Poll The Ideal Match Ups

Every week we debate on whether certain guernseys and shorts should be worn in certain match ups, whether there is enough of a contrast between guernseys, if white shorts shorts are really necessary or if Port should give no shits about what Eddie says and wear their Prison Bars full time.

In this thread, I'm going to create a series of Polls (probably using Google Forms) that will consist of all possible match up between the 18 teams (306 match ups) and ask what is the preferable guernsey and short combination in each situation from both the home team and the away teams perspective. For example, in a game between where the ADELAIDE CROWS hosts the BRISBANE LIONS, what should each team wear.

Each series of Polls will put one of the 18 teams as the home team, and a response will need to be given to the home team, even if it's just their home kits. (Thanks Geelong).
And the options on the Poll will be basic, and focused towards what the main colour of the guernsey should be, rather than the design. So the number panels, prison bars or bounding roos will not be considered, nor will the Canberra guernsey, the Hawks heritage guernsey or one-off event guernseys be considered.

HAWTHORN
MELBOURNE
NORTH MELBOURNE
PORT ADELAIDE
RICHMOND
ST. KILDA
SYDNEY SWANS
WEST COAST EAGLES
WESTERN BULLDOGS

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vT9nFOvpwCk_Hep6RpdZXUD_s7YJacn2JIadQXjAXeRcDNoQ_wKD9nyO9C3c9vP4jnSjoRXvYAh2hnj/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Packers, Raptors, Renegades
Not sure if this fits into the topic of ideal matchup but one of my favourite matchups of all time is Collingwood in Clash vs West Coast Home.
Just something about the contrast in it is satisfying.
1595461516431.png
1595461554159.png

My favourite all-time matchup would probably be North Melb vs Sydney, this matchup particularly:
1595461672063.png

I have linked the first seven teams into the OP.
Sorry about the bit of delay, have been contemplating presentation and graphics.

Each team will have their own form. You must select a home kit and the away kit in every match up.
Please vote for what you would like to see from the options available. And please only vote once, not to sway the voting.

The remain 11 teams will come over the next week.
And, a results spreadsheet will appear shortly which will have live updates as we vote.

Dec 20, 2015
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Magpies!
Sorry about the bit of delay, have been contemplating presentation and graphics.

Each team will have their own form. You must select a home kit and the away kit in every match up.
Please vote for what you would like to see from the options available. And please only vote once, not to sway the voting.

And, a results spreadsheet will appear shortly which will have live updates as we vote.
I think I've misinterpreted this akkaps and have voted what I think is the best matchup for Adelaide in each game regardless of whether home or away. It looks like the Adelaide one is all just Adelaide home games? If so, can you delete mine so I can vote properly please? Thanks.

I think I've misinterpreted this akkaps and have voted what I think is the best matchup for Adelaide in each game regardless of whether home or away. It looks like the Adelaide one is all just Adelaide home games? If so, can you delete mine so I can vote properly please? Thanks.
No worries. i can sort that out

Jul 17, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Melbourne Victory

This is a really good exercise and I'd be very interested to see a few of the results, but I think there are a couple of inconsistencies here. As an example, for Sydney you specify the following:

SMFC/Red
SMFC/White
White/White

I assume the white/white option refers to their current clash jumper. But you have no option for white/red; that is their current clash with red shorts, which is my preferred home uniform for them. So I need to either select SMFC/Red which is not strictly accurate, or I have to put them in white shorts at home.

Then you look at Port Adelaide, and you simply have Black/Black and Black/White, but you don't have a specific option for Prison Bars as opposed to the current home. So it doesn't work to the same specifics as you have for Sydney. Also for Brisbane, you call the red jumper "Melbourne", even though they frequently wear it in other states, potentially swaying someones view on that jumper.

For mine, I think get rid of any specific names for jumpers and just have everything based on colour. The designs will continue to vary, but I think what we want from this is for everyone to vote purely on the ideal "base colour" matchups rather than any specific designs.

This is a really good exercise and I'd be very interested to see a few of the results, but I think there are a couple of inconsistencies here. As an example, for Sydney you specify the following:

SMFC/Red
SMFC/White
White/White

I assume the white/white option refers to their current clash jumper. But you have no option for white/red; that is their current clash with red shorts, which is my preferred home uniform for them. So I need to either select SMFC/Red which is not strictly accurate, or I have to put them in white shorts at home.

Then you look at Port Adelaide, and you simply have Black/Black and Black/White, but you don't have a specific option for Prison Bars as opposed to the current home. So it doesn't work to the same specifics as you have for Sydney. Also for Brisbane, you call the red jumper "Melbourne", even though they frequently wear it in other states, potentially swaying someones view on that jumper.

For mine, I think get rid of any specific names for jumpers and just have everything based on colour. The designs will continue to vary, but I think what we want from this is for everyone to vote purely on the ideal "base colour" matchups rather than any specific designs.

I have fixed the Sydney issue. It's now White / Black, White / Red, and White / White. I felt as though there would be a distinction between a clash jumper and a Souths based jumper.

The White jumper refers to Clash jumpers.

As for Port, I feel like everyone on this board wants the Prison bars back, and therefore it's just listed as Black / ... I understand what you mean in relation to the Lions and Swans set ups. It's also the reason not to add a Canberra jumper for GWS.

I've changed the Brisbane set up as well, changing the Melbourne to Red. I used Melbourne out of habit as this what I use elsewhere.

Primary colours V no colours. Hence why the Showdowns work so well.
Works better with Collingwood because they are wearing a light jumper too, adds the extra dark v light element.

Jul 17, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Melbourne Victory
I have fixed the Sydney issue. It's now White / Black, White / Red, and White / White. I felt as though there would be a distinction between a clash jumper and a Souths based jumper.

The White jumper refers to Clash jumpers.

As for Port, I feel like everyone on this board wants the Prison bars back, and therefore it's just listed as Black / ... I understand what you mean in relation to the Lions and Swans set ups. It's also the reason not to add a Canberra jumper for GWS.

I've changed the Brisbane set up as well, changing the Melbourne to Red. I used Melbourne out of habit as this what I use elsewhere.

Yeah I can see why you'd done what you had, but I just felt it needed to be either all or nothing if you're making distinctions for certain designs, rather than just one or two teams. This'll be good though! Really interested to see how things go. I think there is a general consensus with certain matchups on this board but we could see some outliers here. Could be a "silent majority" on some things!

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
Need an all red option for the Dees. I'm mostly going with block colours

EDIT: I've had to make a couple of compromises involving match-ups with the Dees, Power, and maybe one other I can't recall. For instance, I'd like to have the Pies at home in white/black with the Power in all teal, but that isn't possible.

Anyway, I'm nit-picking, but just for anyone else wondering if they had similar thoughts.

You're doing a great job.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Port Melbourne, Norwood, St George
My personal favorite match up of all time was Sydney in the Red V with Red shorts vs Adelaide in their home kit. Though I'd like to see the Red V or the Sash against Richmond or Port's PB's

Need an all red option for the Dees. I'm mostly going with block colours

EDIT: I've had to make a couple of compromises involving match-ups with the Dees, Power, and maybe one other I can't recall. For instance, I'd like to have the Pies at home in white/black with the Power in all teal, but that isn't possible.

Anyway, I'm nit-picking, but just for anyone else wondering if they had similar thoughts.

You're doing a great job.
I thought about that. But I’ve really only added colours away shorts if we’ve seen them before, or a light/clash colour.
Now that’s I think of it. Crows in Home and yellow shirts would look good. Damn there are so many other options that we could use.

Back