The Ins and Outs between Vic and Non Vic Teams

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
So the talk in the thread all about young draftees demanding trades to 'Go Home', got me thinking, so I put together a list from last year of players that CAME TO VICTORIA from an interstate club, and players that LEFT VICTORIA for an interstate club.

Obviously each individual case needs to be looked at, as well as each individual clubs recruiting situation to get an accurate reading but this is just a crude list of the names put together for conversation sakes.

Just looking at the list, there is a clear sway towards people coming into the Victorian teams, but that is to be expected with 10 of the teams in Victoria vs 8 interstate teams.

I didn't include DFA in here either as I thought that it wouldn't add too much to the list.

All together 20 people moved clubs between Victoria and Interstate in the trade period last year. From those 20 people, 65% were heading to Victoria while the remaining 35% left Victoria.

It is interesting when you look at it, I doubt you can draw a clear conclusion from it all, but here it is for anyone interested.

2016 Trade Period:

Victoria Incoming: 13 (6 moving back to their home state)
Caleb Marchbank - H
Jarrod Pickett
Rhys Palmer
Chris Mayne
Will Hoskin Elliot - H
James Stewart - H
Jaegar O'Meara
Dion Prestia - H
Tom Mitchell
Pat Mckenna - H
Paul Ahern - H
Toby Nankervis
Jack Steele

Victoria Outgoing: 7 (3 moving back to their home state)
Jarrod Witts
Jack Frost
Shane Kersten - H
Nathan Vardy
Brad Hill - H
Sam Mitchell
Brett Deledio
Joel Hamling - H

EDIT:
PowerForGood made a good suggestion, so I put 'H' next to the players who have returned to their home state.

Used this page to help with the names: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-23/trade-verdict-how-did-your-club-fare-during-the-trade-period

Last edited:
Good work to put facts on the table.

Question: did the 7 that you've listed as leaving Victoria all go back to their home state?

So the talk in the thread all about young draftees demanding trades to 'Go Home', got me thinking, so I put together a list from last year of players that CAME TO VICTORIA from an interstate club, and players that LEFT VICTORIA for an interstate club.

Obviously each individual case needs to be looked at, as well as each individual clubs recruiting situation to get an accurate reading but this is just a crude list of the names put together for conversation sakes.

Just looking at the list, there is a clear sway towards people coming into the Victorian teams, but that is to be expected with 10 of the teams in Victoria vs 8 interstate teams.

I didn't include DFA in here either as I thought that it wouldn't add too much to the list.

All together 20 people moved clubs between Victoria and Interstate in the trade period last year. From those 20 people, 65% were heading to Victoria while the remaining 35% left Victoria.

It is interesting when you look at it, I doubt you can draw a clear conclusion from it all, but here it is for anyone interested.

2016 Trade Period:

Victoria Incoming: 13
Caleb Marchbank - H
Jarrod Pickett
Rhys Palmer
Chris Mayne
Will Hoskin Elliot - H
James Stewart - H
Jaegar O'Meara
Dion Prestia - H
Tom Mitchell
Pat Mckenna - H
Paul Ahern - H
Toby Nankervis
Jack Steele

Victoria Outgoing: 7
Jarrod Witts
Jack Frost
Shane Kersten - H
Nathan Vardy
Brad Hill - H
Sam Mitchell
Brett Deledio
Joel Hamling - H

EDIT:
PowerForGood made a good suggestion, so I put 'H' next to the players who have returned to their home state.

Used this page to help with the names: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-23/trade-verdict-how-did-your-club-fare-during-the-trade-period
Interesting stats, wouldn't mind seeing it over the last several years as well to get a understanding of the bigger picture.

Interesting stats, wouldn't mind seeing it over the last several years as well to get a understanding of the bigger picture.
Luckily for you, I am hungover and can't be bothered leaving the house today.

2015 Trade Period:

Victoria Incoming: 14 (8 moving back to their home state)
Sam Kerridge - H
Andrew Phillips
Jed Lamb - H
Lauchie Plowman - H
Liam Sumner - H
Adam Treloar - H
James Aish
Matthew Leuenberger
Craig Bird
Patrick Dangerfield - H
Scot Selwood - H
Zac Smith
Tomas Bugg - H
Jacob Townsend

Victoria Outgoing: 11 (4 moving back to their home state)
Troy Menzel - H
Paul Seedsman
Dean Gore - H
Ryan Bastinac
Tom Bell - H
Jarred Jansen
Josh Walker
Steve Johnson
Jimmy Toumpas - H
Micheal Talia
Jonathan Giles

2016 Trade Period:

Victoria Incoming: 13 (6 moving back to their home state)
Caleb Marchbank - H
Jarrod Pickett
Rhys Palmer
Chris Mayne
Will Hoskin Elliot - H
James Stewart - H
Jaegar O'Meara
Dion Prestia - H
Tom Mitchell
Pat Mckenna - H
Paul Ahern - H
Toby Nankervis
Jack Steele

Victoria Outgoing: 7 (3 moving back to their home state)
Jarrod Witts
Jack Frost
Shane Kersten - H
Nathan Vardy
Brad Hill - H
Sam Mitchell
Brett Deledio
Joel Hamling - H

EDIT:

It's more complicated though. Victoria has 10 opportunities and it's not necessarily the case the players motivation was to go home. From us I'd suggest Marchbank definitely wanted to go home and WHE almost certainly. Stewart I think wanted a better opportunity to play AFL, and it's worked out well for him. Ahern not so sure, maybe just wanted a change and break a rotten run of luck.

It's more complicated though. Victoria has 10 opportunities and it's not necessarily the case the players motivation was to go home. From us I'd suggest Marchbank definitely wanted to go home and WHE almost certainly. Stewart I think wanted a better opportunity to play AFL, and it's worked out well for him. Ahern not so sure, maybe just wanted a change and break a rotten run of luck.
Yeah that's why I mentioned in the spiel at the top you can't read too far into this, and each individual case is different, this is just a crude list I have thrown together while looking no deeper than what player went where.

Yeah that's why I mentioned in the spiel at the top you can't read too far into this, and each individual case is different, this is just a crude list I have thrown together while looking no deeper than what player went where.
I think it's an interesting discussion, and a challenge for our clubs in particular, although the focus seems to be the Criws right now. The number if players on our list that have talked openly about homesickness in the early years particularly is troubling. I think our player welfare had to be better than anyone elses in that time with so many youngsters. Your's presumably the same.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back