Politics The Internets Own Boy, Web Freedom and American Injustice

Remove this Banner Ad

You determined that all by yourself? Who's a big boy?

The evidence was there including film of him entering a controlled access computer closet to which he was not entitled to access.

His problem was that he was a zealot and couldn't conceive that anything he did was wrong. So he didn't take the plea bargain. Muppet.

The evidence was there including film of him entering a controlled access computer closet to which he was not entitled to access.

His problem was that he was a zealot and couldn't conceive that anything he did was wrong. So he didn't take the plea bargain. Muppet.
What was he guilty of?

What was illegal about it?

JSTOR is a paid service for which MIT subscribed and made available to its students for research.

Swartz wasn't at MIT and had no right of access. He also downloaded 4 million docs from it. Claiming 'research purposes' is like claiming personal use when caught with a kilo of smack.

JSTOR is a paid service for which MIT subscribed and made available to its students for research.

Swartz wasn't at MIT and had no right of access. He also downloaded 4 million docs from it. Claiming 'research purposes' is like claiming personal use when caught with a kilo of smack.
This is a civil matter is it not?

In what way is it a federal crime?

This is a civil matter is it not?

No, a criminal one.

In what way is it a federal crime?

I don't pretend to know where the boundary between a state and a federal crime is.

Suffice to say, he was bang to rights and hardly anyone would think six months a draconian punishment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Since breaking, entering and stealing was a crime.

Let me guess, you think anything digital is automatically public domain, and Swartz was performing some sort of community service stealing the files to make them available.:rolleyes:
Since when was he breaking and entering? He never accessed anything that was locked, nor are there restrictions on who can be on MIT's campus at any time.

The only thing he did was violate MIT's terms of service.

Since when was he breaking and entering? He never accessed anything that was locked, nor are there restrictions on who can be on MIT's campus at any time.

So? If someone leaves a door open and you enter without permission, you're still committing a crime. He had no authorisation to enter the closet, but went in anyway. Crime. Downloaded millions of documents. Crime. Like I said, bang to rights.

So? If someone leaves a door open and you enter without permission, you're still committing a crime. He had no authorisation to enter the closet, but went in anyway. Crime. Downloaded millions of documents. Crime. Like I said, bang to rights.
Since when was he denied permission to the closet?

Bullshit. He was offered a plea bargain of six months in a minimum security prison. The dumb**** said no.

Yeah, I'm guessing you know that both:

a) Swartz was considering entering politics after the successful campaign against the SOPA and PIPA bills.
b) Convicted felons can't run for office in the USA.

Which of course was why he didn't take the plea bargain, and also why those handling the prosecution offered it.

If you didn't know this consider yourself informed :). If you did (which I suspect), the omission is mendacious (and wrong to the point of bizarre) in trying to characterise Swartz as a "dumb*".

Last edited:
If you didn't know this consider yourself informed :). If you did (which I suspect), the omission is mendacious (and wrong to the point of bizarre) in trying to characterise Swartz as a "dumb****".

Actually I didn't know so I shall consider myself informed.:)

If anything it confirms my opinion of him as a dumb*.

Wants to run for office. Commits a crime, knowing a conviction will render him ineligible. Dumb* all right.

Actually I didn't know so I shall consider myself informed.:)

If anything it confirms my opinion of him as a dumb****.

Wants to run for office. Commits a crime, knowing a conviction will render him ineligible. Dumb**** all right.

The JSTOR incident occurred in December/January 2010/11.

Campaigning to stop the SOPA and PIPA legislation occurred from late 2011 to early 2012.

This conversation is just confirming my opinion of you as someone who is intellectually uncurious and full of judgement and bluster about topics you know little about.

This conversation is just confirming my opinion of you as someone who is intellectually uncurious and full of judgement and bluster about topics you know little about.

I just have a low tolerance for internet 'heroes' who steal stuff in the name of free speech and then bleat 'persecution' when caught.

I just have a low tolerance for internet 'heroes' who steal stuff in the name of free speech and then bleat 'persecution' when caught.

Personally, I don't feel a sense of kin with people who would rather hoard knowledge for their own benefit than share it for the benefit of many/all. It's not a zero sum game.

Me knowing something does not deprive you of knowing the same thing. The only thing lost when two people know the same thing over just one is the superiority of knowing something that someone else doesn't.

Which I'm happy to give up.

Bullshit. He was offered a plea bargain of six months in a minimum security prison. The dumb**** said no.
I see you are both a fan of compassion and justice.

Why should he plead guilty to charges he rightfully wished to contest.

Why face being a felon for the rest of his life, simply to escape injustice

Incorrect.

He was a Harvard fellow, and therefore had a legal right to access JSTOR and download archived documents at MIT under a guest account.

Since breaking, entering and stealing was a crime.

Let me guess, you think anything digital is automatically public domain, and Swartz was performing some sort of community service stealing the files to make them available.:rolleyes:
Again, it wasn't theft. He had no plans to share the documents and had a legal right to download them.

Likewise, he had permission to be on campus. The MIT library is not restricted space regardless.

For someone so ignorant, you are mighty agressive, you would happily vilify someone, who tragically committed suicide, without knowing the facts of the case all to push a personal barrow.

Says a lot about you

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back