The influence of Lewis Jetta on our club

Remove this Banner Ad

Sure the lad footballs well and damn if he doesn't have the sweetest sounding kick in the league. But there seems to be a real leadership that he has brought to our club.

Last night in the presser Simmo made a comment that the leaders would deal with J Cameron and his goal celebrations (didn't see them though). I immediately took that as Jetta will be getting around him mid week just to let him know what is expected.

I don't reckon we've ever had a better relationship with out indigenous lads than we do now. And whilst we have Narkle in a formal role - i think Jetta's influence (at least from the outside) has been immense in addition to Simmo's genuine care. Liam Ryan's season (and contribution in the last quarter of the GF) doesn't happen at our club 5+ years ago I don't reckon.

I read a post in one of the threads mentioning if 5 was the most indigenous lads we have played (it may well be).

I'd be interested to see whether coaching is in his future. I can't recall an indigenous AFL coach - but with Burgoyne entering his twilight years and what I have seen of Jetta in the last few years - I wonder if that is only 5/6 years away from changing.

He and Ryan both had the same hand gesture in the team photo. One hand flat, the other on top giving the thumbs up. Any idea what this is?

How did Cameron celebrrate? I can't remember anything from last night. I just looked at the highlights, saw one and he was just celebrating with the team.

How did Cameron celebrrate? I can't remember anything from last night. I just looked at the highlights, saw one and he was just celebrating with the team.

He shushed the crowd after his third and a few of the Cockburn faithful went absolutely ape-s**t. I don't think it's a big deal, maybe Simmo just wants him to wait until he's a bit more established before being a cheeky *er.

He shushed the crowd after his third and a few of the Cockburn faithful went absolutely ape-s**t. I don't think it's a big deal, maybe Simmo just wants him to wait until he's a bit more established before being a cheeky f***er.
I thought that was quite arrogant for a third gamer. Kid belongs 😂

The cockburners loved it when Farmer used to do similar. Their reaction was priceless. Can’t help but think they may have been giving him a little “coaching” from the sidelines, he was just letting them know he’s got this!

I know its not part of the club, but there are some strong links with the Wirrpanda Foundation. Having such strong leaders involved in the foundation, I wonder if there has been some crossover?

Sure the lad footballs well and damn if he doesn't have the sweetest sounding kick in the league. But there seems to be a real leadership that he has brought to our club.

Last night in the presser Simmo made a comment that the leaders would deal with J Cameron and his goal celebrations (didn't see them though). I immediately took that as Jetta will be getting around him mid week just to let him know what is expected.

I don't reckon we've ever had a better relationship with out indigenous lads than we do now. And whilst we have Narkle in a formal role - i think Jetta's influence (at least from the outside) has been immense in addition to Simmo's genuine care. Liam Ryan's season (and contribution in the last quarter of the GF) doesn't happen at our club 5+ years ago I don't reckon.

I read a post in one of the threads mentioning if 5 was the most indigenous lads we have played (it may well be).

I'd be interested to see whether coaching is in his future. I can't recall an indigenous AFL coach - but with Burgoyne entering his twilight years and what I have seen of Jetta in the last few years - I wonder if that is only 5/6 years away from changing.
Barry Cable was the first indigenous coach I believe

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn't sure when they first moved him back but in regards to team balance I just feel a lot more comfortable having him as an attacking option back there now. I think the Bulldogs probably use Johannisen and Caleb Daniel similarly; as in it turns out they are some of the most important players in the modern game despite not always looking the best defensively.

I also think in Jetta's case it helps that he's so relaxed too. You probably have to be to attempt some of the kicks he does in high pressure games.

Yeah, this:

Cameron is a promising young player but he does need to address this part of his game, he barely got a reaction from half a block of opposition fans. Hopefully Jetts will get him to do some extra skills sessions this week with cardboard cut outs of the magpie cheersquad training to make sure he's in a position to really ruffle some feathers on Friday night.

Rightfully named best clubman last season. Loves to play in the clutch too - great QF last season, was elite in the Port overtime period in 2017. Just a bad mfer all round.

Liam Ryan has developed into a no nonsense gut runner, something I thought had a zero percent chance of happening having read the scouting profiles when he was drafted. I dare say Jetta has had a lot to do with his attitude.

While perhaps not the most significant moment in the Grand Final, the images of Jetta taking Ryan under his wing at 3QT will define this portion of Jetta’s Eagles career to me. Ryan had spun out of the mark earlier in the third, and Jetta got around him to impart some wisdom, knowing Ryan would have another crack at redemption. I think you campaigners know what happened.

Rightfully named best clubman last season. Loves to play in the clutch too - great QF last season, was elite in the Port overtime period in 2017. Just a bad mfer all round.

Liam Ryan has developed into a no nonsense gut runner, something I thought had a zero percent chance of happening having read the scouting profiles when he was drafted. I dare say Jetta has had a lot to do with his attitude.

While perhaps not the most significant moment in the Grand Final, the images of Jetta taking Ryan under his wing at 3QT will define this portion of Jetta’s Eagles career to me. Ryan had spun out of the mark earlier in the third, and Jetta got around him to impart some wisdom, knowing Ryan would have another crack at redemption. I think you campaigners know what happened.
My favourite thing is that Ryan said that Jetta told him that he’s got one quarter left to bring some magic.

Magic he certainly did bring

Jetta will end up remaining at the club post retirement in a mentoring role I have no doubts at all. Keeps working with the boys, the Naitanui Academy, the womens team and the next generation academy. Plenty of ways to use his leadership skills post retirement.

Love how he leads by example too, on and off field. I remember a couple of years back when he addressed the whole squad about his own poor form and how committed he was to the team. Since then he's worked his arse of to learn a new role and continually improve on how he goes about it.

Reckon Jetta has taken his game to another level again this year with his defensive efforts and run, particularly with tackling + linking up for those 1-2 touches.

All of this from a bloke who had established a career, a premiership hero in his own right, a style of play that was his own. He's reinvented himself as a player just to do it all again, against all that external pressure, when the easiest thing to do would be to leave the game content that you've already done it all.

Simmo talks about resilience a lot, and Jetta just embodies that virtue in everything he's done for us #mycupoftea

Remove this Banner Ad

Back