The Jack Macrae Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Bit of strange question - don't really see why it matters...

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Jack's dad (who recently passed away) remarried and Finlay Macrae is one of the children from the second marriage.

it doesn’t matter at all. I was just curious as I thought I had heard it mentioned.

It’s a completely reasonable question.

Does its answer change anything about Jack Macrae, the Bulldogs, Fin Macrae or football generally? Not really.

Just concerns the personal dynamics of a family.

I mean it’s 2021 there are millions of families in Australia who have ‘half brothers’ step sisters and step parents.

Doesn’t mean we don’t love and support each other.

Does its answer change anything about Jack Macrae, the Bulldogs, Fin Macrae or football generally? Not really.

I mean it’s 2021 there are millions of families in Australia who have ‘half brothers’ step sisters and step parents.

No ones having a crack at them 😂 it’s just interesting to know whether they’ve got the same genes or not

Nobody is saying they don’t love each other, mate. It was just someone being inquisitive. If we are getting offended by that line of questioning then lord help us.

I have another question: is Jack Macrae already a starting onballer in our team of the 21st century? I say yes, alongside Bont and West, ahead of Cooney, Griffen and Libba Snr. May look like recency bias, but our recent teams are a lot better than those of the early 2000s.

I have another question: is Jack Macrae already a starting onballer in our team of the 21st century? I say yes, alongside Bont and West, ahead of Cooney, Griffen and Libba Snr. May look like recency bias, but our recent teams are a lot better than those of the early 2000s.

For now yes, but there’s a lot of century left

Jack Macrae is everything that's good about our club. Humble. Under-estimated. Hard-working. Effective but not flashy. Under the radar. Much loved and not taken for granted by all Bulldogs fans.

Jack...my very favourite Bulldog!

gettyimages-539381926-612x612.jpg

Jack Macrae is everything that's good about our club. Humble. Under-estimated. Hard-working. Effective but not flashy. Under the radar. Much loved and not taken for granted by all Bulldogs fans.

Jack...my very favourite Bulldog!

View attachment 1104334

Has to be a sneaky for the Brownlow if they don’t gift it to Petracca

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has to be a sneaky for the Brownlow if they don’t gift it to Petracca
A guy I know is a pro gambler and he and his syndicate have backed Macrae very heavily for the Brownlow. They apparently got in before the season started. They won't tell me why they think he can win it. Too much midfield competition in our team for my liking... but they are the pros. Had to place their stake over seven bookies to get the size and odds they wanted. Even then some of the bookies laid off they think. Macrae has certainly shortened in the market.

A guy I know is a pro gambler and he and his syndicate have backed Macrae very heavily for the Brownlow. They apparently got in before the season started. They won't tell me why they think he can win it. Too much midfield competition in our team for my liking... but they are the pros. Had to place their stake over seven bookies to get the size and odds they wanted. Even then some of the bookies laid off they think. Macrae has certainly shortened in the market.

I’m not a gambler but my father was and he always said follow the “smart” money

Jack will rack up 1 and 2 votes and get an occasional 3 imo. Will go very close

One thing I love about him is that he just keeps going. I’ve lost count of how often he is taken out after a disposal for a downfield free kick, but always just gets up and keeps going. Never see him really involved in push & shove or anything like that, but would no doubt fly the flag if he had to

I’m not a gambler but my father was and he always said follow the “smart” money
I don't ever gamble either but the smart money is a "thing" in gambling and investing as well. Even if they get it wrong and Macrae doesn't win he will poll well. These guys know sports and are unemotional. They rate Macrae.

I don't ever gamble either but the smart money is a "thing" in gambling and investing as well. Even if they get it wrong and Macrae doesn't win he will poll well. These guys know sports and are unemotional. They rate Macrae.
51 Brownlow votes from 60 games over 2018-2020 including a high of 22 votes in 2019.

He'll be thereabouts again this year especially with his strong start in the first four rounds. Could easily be on 7 or 8 votes already.

I think it’s very possible. Bartel won a Brownlow in a stacked midfield as the under the radar type.

He’s a proven vote getter and if we can manage to win 15+ games with his current form like I’d give him a big chance. Bont playing a lot of forward could help too.

if he is also a good brother he should teach fin how to kick
but only if fin asks for a trade to the bulldogs.....
....and we snag him

jack would be starting 22 in the best we have ever seen at the club i thinks
I'm interested to hear what others think about that. My earliest footy memories are the very late 90s so there's a lot of history I've missed, but Jack is clearly in the top 3 bulldogs mids I've seen, and my impression is that most of our club legends primarily played other positions. Whitten mainly chb/chf, Sutton back pocket, Hawkins on a wing, Schultz a ruckman etc. By the end of his career, could Jack Macrae be a starting mid in the greatest bulldogs team of all time?

Amongst all the disappointment over the last 3 rounds I just want to give a shout out to Jack for another incredible season. He's probably the only player (maybe Keath as well) that can hold their head high for performing in every game of the season. Jack finished the H&A season ranked in the competition as a midfielder...

1st for effective disposals (2nd most on record) (1st in the competition as well)
1st for score assists (1st in the competition as well)
1st for champion data ranking points (1st in the competition as well)
2nd for disposals (for players with 500+ disposals)
2nd for disposal efficiency (for players with 500+ disposals)
2nd for kicking efficiency (for players with 250+ kicks)
3rd for effective metres gained
3rd for centre clearances
3rd for AFL player ratings (5th overall)
4th for score involvements
4th for scoreboard impact (score + score assisted)
5th for score launches
5th for ground ball gets
5th for baulks

Along with the above Jack also became just the 2nd player in history (behind Pendlebury in 2011) to record 100+ ranking points in 21/22 H&A games.

I still maintain he is underrated in the competition and it will be a crime against humanity if Jack's not selected in the AA team later this week. With Bont's form drop over the last 6 weeks I reckon the B&F is going to be a lot closed than it probably was.

It's hard to believe but Jack will play his 200th game next year and let's also hope that we sign him up on a long term contract sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back