Opinion The I Was Wrong thread- Where Tom Atkins posts go to die

Remove this Banner Ad

Good thread bump, I was wrong about Gary Rohan. I genuinely disliked him bobbing up out of nowhere to score goals against us then do nothing against everyone else.

Then we recruited him. My fury was only partially mitigated by him only costing us pick 61 or so.

I'm pretty wrong. Genuinely happy for him and love his attack and energy in our forward line. Plus the occasional chaos.

Just going to put this here again. Bloody hell I was wrong. I haven't been so wrong since most of my dates in my 20s.

If there is any Rohan humble pie left, I'd better take a bite. I always knew he had plenty of talent, but didn't think he was worth even the pick in the 60s we paid for him based on output.

Whether it was due to work rate (clearly not!), injury (most certainly part of it), lack of awareness/footy smarts (possible) or something else altogether, he just never seemed to display his talent enough whenever I saw him at Sydney, but he has been consistently great for us this year. I've been especially impressed with his kicking - I thought he was a 'neat' kick, but he's actually an excellent kick.

The MOC and Rohan pies are flying off the shelves.....

Rightly so

Tastes better with ice cream I can tell you from experience

GO Catters

I’ve been wrong on Stanley. Saw him only fit to be served as a side to roast beef as a spud.
Start turning me around mid last year and while he’s not necessarily dominating in hitouts, he offers much more other things and does himself no shame against some top tier ruckmen.

Some eagles supporters were taunting him behind me during yesterday’s game but they decidedly less chirpy after he kicked a goal.

Yeah I must admit I was in the Zac Smith camp based on the fact that he was a bit more competitive at the tap - he’s honest but he doesn’t offer anywhere near as much overall as what Stanley has in his past 15-18 games.

He’s complimenting a very good midfield and I’m loving it

Would like to order a slice of the Rohan humble pie if I may.

Thought we would miss Menzel a great deal and would struggle to find goals when he left as I didn't see Rohan as being able to replace what Menzel provided let alone surpass his output

Would like to order a slice of the Rohan humble pie if I may.

Thought we would miss Menzel a great deal and would struggle to find goals when he left as I didn't see Rohan as being able to replace what Menzel provided let alone surpass his output
Ditto.
Also had misgivings about bringing in yet another player with a long injury history.
But he's going alright.

Has he actually had a long injury history though aside from his broken leg?
Yes, right back to the start, when he missed most of 2011 (his 2nd season) with major hamstring problems.
To be fair, his various injuries since then have generally been collision-type injuries, but he still only managed 4 reasonably full (16, 16, 18, 18) seasons out of 8 (not counting his starter half-season) with Sydney.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got my hand half-up for Gary Rohan; I wasn't too happy to hear that we'd picked him up (didn't care what the cost was; its a list spot) but he's been great so far, and exciting to watch.

He can play, no doubt. Long season though, and as a senior player he needs to perform near or at his current level most weeks.

I won't go 'I was wrong' just yet, but very much hoping he can continue to contribute in a positive manner - and will be more than happy to issue a full public apology by year's end ;)

Also: quickest Geelong player since David Wojcinski? Vdubs?

ok time to amend my views on Rohan.

He has already far exceeded my expectations for his output in 2019.

Not only that, he has done it in a way that is highly watchable.

Apparently his finals record is spotty-at-best - he has a lot of new team mates in the same position there - he may just get a chance to address that charge this September.

I was wrong; I thought Rohan would struggle to make an impact but he has been a straight-up weapon for us thus far.

Rohan.
Watched his career a lot at Swans, and sometimes, he just looked bereft of confidence.
He looks happy, potent, and has become close to our MVP this year, which is extraordinary considering where he plays.
His overhead marking is excellent, as is his accuracy near goal, PLUS he is about our quickest player.
Seems as if he has wrapped up the best of Murdoch and Menzel into one player.

I had us sneaking into the 8 based on winning games at home and a soft draw, and was throwing stats around justifying my opinion that Rohan was a poor mans Murdoch.

Happily the most wrong I have been.

I had us sneaking into the 8 based on winning games at home and a soft draw, and was throwing stats around justifying my opinion that Rohan was a poor mans Murdoch.

Happily the most wrong I have been.
I never thought he would be a poor man's Murdoch, because I don't think any such thing exists.

But he's been about 20 times as good as I thought he'd be.

I never thought he would be a poor man's Murdoch, because I don't think any such thing exists.

But he's been about 20 times as good as I thought he'd be.
The stats were something like Murdoch ahead in nearly every area, slightly less goals, but double disposals. They both ran fast and were whipping boys, the comparisons were clear at the time haha.

The stats were something like Murdoch ahead in nearly every area, slightly less goals, but double disposals. They both ran fast and were whipping boys, the comparisons were clear at the time haha.
Rohan may have been a whipping boy at his old club.
Murdoch was never a whipping boy at Geelong, he was never, to quote the definition, "a person who is blamed or punished for the faults or incompetence of others"; his faults and incompetence were all his own work.

Even if he fails, doesn’t the fact that he (may have) played a big role in us getting a high finish mean he was worth the investment anyway?
I'm going to say yes he has been worth the investment tremendously so far this season but my prediction was that we didn't need another player that disappears during finals.

If there is any Rohan humble pie left, I'd better take a bite. I always knew he had plenty of talent, but didn't think he was worth even the pick in the 60s we paid for him based on output.

Whether it was due to work rate (clearly not!), injury (most certainly part of it), lack of awareness/footy smarts (possible) or something else altogether, he just never seemed to display his talent enough whenever I saw him at Sydney, but he has been consistently great for us this year. I've been especially impressed with his kicking - I thought he was a 'neat' kick, but he's actually an excellent kick.

I was wrong about being wrong about Rohan. Turns out he is still the inconsistent, often invisible (or injured) player that I knew he was when we first traded him in. Barely an upgrade on Murdoch.

He had me fooled for a month or two there.

I was wrong about being wrong about Rohan. Turns out he is still the inconsistent, often invisible (or injured) player that I knew he was when we first traded him in. Barely an upgrade on Murdoch.

He had me fooled for a month or two there.

*puts up a sheepish hand* :$

Thing is, I friggin' knew I should wait until finals had played out before tipping my hand on Rohan's output.
But I too was wrong about being wrong.

He never regained that early season verve after his concussion. Looks fragile.
Career-long record of subpar finals returns.

*puts up a sheepish hand* :$

Thing is, I friggin' knew I should wait until finals had played out before tipping my hand on Rohan's output.
But I too was wrong about being wrong.

He never regained that early season verve after his concussion. Looks fragile.
Career-long record of subpar finals returns.

Yep, unfortunately we were all in the honeymood period. For a couple of months there Rohan was regularly out getting his hair and make up done, waxing his legs and pubic region, fake tanning and sucking our dick every night.

Now we're going steady and that's all stopped - he's just a pasty, freckly, ugly ranga; dishing out a wristy every now and then if he's in the mood and we've done the dishes. We already knew all this of course, but it's strange what we can convince ourselves when we really want to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back