The Jack Macrae Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

blagodellago

Team Captain
Oct 20, 2015
Boulder, CO
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He's my favourite player. One of the toughest players there is, but is barely a part of the conversation. He will always take the hit, holding the ball for the extra second to help the team. I also think he is the best tackler in our team and his defensive stuff is seriously underrated. Gun.

Oliver G

Premium Platinum
May 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Jack Macrae also became the youngest player in the AFL to play a 40 possession game (43 & 2 from memory). He was 19.

He s also super-competitive and very disciplined, never gives away stupid free kicks. It's scary he's still a couple of years off his best football.

Yep youngest and only teenager to get 40 I believe. Also the youngest player to get 35+ in a final.

Interesting to hear Bob talking about his reaction after that goal he kicked last week, showed a lot of emotion which he doesn’t normally show. Thinks our group is very fired up. Hold on to your hats kids, going to be a wild ride.

He's the blue collar worker of our team. He's dedicated, reliable, consistent, goes about his job without much fanfare, loyal and someone you'd like to have in the trenches with you. He's a keeper.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He's the blue collar worker of our team. He's dedicated, reliable, consistent, goes about his job without much fanfare, loyal and someone you'd like to have in the trenches with you. He's a keeper.
I hate this, hes soooo not blue collar. Dunkley and Wally are blue collar. Macrae is pure class, its just a bonus that hes got the toughness and workrate of a blue collar player

Substance

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 6, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
20+ disposal games since start of 2014

112 - Josh P. Kennedy
108 - Patrick Dangerfield
104 - Scott Pendlebury
100 - Adam Treloar
100 - JACKSON MACRAE

Quite remarkable when you consider that 2014 was just his second season in the competition. The bloke just doesn't play bad games, it's actually unreal. He has registered 20 disposals or more in 107 of his first 120 games of his career. That has to be some kind of record surely.

I remember watching Steven King say in an interview back in 2015 that he's got a natural competitive edge where he just doesn't give up and will continue to grind out games, even if he's had a bad quarter or a bad half. After hearing him say this I decided to watch Macrae closely whenever he started a game slowly and my god he wasn't lying. He works his absolute ass off to ensure he ends up with his 20+ touches no matter how poorly he starts. It's almost as if he's aware of just how many disposals he's sitting on and has to make sure he reaches the 20 mark at a minimum. I now start smirking whenever I see him sitting on 9 touches at half time (rare I know) knowing he's probably beating himself up in the rooms and will come out and end up with 33 for the game. It's an amazing trait to have.

Hasn't had less than 20 in a game for 4 years I believe.

I hate this, hes soooo not blue collar. Dunkley and Wally are blue collar. Macrae is pure class, its just a bonus that hes got the toughness and workrate of a blue collar player
So you're saying that a blue collar worker has no class? Hmmm... and "hate" is such a strong word...

Interesting to hear Bob talking about his reaction after that goal he kicked last week, showed a lot of emotion which he doesn’t normally show. Thinks our group is very fired up. Hold on to your hats kids, going to be a wild ride.
I can think of one other goal he kicked where he showed plenty of emotion, right down to a small piece of spittle leaving his mouth on the close up.

It's probably in my top ten moments of watching football of all time. Guess which one :cool:

I know Bob has said that he counts his possies during the game.

He's still prone to the odd dinky floater or scrubby kick which is the only thing holding him back from being truly elite IMO. Thought he'd cleared it up late last year but it's come back a tad this year. He needs to be kicking through the ball low and hard, like his action for the goal. When he does those little toe stabbers is when he mis-kicks.

AFDogs

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

He's still prone to the odd dinky floater or scrubby kick which is the only thing holding him back from being truly elite IMO. Thought he'd cleared it up late last year but it's come back a tad this year. He needs to be kicking through the ball low and hard, like his action for the goal. When he does those little toe stabbers is when he mis-kicks.

If you're getting the ball 35 times a game they can't all be perfect kicks. When will people realize this? Danger is the same. People complain about his kicking but don't take into account he is getting the ball 30 times a game in congestion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you're getting the ball 35 times a game they can't all be perfect kicks. When will people realize this? Danger is the same. People complain about his kicking but don't take into account he is getting the ball 30 times a game in congestion.
I'm not asking for perfection, just not full scrubbers or terrible floaters. Macrae's ones seem to be technique based and happen under no pressure whatsoever. They are just total mis-kicks that you don't see the truly elite mids that play a similar role to him make (think pendles, selwood, cotchin). Fix those up and he goes into that kind of realm.

Last edited:
"Jack Macrae: The Samurai Way"

He's a shogun on the footy field, the noble warrior of the midfield, the grand master of footy stats.

I do like the story of his drafting - he was a skinny kid and we were concerned whether he'd have the body type to put on enough muscle to play the role we want him to at AFL level.
Dalrymple went to his house, took one look at Jack's dad and crossed that concern off his list. Then Jack kicks the winning point in the TAC GF and the rest is history.

I do like the story of his drafting - he was a skinny kid and we were concerned whether he'd have the body type to put on enough muscle to play the role we want him to at AFL level.
Dalrymple went to his house, took one look at Jack's dad and crossed that concern off his list. Then Jack kicks the winning point in the TAC GF and the rest is history.
I thought that happened with Tim English. Or perhaps it happens with all of them?

Obviously Scott Clayton didn't visit enough dads when he was recruiting for the Dogs.

RedWhite&Blue

Premiership Player
Jul 21, 2005
Vic
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He's a fantastic player - just a bit of a knock on his kicking. They're a bit loopy and lack penetration...
Having said that, his goal on the left against the Hawks was a dagger!!!! F#$k that was a great crumb and goal!!

Next Waiting

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 19, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He is utterly driven and relentless in his quest to get better.

Just missed out on two individual awards last year by the proverbial bees....

Would not back against him to achieving both All Australian and B&F this year.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He is utterly driven and relentless in his quest to get better.

Just missed out on two individual awards last year by the proverbial bees....

Would not back against him to achieving both All Australian and B&F this year.
Why stop there?

The Brownlow is no longer a pipe dream. He finished on 14 votes last year, putting him even with Ablett, Selwood and Wines. Genuinely believe he was robbed of votes in multiple games too, which is probably a symptom of 2018 being his breakout year so he was still struggling to be noticed. This year, he has the higher profile so should have even better chance of getting himself noticed.

He's already put out two 30+ disposal games this year. Not to mention last time we faced Gold Coast, he got 40 disposals, a goal, 8 tackles, 6 I50s and 12 clearances.

Only thing that'll hurt him is Libba's return

Dog Rising

All Australian
Jul 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Jack Mac is one of my faves. He gets pummelled week after week. Gets up and keeps going. His work rate is elite. I think he'd like being underrated. No fanfare for Jack. Absolute gun.

Chadley

All Australian
Aug 5, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Macrae is already truly elite

Remove this Banner Ad

Back