The Interesting Scorecard Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I won't post the scorecard but I signed up for Cricket Archive recently and, as you do, started searching for people I knew.

Which is how, after almost 20 years of knowing him, I came to ask my brother-in-law: "Can you tell me about the time you dismissed Wasim Akram?"
Cricket Archive is great, well worth the money

3rd test, 1936-37 Ashes series.

Australia reversed its batting order in the 2nd innings to protect the 'known' batsman from the wet wicket. Subsequently, Bradman and Jack Fingleton put on a 346 stand.

Two interesting things from this innings:

1. The 270 that Bradman made was ranked by Wisden at no. #1 as the best batting innings in test history
2. Jack Fingleton absolutely hated Bradman (for various reasons). They did not speak to each other from the time Fingleton retired from cricket right up until his death in 1981.

Mind you, Fingleton wasn't alone in his thoughts about 'our Don'....

An instance of a player scoring a double century in each innings of a minor match in Western Australia. Interestingly, the name of the ground is also the player's surname.

View attachment 1921155

I can’t find the scorecards but when I was working at the local paper we went maybe 5-6 years without a local cricket double tonne in any grade, senior or junior.

A kid came out when he was about 17 and smacked a double in the father-son grade, a semi-serious grade where in that scenario by the time it became obvious he was a class above, the senior players in the other team would have started bowling ‘properly’ to him rather than taking it a bit easy on him.

I did a big write up about it, put him on the back page etc.

A week later he came out and did it again.

Actually worthy of this thread I would post it except I can’t stand the guy who did it, a few weeks ago a guy smacked 250* in first grade, it’s an intercity comp between us and the neighbouring city (both towns of 40,000 people) and in the same game took 6-fer. Not sure if his final figures stayed this way but at one point I think he had 6-2 off 8 or something ridiculous.

JFMc 's 125 off 38; and scores of 435/9 and and 398 in the Marsh Cup this summer

----

Nepal score 314 off 20, and bowl Mongolia out for 41 in the Asian Games last year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Australia vs South Africa at the SCG 1994. Australia was set 117 for victory, Mark Taylor, David Boon and Craig McDermott get 80 between them (68% of the victory target) and Australia fall 5 runs short of victory with McDermott getting the top score while batting at 10

Vividly remember when this happened. Came at a time when Windies fortunes were starting to fade but the opening stand and its sheer magnitude gave me hope that this series would be one where we came out and smashed the kiwis from pillar to post. Staged a massive opening partnership that I thought would get to 300 - it didn’t but I thought ‘well at least it guarantees us 450+.’ We lost some quick wickets.

‘Well at least it guarantees us 400.’

We lost some more wickets.

Ok at least we will easily get 350.

We scrape past that total.

In all we lose 20 wickets for 186 runs after making 0-276 and get blown off the park by 9 wickets and lose the series 2-0.

This one is always hard to top for me. Perth Grade Cricket (now Premier Cricket) First Grade Grand Final.

Matthew Garnaut and Brett Mulder, who both played about 20 games for Western Australia, put on 177 for the tenth wicket to win the grand final and the competition.

The match also featured Simon Katich, Jo Angel, Ryan Campbell and Mark Lavender.

Vividly remember when this happened. Came at a time when Windies fortunes were starting to fade but the opening stand and its sheer magnitude gave me hope that this series would be one where we came out and smashed the kiwis from pillar to post. Staged a massive opening partnership that I thought would get to 300 - it didn’t but I thought ‘well at least it guarantees us 450+.’ We lost some quick wickets.

In all we lose 20 wickets for 186 runs after making 0-276 and get blown off the park by 9 wickets and lose the series 2-0.
31% of a teams runs for a series coming from a single partnership would have to be the all-time record... probably by some distance as well.

Imagine being 0-276 in your first innings and losing the test!

Goes to show just how unpredictable cricket can be.....and why most of us love it!

Posting this more of the innings from Tanmay Agarwal, 366 off 181

Remove this Banner Ad

Back