Opinion The I Was Wrong thread- Where Tom Atkins posts go to die

Remove this Banner Ad

I had Cowan as a sure thing delist (with Luxford) at the midway point of the season.
You weren't alone on that one.

A few of us (me being one) thought the same.

Once again, there are some things that it is good to be proven wrong on.

You weren't alone on that one.

A few of us (me being one) thought the same.

Once again, there are some things that it is good to be proven wrong on.

Yeah i was wrong on the cowan one too,don't mind being wrong on that one.

Stanley is finding some good form in a contract year. He could actually end up playing 100 games for us if he keeps this form up which i wouldn't have predicted 12 months ago.

Yup.. hand up there.

I was wrong on him too after I called him useless more than once.

Pass the salt... my hat tastes better with salt.

GO Catters

In his time here Stanley has always shown a level of competence in the ruck - he wasn't always good but he was better in the ruck than as a forward.

Over the past 6 weeks, along with an improvement in the ruck the things that are impressing me more is what he is now doing when he isn't rucking:
- presenting on leads up the ground
- blocking for teammates
- getting back in defence to spoil the ball
- 2nd/3rd and more efforts when competing for the ball (such as on the wing today in the last quarter when the ball was kicked poorly to him but he didn't watch it go over his head or give up on it, he fought to keep possession with the team)

As those other aspects of his game has improved it seems to have helped in the ruck department also - credit to him for whatever has bought about this change because it's good to see him finally imposing himself on games

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Same tune... Stanley has silenced me lately.

I was a bit of a doubter of Jack Henry also at the start of the season, happily wrong on that one! Looks quite a talent.

A few good games in a row does not erase years of mediocrity. Needs to maintain this level for a few seasons to be back square.
The past is irrelevant right now. Everything is in front of him now and he looks a different player.

A few good games in a row does not erase years of mediocrity. Needs to maintain this level for a few seasons to be back square.
I get what you are saying - but he's at 6 in a row at the moment and hasn't just taken no name ruckman in the process - Goldy, Gawn and Martin to name a few.

Ive flogged him as hard as anyone early doors as he was fully getting what he deserved.

But he has totally tuned that around - and while 6 weeks does not a career make - he deserves credit for it in the short term.

Go Catters

Definitely happy he has turned his form around - we are no chance without a ruck that at least provides a contest. Hopefully he can maintain it - got nothing against the bloke just find his form frustrating when its clear he has the physical attributes (Murdoch another).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back