, 2018
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong

They should have a boo button lol

Clark, holmes, nick stevens.
Not sure they are more talented, and at present, we need a bit more experience and nous. I wouldn't mind him getting a run of games while MOC and Kolo are out.

May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Not sure they are more talented, and at present, we need a bit more experience and nous. I wouldn't mind him getting a run of games while MOC and Kolo are out.
Huh? They are all considerably higher draft picks. Zuth was a late rookie. Yes they are more talented. I can handle the point about experience though.

I was wrong in that I thought he was a worse option than Kolo. Some of his kicks through the middle were very attacking and he did a couple of nice things that seemed to indicate that he's actually improving. Took him 5 years but hey. Let's see if it's just downhill skiing

I posted in the GD thread that I was wrong about Isaac Smith. Needs to be posted here too.
I had a good amount of bile in throat when we were linked to him and i wasn't all that receptive to the idea.

IWWT - and i was wrong to suggest otherwise.

I was wrong

He has been massive for us and I was wrong that he wouldn't add much. He's made Menegola on the other wing look less important and has been a real value add to us.

I doubt this makes the next Hawk to Geelong any easier but this is has been a really good one.

GO Catters

Generalissimo

His Excellency
Jul 14, 2002
Somewhere
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
The Mighty Cats
And he’ll never be best 22. Better off getting games into more talented players who might become something.

I disagree. We need to bank wins at this stage of the year. That means selecting the best team we can, and with the injuries we have he's in the best 22 currently available.

Smedts_2

Club Legend
Apr 23, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
I posted in the GD thread that I was wrong about Isaac Smith. Needs to be posted here too.
I had a good amount of bile in throat when we were linked to him and i wasn't all that receptive to the idea.

IWWT - and i was wrong to suggest otherwise.

I was wrong

He has been massive for us and I was wrong that he wouldn't add much. He's made Menegola on the other wing look less important and has been a real value add to us.

I doubt this makes the next Hawk to Geelong any easier but this is has been a really good one.

GO Catters

I was exactly the same. I was wrong too...

Sep 15, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong
hmm, where to start..

been some ordinary prognostication on my behalf of late on a couple of fronts, time to put my hand up.

#1 I was pretty sure that Patrick Dangerfield's best was behind him, but he was brilliant last week and really good again this week. Some of his better football; really clean and composed.

#2 I've been a reasonably vocal supporter and advocate of Esava Ratugolea's for a while, but I am starting to think my enthusiasm has been misplaced. There's always been mitigating factors with Ratugolea; he's raw, he's only young, plays a tough position, less than 50 games, continuity and injuries have played a part in dampening his development. But I was with Tom Stewart in the last quarter; Stewart lobs up a solid-enough kick to Ratugolea's advantage, Esava has the 1v1 against a smaller opponent but he misjudges the flight of the ball and doesn't get his positioning right - ends up getting nowhere near it. Stewart looked perplexed. He doesn't often get out-marked, but the early promise that his contested marking presented has largely diminished.
I thought he actually started ok this afternoon, but he just didn't have enough intensity to stay involved for 4 quarters of football. He will find his opportunities starting to dry up unless he is able to turn things around; his confidence looked rock-bottom by the end of today's match though.

edit: oh and last week I implied Max Holmes was more athletic prodigy than footballer, he revealed more about his game today than I'd previously seen at this level though and I won't be implying anything of the sort in a hurry any time soon.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
hmm, where to start..

been some ordinary prognostication on my behalf of late on a couple of fronts, time to put my hand up.

#1 I was pretty sure that Patrick Dangerfield's best was behind him, but he was brilliant last week and really good again this week. Some of his better football; really clean and composed.

#2 I've been a reasonably vocal supporter and advocate of Esava Ratugolea's for a while, but I am starting to think my enthusiasm has been misplaced. There's always been mitigating factors with Ratugolea; he's raw, he's only young, plays a tough position, less than 50 games, continuity and injuries have played a part in dampening his development. But I was with Tom Stewart in the last quarter; Stewart lobs up a solid-enough kick to Ratugolea's advantage, Esava has the 1v1 against a smaller opponent but he misjudges the flight of the ball and doesn't get his positioning right - ends up getting nowhere near it. He doesn't often get out-marked, but the early promise that his contested marking presented has largely diminished.
I thought he actually started ok this afternoon, but he just didn't have enough intensity to stay involved for 4 quarters of football. He will find his opportunities starting to dry up unless he is able to turn things around; his confidence looked rock-bottom by the end of today's match though.

edit: oh and last week I implied Max Holmes was more athletic prodigy than footballer, he revealed more about his game today than I'd previously seen at this level though and I won't be implying anything of the sort in a hurry any time soon.
Yep start to feel the same Way on number 2. He was a much better player two years ago.

Back