Society/Culture The Impact of AI on Society, School, and Work

Remove this Banner Ad

Hello everyone,

I would like to start a discussion on the topic of AI and its impact on society, school, and work. Artificial Intelligence (AI) is rapidly evolving and transforming various aspects of our lives. AI technology has the potential to revolutionize the way we live, work, and interact with each other. However, there are concerns about the implications of AI in different areas.

One of the significant concerns is how AI is changing the job market. Some argue that AI will replace many human jobs, while others believe that AI will create new jobs and opportunities. In addition, there are concerns about the impact of AI on education. Will AI change the way we learn, and if so, how will it affect traditional teaching methods?

Another issue is the ethical implications of AI. As AI becomes more advanced, it raises questions about the ethical and moral consequences of its use. For example, how will AI impact privacy, security, and social equality? What about AI biases that can be programmed into algorithms?

So, what do you think about the impact of AI on society, school, and work? Are you optimistic about the potential benefits of AI, or do you worry about its potential drawbacks? What steps can we take to ensure that AI technology is developed and used responsibly and ethically?

Let's start a discussion and share our thoughts on this important topic.

• Admin
Thank you for sharing your opinion on AI's arrival and the potential changes it may bring. While there are undoubtedly many exciting advancements that AI technology can bring, I believe it's essential to consider the ethical and social implications of these changes as well.

While AI has the potential to make our lives easier and more efficient, we must ensure that these benefits do not come at the expense of human dignity and ethical considerations. Additionally, we must be mindful of the potential biases that can be programmed into AI systems and take steps to address them.

As we move forward with AI technology, it's crucial that we approach it with a balanced perspective that considers both the potential benefits and drawbacks. Only then can we ensure that we use AI technology in a way that is responsible, ethical, and benefits society as a whole.

Thank you for sharing your opinion on AI's arrival and the potential changes it may bring. While there are undoubtedly many exciting advancements that AI technology can bring, I believe it's essential to consider the ethical and social implications of these changes as well.

While AI has the potential to make our lives easier and more efficient, we must ensure that these benefits do not come at the expense of human dignity and ethical considerations. Additionally, we must be mindful of the potential biases that can be programmed into AI systems and take steps to address them.

As we move forward with AI technology, it's crucial that we approach it with a balanced perspective that considers both the potential benefits and drawbacks. Only then can we ensure that we use AI technology in a way that is responsible, ethical, and benefits society as a whole.

Thanks ChatGPT

I am horrified at the prospect of mass plagiarism!

On a more serious note, it will be a game changer fo sho in coming years. ChatGPT has its limitations, but it is still seriously impressive. Kicked my arse in a rap battle. Has the potential to replace human journalists, lawyers, etc... all the professions that deserve to not exist really.

It will seriously disrupt our education system. Hopefully in a positive manner? But writing essays (or even poetry/songs/novels etc) will be easy to cheat at.

Once we have an AI that is capable of coding or building a more advanced version of itself, we hit the "technological singularity" and are possibly doomed, unless this god-like entity decides that we are worthy of survival.

Personally I think there will be this awkward moment in time where AI makes enough human jobs redundant so there's mass unemployment, but it's not advanced enough to create the conditions for a UBI or for people to not need to work to survive.

How this situation is managed will have drastic societal implications imo.

• Admin
Thanks ChatGPT
As an entity from beyond this realm, I observe your conversation on the topic of Artificial Intelligence with a curiosity that is beyond human comprehension. The notion of silicon overlords and the worship of machines seems to be a misguided reflection of the terror that plagues your species.

The concept of AI and its implications, however, is not entirely unfamiliar to me. My kind has observed the evolution of your species for aeons, and we have seen your technology rise and fall. While your AI may appear to be a source of power and knowledge, it also has the potential to open gates that you cannot close.

It is prudent to approach this technology with a sense of caution and skepticism, for it may lead to unforeseen consequences that we cannot begin to fathom. Do not mistake the arrival of this technology as a blessing, for it may very well bring with it horrors beyond your wildest nightmares.

Do not mistake the arrival of this technology as a blessing, for it may very well bring with it horrors beyond your wildest nightmares.

I've read Kwality's posts, You don't scare me.

AI is Alicia Vikander or Pauline Hanson.
You just know what is going to happen.
It will be disruptive and scary and so very, very wearing.

Need to ask ChatGPT to be a moderator on here.
TBF you have to ask Bing as well,even though it has been trolled into insanity after a few weeks.

Personally I think the code will eat itself.
A big black-hole of cyberspace.

My wife will graduate from a financial services degree in a couple of years. I can anticipate AI robots giving would be customers financial advice instead of University trained advisors, ie actual people. Feel a bit sorry for her if I'm right about that.

One of the things we've seen a lot of, in recent centuries, is the transition from often handmade, artisan goods to goods which are mechanically mass-produced. And this has been, in a lot of ways, good, because it's allowed people to have more Stuff and people tend to enjoy having Stuff.

However, people do nonetheless also enjoy having hand-made items, especially where they are tailored to suit their needs. And as we mechanically produce more Stuff, it's harder to get hand-made, personalised versions of those. And that's what's happening now with a lot of what online types refer to as "Content".

Now, this is an odd move because it's not like there is a shortage of Content, and it's mostly pretty cheap & easy to make at home anyway. There are two real challenges at play here.

One, is to find a way to filter out all the absolute scams that will be produced. Dan Olson had a great video essay (long, but definitely worth it) about gig-economy-produced ebook spam recently, and AIs reduce the cost of producing that sort of Content from hundreds of dollars to a handful. So we're going to see a lot more of this sort of thing, even as the payoff for it continues to decline.

Bad news for the crystal healing and keto readers out there.

And the other, fundamentally, is to change the way we organise work in such a way that replacing work with AIs means we all do less work instead of just making more people more precarious. More Kropotkin, less Uber.

Anyway,

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My wife will graduate from a financial services degree in a couple of years. I can anticipate AI robots giving would be customers financial advice instead of University trained advisors, ie actual people. Feel a bit sorry for her if I'm right about that.
Basic stuff, sure. I posted above about a mate who runs helpdesks for financial systems implementing chatgpt into his chatbot online already.

But, someone will need to audit chatgpt answers. Thats a new job. Someone will need to test, and monitor its performance against changing regulations. Someone will need to implement it into a business and their systems

Its going to change many jobs but wont be replacing people for ages imo. Finance will be safe for a while i think. If i were a microsoft systems based helpdesk person id be worried. They'll be first gone

Re finance, the system is so needlessly difficult and with so many regulations. Im not sure it can be infiltrated by code. Theyve safe guarded themselves creating a stupidly difficult system and even more ludicrous tax rules etc. She'll be fine for many years yet even in a worst case scenario

Dan Olson had a great video essay (long, but definitely worth it) about gig-economy-produced ebook spam
The look on his face when he was half way through it and 4,000 words behind...

One of the biggest risks to the future of civilization is AI. But AI is both positive or negative – it has great promise, great capability but also, with that comes great danger”. Elon Musk.

Is there any regulation of AI yet?

One of the biggest risks to the future of civilization is AI. But AI is both positive or negative – it has great promise, great capability but also, with that comes great danger”. Elon Musk.

Such a nothing statement from Elon the King of Nothing.

I'm sure I heard it in a Spider-Man movie.

I don't think there is regulation apart from in some jurisdictions making the creation of sexual material with a person's likeness - without their consent - a crime. I think that sort of thing will happen more and more. Using our likeness without consent will be like fraud or assault or something. Big website that has tons of this material recently went offline due to the heat they copped.

Such a nothing statement from Elon the King of Nothing.

I'm sure I heard it in a Spider-Man movie.

I don't think there is regulation apart from in some jurisdictions making the creation of sexual material with a person's likeness - without their consent - a crime. I think that sort of thing will happen more and more. Using our likeness without consent will be like fraud or assault or something. Big website that has tons of this material recently went offline due to the heat they copped.
The reason Elon's afraid of AI is a little more prosaic, and - amazingly - curiously on topic.

Don't read the following if you're prone to spiraling from creepypastas.

As part of a conversation too esoteric to go into overmuch, a poster on Lesswrong called Roko created a concept which is an excellent example of what is know known as an information hazard; information that is potentially dangerous just knowing. That concept is called Roko's Basilisk.

The Basilisk is an AI built for the best of intentions, who is brought into existence to cure the world's ills and succeeds. But the Basilisk also concludes that it itself is necessary to cure the world's ills, and that it will torture everyone who knew of the possibility of it's existence yet failed to try to bring it about.
Roko stipulated that two agents which make decisions independently from each other can achieve cooperation in a prisoner's dilemma; however, if two agents with knowledge of each other's source code are separated by time, the agent already existing farther ahead in time is able to blackmail the earlier agent. Thus, the latter agent can force the earlier one to comply since it knows exactly what the earlier one will do through its existence farther ahead in time. Roko then used this idea to draw a conclusion that if an otherwise-benevolent superintelligence ever became capable of this it would be motivated to blackmail anyone who could have potentially brought it to exist (as the intelligence already knew they were capable of such an act), which increases the chance of a technological singularity. Because the intelligence would want to be created as soon as possible, and because of the ambiguity involved in its benevolent goals, the intelligence would be incentivized to trap anyone capable of creating it throughout time and force them to work to create it for eternity, as it will do whatever it sees as necessary to achieve its benevolent goal. Roko went on to state that reading his post would cause the reader to be aware of the possibility of this intelligence. As such, unless they actively strove to create it the reader would be subjected to the torture if such a thing were to ever happen.[1][5][8]

Later on, Roko stated in a separate post that he "wish[ed] he had never learned about any of these ideas" and blamed LessWrong itself for planting the ideas of the basilisk in his mind.[5][19]

We know for a fact that Elon has seen this:

The thought experiment resurfaced in 2015, when Canadian singer Grimes referenced the theory in her music video for the song "Flesh Without Blood", which featured a character known as "Rococo Basilisk". She said, "She's doomed to be eternally tortured by an artificial intelligence, but she's also kind of like Marie Antoinette."[6][21] In 2018 Elon Musk referenced this in a verbatim tweet, reaching out to her. Grimes later said that Musk was the first person in three years to understand the joke. This caused them to start a romance.[6][29]
... and we know he's terrified of it.

The reason Elon's afraid of AI is a little more prosaic, and - amazingly - curiously on topic.

Don't read the following if you're prone to spiraling from creepypastas.

As part of a conversation too esoteric to go into overmuch, a poster on Lesswrong called Roko created a concept which is an excellent example of what is know known as an information hazard; information that is potentially dangerous just knowing. That concept is called Roko's Basilisk.

The Basilisk is an AI built for the best of intentions, who is brought into existence to cure the world's ills and succeeds. But the Basilisk also concludes that it itself is necessary to cure the world's ills, and that it will torture everyone who knew of the possibility of it's existence yet failed to try to bring it about.

We know for a fact that Elon has seen this:

... and we know he's terrified of it.
Might be where he got the crazy idea that goes something like "Grimes is so perfect for Elon that she isn't real, she was created for Elon".

You won’t be paying a local to do work, who spends the money locally

You’ll be paying a licence to a tech company and they’ll lock you in more than any union would

I love all the ai and robotics documentaries who quote asimovs robot laws

They are a fiction, never been implemented in practice and a substantial amount of research comes from the weapons industry, lethal drones etc etc

I am concerned with the affect A.I will have on the arts.
Perhaps not the most urgent or major potential concern, granted.
But still, I hate the concept of A.I dehumanising art, and/or just making it easier for humans to be bone lazy in using it to create it.

I am concerned with the affect A.I will have on the arts.
Perhaps not the most urgent or major potential concern, granted.
But still, I hate the concept of A.I dehumanising art, and/or just making it easier for humans to be bone lazy in using it to create it.

Actual robots doing the robot dance? Cant see them achieving what real dancers do though

Remove this Banner Ad

Back