The impact of Social Media/Media in todays society

Remove this Banner Ad

the biggest difference I have noticed hiring kids out of uni these days is that they have zero attention span

not sure if that is a social media thing
I'd say it is more to do with smart phones than social media itself, but in combination they'd have a massive effect on attention span.

Just look at the average length of a post on this forum in the years leading up to ubiquitous smart phone use and then now.

One positive is that with some professions (especially journalism) social media has levelled the playing field. We are seeing some good quality stuff from those who aren't privileged enough to get their foot in the door for corporate professional work. And the flaws of corporations are getting more exposed.

As a person who has recently completed qualifications in both fields I like the fact that unemployed data scientists and geospatial professionals can utilise platforms to showcase their work to improve employment prospects.

One positive is that with some professions (especially journalism) social media has levelled the playing field. We are seeing some good quality stuff from those who aren't privileged enough to get their foot in the door for corporate professional work. And the flaws of corporations are getting more exposed.

As a person who has recently completed qualifications in both fields I like the fact that unemployed data scientists and geospatial professionals can utilise platforms to showcase their work to improve employment prospects.
Yeah and we also get fackwits like that tool Avi Yemeni.

I actually detest Facebook. The only reason I have it is for work and CrossFit. Otherwise it would be gone tomorrow.

the biggest difference I have noticed hiring kids out of uni these days is that they have zero attention span

not sure if that is a social media thing

As a secondary teacher I definitely find that is the case. It used to be that for a 70 minute lesson you could do one or two activities and really hone in on a particular skill. Nowadays you have to have 4 or 5 activities for a 70 minute lesson and continually mix it up otherwise they become restless and lose focus.

I actually detest Facebook. The only reason I have it is for work and CrossFit. Otherwise it would be gone tomorrow.

How do you use Facebook with crossfit? Do you have to post pics of your child whilst burpee jumping on a box? Executing a running sandwich whilst posting an inspirational living your best life post? Something else?

How do you use Facebook with crossfit? Do you have to post pics of your child whilst burpee jumping on a box? Executing a running sandwich whilst posting an inspirational living your best life post? Something else?
Posting photos of blisters on your hands. It's a must for the crossfit enthusiast.

My box (gym) has a page on there that they post notices on. Notices about opening hours on public holidays or events/comps coming up. A lot of the competitions are pairs or teams so people will post that they are looking for a partner or team.People buy and sell equipment from each other. There is also a nationwide Masters League which regularly holds competitions that they advertise on Facebook. A lot of photos from the comps are posted on there as well.

My box (gym) has a page on there that they post notices on. Notices about opening hours on public holidays or events/comps coming up. A lot of the competitions are pairs or teams so people will post that they are looking for a partner or team.People buy and sell equipment from each other. There is also a nationwide Masters League which regularly holds competitions that they advertise on Facebook. A lot of photos from the comps are posted on there as well.
They need to get with the times and post on checks notes snapchat

Saw this today. So glad I've logged out of Instagram. So ******* stupid.

It teaches people that if you're attractive, you can be successful. I don't see too much value in the platform tbh. It's basically share your amazing life with everyone and how much better you are than everyone else. When I was using it I felt guilty sharing stuff about where I ate, where I stayed, or went on holiday because I saw so many people that were homeless and doing it tough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It teaches people that if you're attractive, you can be successful. I don't see too much value in the platform tbh. It's basically share your amazing life with everyone and how much better you are than everyone else. When I was using it I felt guilty sharing stuff about where I ate, where I stayed, or went on holiday because I saw so many people that were homeless and doing it tough.

You might like
Sugar(2022)
Vacuous instagrammers caught up in coke smuggling ring.
5 stars

Gets 5 stars for the Australian connection and the amount of kilos.
Screenshot_20221224-004008_Chrome.jpg

People need to be taught this?

Just watched that clip.

I hate what the world has become, bring on Thanos!

When I was using it I felt guilty sharing stuff about where I ate, where I stayed, or went on holiday because I saw so many people that were homeless and doing it tough.
Animated GIF

if we posted every case that involved social media and death, this thread would be very busy and have many cases.
How many people have been stalked and murdered directly from having revealed themselves online ?

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk

"She provides a look that is a woman's body and a very young face. She is baiting slightly, I think, people who want to exploit children, and I think it can be very dangerous,' Day told Rolling Stone.

'For me it posed the question: Does this [content] bait a certain demographic of people?'

Day's TikTok amassed more than three million views and prompted a wide range of responses, most of them condemning Deets by accusing her of catfishing pedophiles."

To me, it seems that the rise of social media has also seen the rise of being a flog who either shows off their wealth, or pretends to be wealthy to allow said showing off. Things like big watches, blingy chains, designer and fake designer clothes with large logos, and personalised number plates are all the rage. Nothing seems real anymore - it's all a show to look good on social media.

I also find that there are fewer and fewer women between the ages of 18 and 50 who don't have lip injections. Now don't get me wrong, people can do whatever they want and I think women are beautiful, but I don't think it adds to a woman's beauty. It looks strange and cartoon-like.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back