The Inevitable War - Keating goes bang

Remove this Banner Ad

Ah yes, like that famous war between the US and the Soviet Union.
What does that mean? That war between major powers is a thing of the past, or that we were just lucky (and lucky we were) during the Cold War?

I am of the age where I might be forced to fight.

* that s**t, libs and national voters can fight and die first, their kids can fight and die first, their donors can fight and die first.

I have zero interest fighting because the Libs and Nats are ******* stupid and cannot do basic international diplomacy.

It means that physical war is not inevitable, contrary to the OPs assertion.
Fair enough, but I'm not sure that the OP actually made that assertion, I mean they did put the 'seems as if' qualifier in there. And to me it certainly does seem as if war is inevitable with China, and that doesn't mean I'm saying that it will definitely be theirfault either.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Fair enough, but I'm not sure that the OP actually made that assertion, I mean they did put the 'seems as if' qualifier in there.
What's the title of this thread?

And to me it certainly does seem as if war is inevitable with China, and that doesn't mean I'm saying that it will definitely be theirfault either.
OK, that's your opinion. Many thought that a direct war between the US and USSR was inevitable too.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth

OK, that's your opinion. Many thought that a direct war between the US and USSR was inevitable too.
Came ridiculously close a couple of times

if it wasnt for the absolute moral courage of the captain of a soviet nuclear missile sub ww3 would have happened.

Look it up - we were a scomo hair from the big bang and this bloke defied his orders and saved the world.

Admiral Byng

Brownlow Medallist
May 3, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
No war is inevitable.

But a lot of it depends upon China. As long as they don't attack Taiwan, or try to assert physical control over the West Philippines Sea by controlling/restricting international shipping within their nine-turds line. Also, that they do not attack India.

If war breaks out everybody loses. Chinese energy supplies will be embargoed/blockaded and they will soon feel the economic pinch. The parties on the counter-China side have the ability to close off all their other trade. For us it will mean a big loss of iron ore and coal and agricultural exports. In Taiwan thousands will die. Eventually China will have to sue for peace and full independence for Taiwan will be the price.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MAD saved us then, but will it save us again considering the extra pressures from climate change? Not often a new great power on the world stage arises without a conflict ensuing. Not sure if that's ever happened tbh.

May 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
No war is inevitable.

But a lot of it depends upon China. As long as they don't attack Taiwan, or try to assert physical control over the West Philippines Sea by controlling/restricting international shipping within their nine-turds line. Also, that they do not attack India.

If war breaks out everybody loses. Chinese energy supplies will be embargoed/blockaded and they will soon feel the economic pinch. The parties on the counter-China side have the ability to close off all their other trade. For us it will mean a big loss of iron ore and coal and agricultural exports. In Taiwan thousands will die. Eventually China will have to sue for peace and full independence for Taiwan will be the price.

Why the hell would China attack India?

Admiral Byng

Brownlow Medallist
May 3, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
Border skirmishes are hardly a precursor to invasion.

Yes I know.But the provocation might lead to foreseen consequences.

The other thing they need to stop doing is airspace incursions over their near neighbours. It only takes for one plane to be shot down for a crisis to emerge. They have been doing it on the daily for the last year or so.

May 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yes I know.But the provocation might lead to foreseen consequences.

The other thing they need to stop doing is airspace incursions over their near neighbours. It only takes for one plane to be shot down for a crisis to emerge. They have been doing it on the daily for the last year or so.

China are not going to war with anyone.

They have India to the west and they don’t like each other. They have Russia to the north. They have Japan and Korea to the east and they hate each other. And most of South East Asia to the south also hates them.

They have issues in Hong Kong. They cannot resolve Taiwan. Their own economy has massive challenges. They have spot fires everywhere due to ethnic diversity within China. They have an ageing population. And they are completely reliant on the rest of the world for food, energy and resources.

But apparently despite all this they are going to storm the beaches of Australia.

It is crazy talk.

Admiral Byng

Brownlow Medallist
May 3, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
China are not going to war with anyone.

They have India to the west and they don’t like each other. They have Russia to the north. They have Japan and Korea to the east and they hate each other. And most of South East Asia to the south also hates them.

They have issues in Hong Kong. They cannot resolve Taiwan. Their own economy has massive challenges. They have spot fires everywhere due to ethnic diversity within China. They have an ageing population. And they are completely reliant on the rest of the world for food, energy and resources.

But apparently despite all this they are going to storm the beaches of Australia.

It is crazy talk.

They are not going to storm the beaches of Australia. But if they decide to get silly with any country, it will take a combined effort of many nations to stop them. Australia will be a contributor to any such multi-national force. We will be tasked with closing off one of the sea routes to China. Japan will take the northern routes, the USA from Guam the northern routes down to New Guinea, India will close off the Malacca Straits, we will get the Sunda or Lombok passage. Starve China of energy supplies and their economy will stall - this is the deterrence effect.

Michael Corleone

Senior List
Sep 30, 2021
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don't think US and China go to war. It's possible China invades Taiwan, and the US do nothing in response, and all hell breaks loose when it becomes clear that the US can no longer defend its friends in the Western Pacific. But a hot war between the two countries is extremely remote.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back