Portfolio The Ideal AFL By Fizzler

Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dolphins, Seattle Kraken
Appreciate the kind words mate, yeah it's absolutely farcical that a system like this doesn't exist in the AFL yet, it works perfectly for the NBA yet here "tradition" reigns supreme sadly.
To be honest the traditional system isn't as bad as other australian football codes that have forsaken tradition to become... billboards

Bwillow11

All Australian
Sep 16, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
Appreciate the kind words mate, yeah it's absolutely farcical that a system like this doesn't exist in the AFL yet, it works perfectly for the NBA yet here "tradition" reigns supreme sadly.
Does any NBA team wear a dark uniform as their home though?

Feb 20, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls

Historically it was white at home, however now with the introduction of about 17 jerseys worn throughout the space of one year you will see a lot of home teams in dark colours. The good thing is, the light v dark is still kept and the visiting team contrasts what the home team chooses to wear.

1618967902876.png

Today Brooklyn in white away to the Pels in their dark kit.

AFAIK Chicago do, also OKC switched which uniform says Thunder and which says Oklahoma City in order to make the blue one the nominated home, I'm sure many clubs have nominated the dark one as the home though.
1618972124059.png

Melbourne Demons
Melbourne.png

There's been one glaringly obvious fix for the Melbourne home jumper that has just been ignored time and time again with New Balance. The yoke is way too high and the sponsor logo cuts into it. Just bring it down farken! Looks more like your classic Dees jumper AND means the Zurich logo doesn't need to be in a box. For the light kit I've brought back the blue monogram on a red base. I really liked this jumper when they had it with their old monogram and that probably looks better than this honestly but it's chill. I put the yoke as a watermark on the red kit just to tie these two kits together and make is just that little bit less plain, how is it Dees fans?

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
Melbourne Demons
View attachment 1107962
There's been one glaringly obvious fix for the Melbourne home jumper that has just been ignored time and time again with New Balance. The yoke is way too high and the sponsor logo cuts into it. Just bring it down farken! Looks more like your classic Dees jumper AND means the Zurich logo doesn't need to be in a box. For the light kit I've brought back the blue monogram on a red base. I really liked this jumper when they had it with their old monogram and that probably looks better than this honestly but it's chill. I put the yoke as a watermark on the red kit just to tie these two kits together and make is just that little bit less plain, how is it Dees fans?
Against Sydney, they would need to play with their dark kit. For me, it’s fine; but wouldn’t it harm the purpose of having an away kit?

Against Sydney, they would need to play with their dark kit. For me, it’s fine; but wouldn’t it harm the purpose of having an away kit?
Correct, however the use of the terms light and dark kit was chosen specifically to make it acceptable for teams to both wear their darker kits if the two main colours contrast enough. You'll notice in the coming days that some of the teams I have dark kits that are lighter than some other teams' light kits. It's really only to make sure the teams have two options that adequately contrast each other so that at least one of the kits will contrast whatever their opponent is wearing. Sydney is definitely an interesting team in this scenario too, you will see what I do for them pretty soon.

North Melbourne
North Melbourne.png

Plain and simple, North's guernseys SUCK. There is so much to hate about their uniforms and how bad they are was what made me want to start this portfolio. The biggest and most important thing I've done is made the white jumper their home jumper once again. I've kept the blue numbers they have been rocking with lately which may be unpopular but there's something I like about not introducing black to the kit. The dark kit is their classic 90s jumper, however I dislike the 5 stripe version they seem to default to, the thicker 4 stripes look stronger as a design. I've also redrawn the kangaroo head based on Freight Train's Perth Boomers design from a couple NAFL seasons ago. Finally it's matched with a plain blue back to make the ordinarily light design as dark as possible. Finally, a nice North Melbourne concept that is infinitely better than the garbage they've dished up for the past couple years.

The Fizzler fizzled terribly. :)

The redrawn kangaroo looks like it has a hook sticking out of its forehead. The rest of the design doesn't look too bad.

I don't mind the light (home) jumper but I always like it more with blue shorts.

The biggest issue I have with both designs is you used the wrong shade of blue, the powers that be have changed the shade over the years and have gone for a more dull "US Air Force Blue" instead of the traditional Royal Blue of the 20th century. It's a slightly lighter and more vibrant shade and I think our jerseys always looked better back then than they do now. I think our current home jersey (minus the thick pin stripe) would look better in our traditional Royal Blue as well.

The redrawn kangaroo looks like it has a hook sticking out of its forehead. The rest of the design doesn't look too bad.

I don't mind the light (home) jumper but I always like it more with blue shorts.

The biggest issue I have with both designs is you used the wrong shade of blue, the powers that be have changed the shade over the years and have gone for a more dull "US Air Force Blue" instead of the traditional Royal Blue of the 20th century. It's a slightly lighter and more vibrant shade and I think our jerseys always looked better back then than they do now. I think our current home jersey (minus the thick pin stripe) would look better in our traditional Royal Blue as well.

Good thing this is Fizzler’s ideal AFL portfolio. 🤷‍♂️

Interesting feedback, some fair points made there. Regarding the kangaroo head, I think it's one of those things that once you see it, it just makes sense. Kangaroos have that ridge in their head for their eyebrows (?) and I've just gone for a stylised look with the gap for the eyes.
1619084525617.png

Fair call on the shorts for the light kit, I guess the whole point with this portfolio is that clubs are required to wear white shorts with their light kit and it's up to them if they want to wear the light kit at home or away. Always felt North switching their home jumper over their shorts colour was a bit silly so if the sacrifice for them wearing the white jumper at home is having to wear white shorts personally that's fair in my eyes at least.

I do absolutely agree with you on the shade of blue though, I colour dropped it off an official logo downloaded from AFL Brandzone which has the clubs' official colour designations, but upon further reflection it looks like they use two different shades of blue (compare logo A and B below) and I used the lighter one because I didn't notice this initially. I'll most likely end up fixing this in the end though I think.
1619084765084.png

north_lad

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
North Melbourne
View attachment 1108760
Plain and simple, North's guernseys SUCK. There is so much to hate about their uniforms and how bad they are was what made me want to start this portfolio. The biggest and most important thing I've done is made the white jumper their home jumper once again. I've kept the blue numbers they have been rocking with lately which may be unpopular but there's something I like about not introducing black to the kit. The dark kit is their classic 90s jumper, however I dislike the 5 stripe version they seem to default to, the thicker 4 stripes look stronger as a design. I've also redrawn the kangaroo head based on Freight Train's Perth Boomers design from a couple NAFL seasons ago. Finally it's matched with a plain blue back to make the ordinarily light design as dark as possible. Finally, a nice North Melbourne concept that is infinitely better than the garbage they've dished up for the past couple years.

Unfortunately Mazda seem to have rebranded and their primary logo is this really dull looking Microsoft word text we have on the back of our jumpers now. It looks so bad.

north_lad

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
North Melbourne
View attachment 1108760

I really like the solid blue back of the away jumper. Looks cool.

Zac_Barker

Senior List
Jan 14, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide

Kangaroos have eyes like any other land mammal, but it doesn’t make sense by the way North Melbourne are playing currently *blindly* 😂

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
North Melbourne
View attachment 1108760
Wouldn't it make more sense having the kangaroo guernsey as the light one (with white back and white shorts), while making the striped one the dark kit (with blue back and blue shorts)?

I would probably change the colour of the stripes, though (three white stripes in a blue background).

Wouldn't it make more sense having the kangaroo guernsey as the light one (with white back and white shorts), while making the striped one the dark kit (with blue back and blue shorts)?

I would probably change the colour of the stripes, though (three white stripes in a blue background).
his whole point of having the light striped jumper as the home kit is to return it to how it always was before 2017.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
his whole point of having the light striped jumper as the home kit is to return it to how it always was before 2017.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app
I wasn’t sold on that! 😉

Not with the Kangaroo guernsey being the other one, at least. A white kangaroo in a blue background, perhaps?

Kangaroos have eyes like any other land mammal, but it doesn’t make sense by the way North Melbourne are playing currently *blindly* 😂
Are you serious??? I'm shocked. In my 49 years of living (predominately) in Australia I have never seen a Kangaroos before, in fact I didn't think any marsupial had eyes.:rolleyes:

My complaint was it doesn't look like the Kangaroo from our earlier logos, which is generally the logos most supporters like.
1619154078825.png
1619154097198.png

In fact, if Fizzler used the Kangaroo and four thick stripes from one of the logos above for the Dark jersey I think it would look brilliant. Still needs to be in a more vibrant Royal Blue though.

Oct 15, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Fulham FC, Real Madrid
Greater Western Sydney Giants

There are a lot of things I don't like about the Giants' 2021 rebrand, it just looks really plain and boring, and on top of that it's baffling why their mostly orange home jumper is coupled with a clash jumper that's... even more orange. I really liked the personality their old home jumper had, bit it could do with some improvements. For one, I made the back mainly charcoal with a curved orange yoke at the top to make it darker. The G is made even bigger to be the centrepiece of the design, but I've added a charcoal line separating the white and orange so there is as much contrast as possible. Finally, the collar and cuffs are charcoal to make it just that little bit darker. I feel like GWS with orange are similar to Port with teal, it pops in smaller amounts, and when we were a similar amount of years into the AFL we tried to do too much with teal. The Giants need to learn this and make classier kits, which they're on the right track judging by the derby kit. The light kit is where we can left orange be the star of the show. I've kept the G in the same spot for both kits while basing this one off the Giants' 2021 clash jumper. The stroke is made thicker than the one they currently have as the thin stroke they use looks almost accidental, l feel like a bolder one avoids this as well as just looking nicer in general. What do we think?
HOme kit looks great. cant fault it. Light kit really accentuates the p*nis in the G. i think no stroke or have no stroke on the G and a white yoke similar to the home kit could look pretty good/interesting.

Are you serious??? I'm shocked. In my 49 years of living (predominately) in Australia I have never seen a Kangaroos before, in fact I didn't think any marsupial had eyes.:rolleyes:

My complaint was it doesn't look like the Kangaroo from our earlier logos, which is generally the logos most supporters like.
View attachment 1109464 View attachment 1109465

In fact, if Fizzler used the Kangaroo and four thick stripes from one of the logos above for the Dark jersey I think it would look brilliant. Still needs to be in a more vibrant Royal Blue though.
Understandable. Granted I made that kangaroo as a modernisation for a portfolio set in the future, I'll take the feedback into consideration when I do my update I reckon.

Understandable. Granted I made that kangaroo as a modernisation for a portfolio set in the future, I'll take the feedback into consideration when I do my update I reckon.
We are a club that is big on tradition and history, so modernisation isn't always liked. But thanks for hearing me out.

Last edited:
Back