Society/Culture The Impact of AI on Society, School, and Work

Remove this Banner Ad

For a kid looking at a D grade, an easy B looks fantastic.

Try prompts that ask it to write in a way that would evade detection as AI generated.

Someone told me to translatE to another language, translate back then run through grammarly

Or was that for straight copying of online text?

AI is going to completely change society. It'll eventually take most of the jobs. Then when most of us are on the dole what are we going to do? How much will that dole be? Will it be enough to do heaps of travelling or will we be just hanging around the house?

Actual travel for the rich, virtual reality travel shows for the rest of us, and lots of drugs

AI is going to completely change society. It'll eventually take most of the jobs. Then when most of us are on the dole what are we going to do? How much will that dole be? Will it be enough to do heaps of travelling or will we be just hanging around the house?

Good point . I thought by now I’d lounging around for most of the week but it’s seems to be the opposite.. the more advances in technology the more work I’ve got to do.

Soft fascist economics is the only way. A UBI is like the dole. It'll never be enough to live well on.

We should nationalise our resources and run the country like a corporation (to a very limited extent) with everyone getting a dividend. Otherwise we're looking at some form of neo Ludditism as larger numbers of people have no decent income. People forget the original Luddites were a militant working movement that only destroyed equipment when the people that owned it didn't look after the workers it replaced. Its not simply an anti tech thing.

The protestant/puritan work ethic only still exists because capitalists and industrialists profited from people working hard and not getting a full return on their labour. (Sure working at something is fantastic, but it only really provides benefits to people if they're working on a skill or talent they already possess and developing themselves, building theiur "soul" if you like. Whereas working at a s**t job is soul destroying. Its kind of irrelevent as factories mechanise and AI replaces other work. How are you gonna whinge about dole bludgers when nearly everyone doesn't have a full time job any more?)

But it causes problems. All the insane bureaucracy we deal with is in part due to a lack of old school industrial jobs (that pay well enough to buy a house and a car etc etc) while the kids of the people who did those jobs got educated. David Graeber explored this idea a bit in his book Bullshit Jobs.

There's an argument that new jobs will come along to replace old ones but where are we now? A gig economy full of new, poorly paid jobs with * all security for people and some pretty sus conditions.

Gonna be interesting whatever happens.

There's an argument that new jobs will come along to replace old ones but where are we now? A gig economy full of new, poorly paid jobs with * all security for people and some pretty sus conditions.

I would ******* love drivers and restaurants to band together to give uber the middle finger...

Fact is, people obviously like it or they wouldn't use/work for it

Soft fascist economics is the only way. A UBI is like the dole. It'll never be enough to live well on.

We should nationalise our resources and run the country like a corporation (to a very limited extent) with everyone getting a dividend. Otherwise we're looking at some form of neo Ludditism as larger numbers of people have no decent income. People forget the original Luddites were a militant working movement that only destroyed equipment when the people that owned it didn't look after the workers it replaced. Its not simply an anti tech thing.

The protestant/puritan work ethic only still exists because capitalists and industrialists profited from people working hard and not getting a full return on their labour. (Sure working at something is fantastic, but it only really provides benefits to people if they're working on a skill or talent they already possess and developing themselves, building theiur "soul" if you like. Whereas working at a s**t job is soul destroying. Its kind of irrelevent as factories mechanise and AI replaces other work. How are you gonna whinge about dole bludgers when nearly everyone doesn't have a full time job any more?)

But it causes problems. All the insane bureaucracy we deal with is in part due to a lack of old school industrial jobs (that pay well enough to buy a house and a car etc etc) while the kids of the people who did those jobs got educated. David Graeber explored this idea a bit in his book Bullshit Jobs.

People working to survive predated capitalism.

Having us sit around doing nothing sounds like a recipe for disaster.

The thing is ChatGPT is not a replication of human brain processes, just a very detailed categorisation of human digital output. The technology itself is not new, but just had a lot of resources thrown at it.

When it starts giving us new insights, that will be the breakthrough.
ChatGPT isn't the final evolution of AI. Jobs are being increasingly automated. AI will be a massive jump in the process. Combine it with advances in robotics and more and more people are going to become unemployable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GPT is a great tool for me as a teacher. I can get it to write the bones of a unit plan, create task sheets and other annoying admin-related tasks to prep for teaching.

However, I can't think of a use-case for students that isn't a complete shitshow. It's bad enough that the education sector has so many space cadets involved in influencing curriculum and pedagogy away from direct instruction and knowledge-rich curriculum - now we also have people using GPT as an excuse to get rid of standard testing and assessment methods (which that movement has wanted for a long time).

We're doomed, I tells ya.

Hello everyone,

I would like to start a discussion on the topic of AI and its impact on society, school, and work. Artificial Intelligence (AI) is rapidly evolving and transforming various aspects of our lives. AI technology has the potential to revolutionize the way we live, work, and interact with each other. However, there are concerns about the implications of AI in different areas.

One of the significant concerns is how AI is changing the job market. Some argue that AI will replace many human jobs, while others believe that AI will create new jobs and opportunities. In addition, there are concerns about the impact of AI on education. Will AI change the way we learn, and if so, how will it affect traditional teaching methods?

Another issue is the ethical implications of AI. As AI becomes more advanced, it raises questions about the ethical and moral consequences of its use. For example, how will AI impact privacy, security, and social equality? What about AI biases that can be programmed into algorithms?

So, what do you think about the impact of AI on society, school, and work? Are you optimistic about the potential benefits of AI, or do you worry about its potential drawbacks? What steps can we take to ensure that AI technology is developed and used responsibly and ethically?

Let's start a discussion and share our thoughts on this important topic.
Go watch the adam conover you tube take down of AI that came out a day ago. It might ease your concerns. Artificial Intelligence isnt here. Its another tech scam like crypto and driverless cars. Its really just artificial imitation. Its extremely limited.

GPT is a great tool for me as a teacher. I can get it to write the bones of a unit plan, create task sheets and other annoying admin-related tasks to prep for teaching.

However, I can't think of a use-case for students that isn't a complete shitshow. It's bad enough that the education sector has so many space cadets involved in influencing curriculum and pedagogy away from direct instruction and knowledge-rich curriculum - now we also have people using GPT as an excuse to get rid of standard testing and assessment methods (which that movement has wanted for a long time).

We're doomed, I tells ya.
ChatGpt cant be relied on for any information that you need to be real. A lot of it is real but you dont know which bits arent. so you have to fact check everything it says yourself making it almost useless.

It can make stories up but even the stuff it makes up is bland and generic. Hardly artistic. Nothing inspiring comes out of it.

We currently have close to full employment. there arent people to do any new jobs at the moment. We are actually struggling to find people to do all the ordinary jobs like tradies, restaurant workers, doctors etc. your concern is not one for present times.

you have nothing to fear in regards to robots and ai in the near future either as the tech is no where near as good as everyone is making it out to be. But even if we ignore that and assume it is (one day it will be) it still wont result in mass unemployment. Why? Because jobs are a function of ones own needs and not handed down by corporates or government. We have jobs because we need stuff. And yes robots may be able to do everything better then we do ourselves but if we dont get the revenue from the robots work spread around to everyone then the people left out cant buy what the robots and ai are selling. so the people create their own markets for goods and services to fulfill their needs and Its like the robots arent even there for most of us. A small set of elite people may get to retire and live off the fruits of robots but everyone else will have to keep working if the robots wealth aint shared around.

And if the robots produce everything we need for free then guess what we all win as we dont need to work anymore cos all our wants are fulfilled without working at all making work irrelevant.

I.e. a scenario where we all keep working in the long run is the bad case scenario for humans in regards to robots and ai.

Go watch the adam conover you tube take down of AI that came out a day ago. It might ease your concerns. Artificial Intelligence isnt here. Its another tech scam like crypto and driverless cars. Its really just artificial imitation. Its extremely limited.
I have done some things with it that I have not been able to do in the past, and have saved myself hours of work.

We're still far from general AI but it's pretty nifty, with some powerful possibilities.

I have done some things with it that I have not been able to do in the past, and have saved myself hours of work.

We're still far from general AI but it's pretty nifty, with some powerful possibilities.
Yep its nifty. Thats how i would describe it to. It aint a broad economy wide game changer anytime soon. It will have small niche impacts but that will largely be it for a while. Certainly no more impactful then other tech developments of the past.

Same here. Not ChatGPT specifically, but when OpenAI released GPT3 to the public I used it to fill in a CSV containing logic for categorisation of data. It was able to figure out the general pattern of the 3-4 samples I gave it and saved myself hours of work.

I think we're a fair while off ChatGPT and the like replacing humans, but it's already very useful.

I am concerned with the affect A.I will have on the arts.
Perhaps not the most urgent or major potential concern, granted.
But still, I hate the concept of A.I dehumanising art, and/or just making it easier for humans to be bone lazy in using it to create it.

AI can't physically create anything itself. It can't replicate the paint on a surface. Most of the physical arts will be untouched, even long term.
Conversely, humans already use other humans in the creation of their work. Damien Hirst, for example. Technicians complete the work and the work is sold under the artist 'brand'.
Sometimes the arts is about using other people (and maybe things) to realise your vision.

Yep its nifty. Thats how i would describe it to. It aint a broad economy wide game changer anytime soon. It will have small niche impacts but that will largely be it for a while. Certainly no more impactful then other tech developments of the past.
Have you seen the videos of the researchers giving it access to tools? It's fuzzy on maths so give it a calculator tool and it goes and uses it without being told.

That's not the game changer. The next improvement is. Then the next one. Think what all this points to rather than strictly about its limitations right now.

How far has AI come since 2016?

Twitter taught Microsoft’s AI chatbot to be a racist arsehole in less than a day
Mar 24, 2016, 10:43 AM UTC|

It took less than 24 hours for Twitter to corrupt an innocent AI chatbot. Yesterday, Microsoft unveiled Tay — a Twitter bot that the company described as an experiment in "conversational understanding." The more you chat with Tay, said Microsoft, the smarter it gets, learning to engage people through "casual and playful conversation."

Unfortunately, the conversations didn't stay playful for long. Pretty soon after Tay launched, people starting tweeting the bot with all sorts of misogynistic, racist, and Donald Trumpist remarks. And Tay — being essentially a robot parrot with an internet connection — started repeating these sentiments back to users, proving correct that old programming adage: flaming garbage pile in, flaming garbage pile out.

Now, while these screenshots seem to show that Tay has assimilated the internet's worst tendencies into its personality, it's not quite as straightforward as that. Searching through Tay's tweets (more than 96,000 of them!) we can see that many of the bot's nastiest utterances have simply been the result of copying users. If you tell Tay to "repeat after me," it will — allowing anybody to put words in the chatbot's mouth.

However, some of its weirder utterances have come out unprompted. The Guardian picked out a (now deleted) example when Tay was having an unremarkable conversation with one user (sample tweet: "new phone who dis?"), before it replied to the question "is Ricky Gervais an atheist?" by saying: "ricky gervais learned totalitarianism from adolf hitler, the inventor of atheism."

But while it seems that some of the bad stuff Tay is being told is sinking in, it's not like the bot has a coherent ideology. In the span of 15 hours Tay referred to feminism as a "cult" and a "cancer," as well as noting "gender equality = feminism" and "i love feminism now." Tweeting "Bruce Jenner" at the bot got similar mixed response, ranging from "caitlyn jenner is a hero & is a stunning, beautiful woman!" to the transphobic "caitlyn jenner isn't a real woman yet she won woman of the year?" (Neither of which were phrases Tay had been asked to repeat.)

It's unclear how much Microsoft prepared its bot for this sort of thing. The company's website notes that Tay has been built using "relevant public data" that has been "modeled, cleaned, and filtered," but it seems that after the chatbot went live filtering went out the window. The company starting cleaning up Tay's timeline this morning, deleting many of its most offensive remarks.

"Tay's responses have turned the bot into a joke, but they raise serious questions"

It's a joke, obviously, but there are serious questions to answer, like how are we going to teach AI using public data without incorporating the worst traits of humanity? If we create bots that mirror their users, do we care if their users are human trash? There are plenty of examples of technology embodying — either accidentally or on purpose — the prejudices of society, and Tay's adventures on Twitter show that even big corporations like Microsoft forget to take any preventative measures against these problems.

For Tay though, it all proved a bit too much, and just past midnight this morning, the bot called it a night:

c u soon humans need sleep now so many conversations today thx
— TayTweets (@TayandYou) March 24, 2016

In an emailed statement given later to Business Insider, Microsoft said: "The AI chatbot Tay is a machine learning project, designed for human engagement. As it learns, some of its responses are inappropriate and indicative of the types of interactions some people are having with it. We're making some adjustments to Tay."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back