The Injury Bug has got us.

Remove this Banner Ad

So as a tracker for best-22 or reasonable (read: played or named for MFC in the last 12 months) players this year...these are the unavailables.

Round 1: Hibberd, Wagner, vdB, Garland, Kent.
Round 2: Hibberd, Wagner, vdB, Garland, Joel Smith, Vince.
Round 3: Hibberd, Wagner, vdB, Garland, Joel Smith, Hogan, Lewis.
Round 4: Hibberd, Wagner, vdB, Garland, Joel Smith, Hogan, Lewis, Gawn.
Round 5: Wagner, vdB, Garland, Joel Smith, Lewis, Gawn.
Round 6: Wagner, vdB, Garland, Joel Smith, Gawn, Spencer, Tim Smith, Petracca?, Jones?.

We've had a really good run the last couple of years, but I think it's turned.

Shocking luck this season. Not sure how we're going to function without any sort of Ruckman. Watts competes but it's just not a role he's cut out for.

I agree, but I'd think about keeping him there, if nothing else other than to get him involved in the game and get a crash course in the physicality of rucking. A spell there and back in the forward line later in the year might give him a few more tricks.

The problem of injuries is also compounded when they've occured to our only ruckman before half time in 2 of the last 3 weeks instead of on the training track.

The problem of injuries is also compounded when they've occured to our only ruckman before half time in 2 of the last 3 weeks instead of on the training track.

^^ This. Watts has been exceptional in backing up as our primary ruckman after the injuries, and it hurts us massively in our offensive capability, because we don't get the benefit of watts kicking into the f50 or lining up for goal (Our best kick by far).

Having early injuries in games really hurts, and when its your talls/ruckman it destroys your structures.

Garland, Kent and Wagner aren't really best 22 players, I know you added your rider but they aren't good enough to hold their position. Gawn, Spencer and Hibberd have been the injuries that have hurt. Hogan and Lewis are idiots who cost the team for the stupid actions.

Garland, Kent and Wagner aren't really best 22 players, I know you added your rider but they aren't good enough to hold their position. Gawn, Spencer and Hibberd have been the injuries that have hurt. Hogan and Lewis are idiots who cost the team for the stupid actions.

Yep, the HFF who led our goal assists and went at over a goal a game last year isn't in our best 22.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's some pretty bad luck in that run of injuries but I think Goodwin needs to examine the gameplan too.

We're playing a high intensity, tackle centric style with a young team (and questionable fitness base) that:

a) Wears our players out too quickly, likely limiting recovery
b) Increases the likelihood of impact injuries
c) Exposes the team badly if injuries are incurred during the game

I'm admittedly no expert on the issue but I think we need to be a lot more flexible with our playing style.

There's some pretty bad luck in that run of injuries but I think Goodwin needs to examine the gameplan too.

We're playing a high intensity, tackle centric style with a young team (and questionable fitness base) that:

a) Wears our players out too quickly, likely limiting recovery
b) Increases the likelihood of impact injuries
c) Exposes the team badly if injuries are incurred during the game

I'm admittedly no expert on the issue but I think we need to be a lot more flexible with our playing style.

Yes it is concerning there does not appear to be a reliable defensive plan we can utilise for a few minutes if we need to. It seems if we do go extra defensive, say at the end of a quarter, everyone starts rushing and panic kicking and inevitably we give away easy goals anyway.

Other than Gawn no one is really best 22. I have a lot of faith in Frost, but I don't think he's fit enough to ruck for 120 minutes. It's a good opportunity for our midfield to mature without a dominant ruck like Geelong did, and they'll be better for it when Gawn does come back. The problem is winning games in the interim...

I agree, but I'd think about keeping him there, if nothing else other than to get him involved in the game and get a crash course in the physicality of rucking. A spell there and back in the forward line later in the year might give him a few more tricks.

Yeah watts playing as an old fashioned follower Is something I really like. The more he touches the footy the better for us

However our inside midfielders need to stop letting players walk out of the clearance situation

Remove this Banner Ad

Back