The impending collapse of the Victorian legal system

Remove this Banner Ad

Todman

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 7, 2004
AFL Club
Hawthorn
http://www.3aw.com.au/blogs/breakin...dals-in-victorian-history/20140401-35ux5.html

Neil Mitchell:-

I believe Victoria is on the verge of one of the biggest law and order scandals in its history. This could end anywhere. I am not overstating it, and it is not my assessment alone. I am also relying on sources who have explained what is happening. This could well result in crooks walking out of jail, police going to jail, lawyers being thrown out of their profession and, potentially, killers walking free and killers not being pursued when they should be pursued.

That is all possible, and what Victoria will need – there will be no option – is a full royal commission into what happened, why, and who was in it, because it could be that important. I don’t normally like royal commissions, but I think it will be essential.

The government is talking about the corruption commission – this is too big for that. It needs a royal commission. This all goes back to a Herald Sun report about a person they call Lawyer X. Lawyer X, the Herald Sun has found, was recruited by police to inform on underworld figures for 10 years. This person was a registered informer and gave police a pile of information on drug barons, hitmen, and the gangland wars.

Incidentally, it is 10 years since Lewis Moran was killed, so 10 years since the gangland wars really erupted. Now the claims here are that a murder taskforce was disbanded against the objections of then deputy chief Sir Ken Jones. Cases were compromised and convictions could now be thrown out. I am told there could be dozens of crooks affected by this.
There could also be misconduct or criminal claims against police – some senior – and further allegations of corruption, which will need to be tested.

They may or may not be true. But that is what we are sitting on here. It is one hell of a mess, and we only know part of it.
Believe me, this will end in a royal commission and it will be one of the ugliest times in Victorian history.

Nobody is talking about it today. Police reached agreement that some detail not be published by the Herald Sun, but what happens now?
Well, as a starting point, Sir Ken Jones will need to be brought back. I believe he was raising serious questions about all this. Conspiracy theorists would say that is one reason he was drummed out of the force - I don’t know about that.

But Sir Ken Jones needs to come back and give evidence under oath to a royal commission. The former chief, Simon Overland, will need to do the same. The government has no option. And it is starkly obvious that this goes to the heart of safety in Victoria, and the credibility of our system.

If crooks are let out of jail – if killers are not being pursued who should be pursued, or if police have somehow compromised the judicial system with this tactic – we must find out how, why and who.

And a royal commission is the only way.

Any hints as to who it is?, Herald Sun are pretty keen to name them, I only know of one underworld lawyer and that person was close to be deregistered, 8 or so years ago. People won't be happy if all these murderers walk free.

I'm not sure what the legal position on speculating as to who it is might be. But yes, its worth recalling main players in the gangland war were released from jail in order to go on the rampage because of police corruption making their convictions unsafe.

If it is who the rumour mill is suggesting it is, then indeed, all hell will break loose.

There is no way that convictions can be ruled safe it is revealed that someone's legal team was actually feeding info to the cops.

s**t is about to get very very very real.

If it is who the rumour mill is suggesting it is, then indeed, all hell will break loose.

There is no way that convictions can be ruled safe it is revealed that someone's legal team was actually feeding info to the cops.

s**t is about to get very very very real.

Okay, taking for a moment the idea that there is substance to these rumours...

The nature of this corruption undermines the very heart of how the justice system is supposed to operate. Without a shadow of an exaggeration, if true, that would be one of the most loathsome crimes yet perpetrated in the state of Victoria. It is hard to say just how deeply it goes against the basic fabric of the safeties, checks and balances that are meant to protect society as a whole to have the State operating in collusion with the supposed advocate of the defendant. It amounts to an abandonment of the adversarial legal system by agents of the state in cases where this person is involved. That is hideously corrupt.

Last edited:
Okay, taking for a moment the idea that there is substance to these rumours...

The nature of this corruption undermines the very heart of how the justice system is supposed to operate. Without a shadow of a exaggeration, if true, that would be one of the most loathsome crimes yet perpetrated in the state of Victoria. It is hard to say just how deeply it goes against the basic fabric of the safeties, checks and balances that are meant to protect society as a whole to have the State operating in collusion with the supposed advocate of the defendant. It amounts to an abandonment of the adversarial legal system by agents of the state in cases where this person is involved. That is hideously corrupt.

Yep. And as I said above, worth remembering that the gangland war was only really able to kick off because the likes of Williams and Mokbel were released from jail after the drug squad corruption was revealed.

Also, the coronial inquest in Carl Williams' death should be a belter.

A multiple murdering drug kingpin who is working with police on the investigation of the double murder of a police informer and his wife, with the nagle of investigation suggesting there rogue police involved in said killings, is himself murdered in the supposedly highest security section of the highest security prison in the state.

I mean Jesus and his mother, this is the kind of s**t that happens in Mexico or Colombia.

I don't think Joe and Janey Sixpack realise just how fundamentally corrupted the Victorian justice system is, with the police themselves being responsible, and over a very long period too.

FFS - it is getting on to be 20 years since the cops, in their infinite wisdom, decided that selling precursors to major commercial amphetamine and ecstasy manufacturers like the Morans was a good idea.

Pretty much ALL the s**t that has happened since then can be traced back to that moronic decision.

But have any senior cops been hung out to dry for that? Not that I know of. Sure the dirty drug squad cops who profited from it got whacks, but what happened the high command?

blackcat - insert Latin quote about who watches the watchmen.

(Surely a watchman watcher watches the watchmen?)

The VicPol who paid for Carl Williams to have sex with hookers AFTER he'd been convicted of multiple murders.

Folks, just a quick reminder- a suppression order is in force. Certain things just can't be said. In particular, naming or very specifically hinting at the identity of individuals affected by said suppression order.

Thanks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure about before he was convicted but I started working at the prison around the same time that he was convicted for murder and in that time up until his death there was the trip down the coast and that was it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back