The Iconic Grand Finals

Remove this Banner Ad

One thing I notice about Grand finals is that alot have been evenly fought up until 3 quarter time.

Do teams choke in the last quarter like the magpies did in 2011?
When a team gets a 2-3 goal break in the last quarter of a GF the trailing team will start taking risks that they otherwise wouldn’t. If it works they get back in the game but it usually doesn’t and when that happens the goals get piled on. Earlier in the game there isn’t really the need for panic.

When a team gets a 2-3 goal break in the last quarter of a GF the trailing team will start taking risks that they otherwise wouldn’t. If it works they get back in the game but it usually doesn’t and when that happens the goals get piled on. Earlier in the game there isn’t really the need for panic.
I don't think the magpies even fired a shot in the last quarter of the 2011 grand final.

I loved 1988! Utter destruction!

1991 was iconic for a couple of reasons - played at Waverley, and first with an interstate side. Not a great game, and not worthy of consideration as a classic, but some iconic aspects.

Underrated game, Eagles were within two kicks before the team of the 80s decided to put on an encore performance in the 4th and ran away with it

Ok, ill bite. Let's take the 2002 premiership 22. I'll make some changes.

Backline unchanged, centre line Cotchin for Pike, forward line add Martin for Headland, then you can improve the bench with some of the better Richmond players... Apart from that, I wouldn't be making any further changes.

Richmond plays very good team football but they do not come close to Brisbane's peak 3peat side who had unmatched star power across every line. Mind you, Dusty would be the best player in that starting 22.

Why is this even a conversation? Brisbane of 2001-03 are one of the best teams of all time and as much as I am loving this period and the way the Tiges are going, noone in their right mind would put us on that pedestal.

1984 before 1993 from an Essendon point of view.

Why is this even a conversation? Brisbane of 2001-03 are one of the best teams of all time and as much as I am loving this period and the way the Tiges are going, noone in their right mind would put us on that pedestal.

Dont know, ask the guy I was replying to.

Backline unchanged, centre line Cotchin for Pike, forward line add Martin for Headland, then you can improve the bench with some of the better Richmond players... Apart from that, I wouldn't be making any further changes.

Richmond plays very good team football but they do not come close to Brisbane's peak 3peat side who had unmatched star power across every line. Mind you, Dusty would be the best player in that starting 22.
That side was missing the underrated 550 goal kicker in Bradshaw.

I feel like the fact Port ran away with the 2004 grand final people forget how good a game it was for 3/4. Fast, rough, classic skills from Pickett, Wanganeen, Aker. The biff from Lynch, Brown, Black, Pickett, Carr. Was a great game *Slight bias.

2006 was better than 2005.

The West Coast Eagles won the first half before the Swans fought back in the premiership quarter. The last quarter was goal for goal from the start with the Eagles hanging on to win by 1 point.

Chick’s smother and Hunter’s goal is one of the lesser-known Grand Final moments. Essentially sealed the win for us.

2018. Sheed from the boundary. Enough said.

As a neutral. I liked 2016. Dogs winning from 7th. Morris’ tackle on Buddy followed by Tom Boyd’s snap and goal.

Last edited:
I feel like the fact Port ran away with the 2004 grand final people forget how good a game it was for 3/4. Fast, rough, classic skills from Pickett, Wanganeen, Aker. The biff from Lynch, Brown, Black, Pickett, Carr. Was a great game *Slight bias.

Until about 5 minutes before 3/4 time it really was anyone's game. It was an absolute classic. And even with Port running away in the final quarter, it was a classic GF in my view.

Age and the stitch up having to play their home PF at the MCG caught up with that incredible Lions side.

Port certainly deserved it. That chokers tag they had was creating massive pressure on everyone at the club at the time.

It was a history making GF. Port the most successful club in the country with their first AFL flag. Lions if they won would have been undisputed best side of the modern era (I still think they are since 1990 anyway).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2009 was an absolute cracker. Pity the goal umpire totally screwed the Saints. Just felt so bad for the players to not win a flag in that period they gave all they had just didn't quite find the luck needed to jag one.
Geelong were fantastic considering conditions that day suited the Saints game style.

2018 obviously was a cracker and had the epic finish.

2012 also a great one and was the catalyst to the Hawks 3 peat. Swans just were harder and tougher for longer

2016 fairytale stuff not the greatest game.e but a good contest.

1989 scoring frenzy free flowing and awesome to watch. Half of the players would have been suspended for weeks under the current system was a brutal game but with a high level of skill.

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Which grand finals over the years are iconic - say the year and immediately you know the opponents, you know who won, you know the theme, the game is recognised in footy circles as special for some reason?

In a 122 years there are not many of them. Applying the measure that the whole footy world has to consider the game a standout for some reason. They don't necessarily have to be great games though many were. My iconic grand finals are

1930 - 4 in a row
1945 - Bloodbath
1958 - Pies stop Dees
1966 - 1 point heartstopper
1970 - the comeback
1972 - the shootout
1977 - the draw
1989 - the classic
1990 - breaking the drought
1992 - 1st interstater
1993 - baby bombers
2005 - leo
2008 - the surprise
2009 - toe poke
2016 - doggies finally

I think almost no matter what happens 2020 will join the list because it is such a whacky year and for first time in 122 years it will be played outside of Victoria.
I'm glad you put 2008 in there that was the most memorable non-Richmond granny for me.

So satisfying to see a side with a clear game plan be able to execute against the best opposition on the big stage

2014 will be the greatest grand final of all time. The defending premier not getting the love from the media nor neutral fans - majority desperately wanting Sydney to stop the mighty fighting Hawks from winning back to back premierships. Hawthorn as a team had other ideas, utterly destroying Sydney's game plan and confidence that has not returned many years later! Defeating the #1 rated team of the year!

I enjoyed 1992 - didn't care much for the lamenting of "death of Victorian" football that the media ran with. I was all for the Eagles beating a hapless Geelong outfit. And to see it happen again in 1994 was also "iconic" to me :D.

1996 was iconic being the "centenary" celebrations. Too bad the match itself wasn't an all out thriller.

I loved seeing Adelaide win the premiership in 97 and 98. Went for them as the "underdog" due to the media again turning things into a state vs state affair. Of course I'm going to cheer for the opposing team that they want people to get behind. Hated when the lord mayor and state premier put in their 2c opinions.

2001 - 2006 had iconic grand finals for differing reasons...
2001: Hungry young Lions vs a dominant team hoping for back to back premierships. The challenger beating the champions.
2002: Dreary weather leading to a tight contest between two well drilled teams. Collingwood looking like they would end their mini drought. Only for Aker to spoil their party.

2003: People expecting another tight contest in a grand final rematch, only for Brisbane to slaughter Collingwood on the day.

2004: Brisbane chasing history, while Port wanting to make amends for their own missteps in previous seasons. The defending champion, losing steam and the challenger saluting.

2005/06: Much can be said about the Sydney game style, I myself am not a fan of low scoring games (even when the defensive play is good to watch at times. If games are ultra defensive, I prefer seeing a team finally wilt and then get heavily scored against toward the end!). Both of these grand finals were good.

2008: Non neutral mention, but how good was it seeing the highly fancied Geelong, get upstaged on the one day that you wouldn't want to get upstaged on (yes I know.... see Hawthorn 2012 lol). In the lead up I certainly didn't see Hawthorn being able to win. It wasn't until half time that I dared to dream of a victory. Then THAT third quarter happened :p

2011: The only time I was happy to accept a Geelong victory (and wanted it to happen). Much can be said about the off-field drama in the lead up, with Collingwood aiming for back to back premierships....... while trying to manage the Malthouse/Buckley transition. Collingwood were looking solid but then a few strange coaching decisions led to Geelong overpowering them.

2012: Swings and round-a-bouts.... also contains the second best goal ever kicked in a grand final ;)

2017: Power stance failure and Richmond's first premiership in a very long time!

2018: Collingwood looking the likely victor, but the Eagles managed to stay in touch and get the victory in the end.

2020*: Will be iconic for the first ever night grand final in a unique situation (pandemic, leading to quarter lengths being reduced etc).

2013 GF

The drearist I've ever seen

Highlightless

Ummm it contains the best goal kicked in a grand final in the AFL era

2013 was a great grand final, the hype was all on Fremantle and their "manic pressure" being too much and Hawthorn would not be able to possibly handle it. Crowley and his tagging etc..................... all non issues for the mighty Hawks on the day!

2009 was an absolute cracker. Pity the goal umpire totally screwed the Saints.
Geelong were fantastic considering conditions that day suited the Saints game style.
Interesting take you have here, on the goal umpire screwing the Saints, he most certainly made a mistake, but they did get a goal right on half time for a ridiculous call of “demonstrative abuse”, so I always feel it got evened out.....And on the conditions suiting the Saints, the narrative at the time was that actually cost them, because it took out Riewoldt & Kosi from being able to mark as easily....But I actually think you make a good point as it stopped us from moving the ball quick & flicking it around. It truly was a great GF....Since then only 2018 rivals it IMO.

wash your mouth out. That team without lethal and pikey also won a wooden spoon
To balance that jack reiwoldt would improve that forward line immensely, very under rated

71. Brutal. Bounty on hudsons head, 150 goals

2010. The draw but a damn good game
Senior Seargent Allan Jeans of the Victoria Police force, paragon of virtue, was shocked his boys could push the envelope so far. In the very next year a young John Greening was felled by Jimmy O'Dea and comatose for 2 weeks. Try as he might, Jeans just couldn't wipe such violence from his teams. In fact it followed him around patiently, erupting again in1985.

Senior Seargent Allan Jeans of the Victoria Police force, paragon of virtue, was shocked his boys could push the envelope so far. In the very next year a young John Greening was felled by Jimmy O'Dea and comatose for 2 weeks. Try as he might, Jeans just couldn't wipe such violence from his teams. In fact it followed him around patiently, erupting again in1985.

2008, I remember driving past houses and seeing posters of Buddy Franklin in people’s windows, a passion that can feel missing in today’s game. It was a gorgeous, warm day. At half time my uncle took me for a ride in his car and told me he’d recently run over a cyclist and driven off. I was 12 years old.

1971 - Peter Hudson kicks 150 goals for the season while concussed. Brutal game with one of the greatest last quarter come-backs of all time. Perhaps the ultimate sliding moment in the history of the game - at the time both St Kilda and Hawthorn had one premiership each.
They probably shouldn’t have let him play the whole season concussed...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back