Opinion The Jack Redpath Effect

Remove this Banner Ad

If we're talking players on the list, I've not seen that player since the 2016 grand final.

If we're talking in a trade/draft, I agree - but that doesn't help us right now.

Only point is that right now we play better with him in the team than the alternatives at our disposal. I agree with Fronk's assessment of him as a "battler" - but that's all we have right now until someone finds some form or steps up their game.
Haven't given up on Boyd.
But I think it's a bit of a placebo effect. Because it seems he's "great for our structure" then he all of a sudden isn't when we play a good side. I think it has far more to do with team attitude and opposition. I continue to be Redpath Sceptical .

I mainly like Redpath as a 2-goals/game i50 player, so my preference is that he is a target, but not the sole target. Preferably one of 6 or more which would include the usual suspects - Dickson, Gowers, Dale, Bont, Dunkley - but also the likes of English drifting forward. If he represents a goal-scoring threat he will draw a bigger defender, leaving the others better placed to capitalise.

If playing him as a decoy works I'll live with that for a while but I think that will have limited shelflife and anyway we could get more out of using someone like Boyd or Roughy in that role because they could be genuine alternating rucks with English, something we can't say about Redpath.

The leadership role he plays is interesting. I haven't got a good handle on how and why that works but it's certainly a plus for him.

I agree that he's really a year-to-year proposition though. If Boyd or Schache come good or we get someone like Lukosius he could be squeezed out. Certainly doesn't fit the "versatility" mould so he'll need some special selling points if he wants to hang around.

I mainly like Redpath as a 2-goals/game i50 player, so my preference is that he is a target, but not the sole target. Preferably one of 6 or more which would include the usual suspects - Dickson, Gowers, Dale, Bont, Dunkley - but also the likes of English drifting forward. If he represents a goal-scoring threat he will draw a bigger defender, leaving the others better placed to capitalise.

If playing him as a decoy works I'll live with that for a while but I think that will have limited shelflife and anyway we could get more out of using someone like Boyd or Roughy in that role because they could be genuine alternating rucks with English, something we can't say about Redpath.

The leadership role he plays is interesting. I haven't got a good handle on how and why that works but it's certainly a plus for him.

I agree that he's really a year-to-year proposition though. If Boyd or Schache come good or we get someone like Lukosius he could be squeezed out. Certainly doesn't fit the "versatility" mould so he'll need some special selling points if he wants to hang around.

I watched him closely on Sunday. It was evident that he was the main voice in terms of telling players where to position themselves in the forward line. I can see why he was given the leadership position.

Need to finish last for that I'd say. Who knows though.

Haven't given up on Boyd.
But I think it's a bit of a placebo effect. Because it seems he's "great for our structure" then he all of a sudden isn't when we play a good side. I think it has far more to do with team attitude and opposition. I continue to be Redpath Sceptical .
If Bont plays full time forward than yes, Redpath is good for our F50 structure. If anyone else is the tall there, than no.

I don't think Boyd can play with Redpath, Roughy can't and Schache in development terms is a fair stretch behind them all.

Can appreciate the sentiments of the OP. I am a fan and think he has some value for us, he is competitive enough (just) and a good enough kick for goal that you can't ignore the threat. Get the ball in his hands inside 50 5 times and he kicks 4 goals etc etc.

It'd be ideal if we could get the game time and predictability and strong, selfless work out of a more talented player in future. Boyd, Shache etc get into that groove and they become the weapons we all hope they can be. Meat and potatoes, with a little chilli powder or a bit of mayo.

I’m still amazed that we’ve amassed a list without any killer goal kickers on it. Not one.

We had Jake before his life fell apart. And Dickson before he got old. But we really are left with nothing by way of dangerous forwards. Amazing.

Redpath does seem to have a positive impact on the team, but he’s just a battler.

Gowers can be a 40 goal fwd in a functioning forward line and some kicking practice. I like him.

Harder to tell when not at the game but did he actually spend a lot of time at full forward? Didn’t seem to on the coverage.
He seemed to push quite high to me. Almost played like a total decoy.
Gowers or Bont seemed to play deepest for most of yesterday

Gowers did the same last week and was outmuscled at times I thought by 2 opponents and didn't make the most of his opportunities when he got them, but I thought he brought a bit to the table yesterday and was regularly only one out with an opponent which is what we have to make happen up forward for it to click. Dickson and Red coming in surely deflected pressure away from him and gave us some structure at times. Bont and Dunkley were able to thrive also.

I remember when we played small under Eade, Johnno and Hahn regularly took the KPDs, occasionally Murph too, while Aker, Gia, Higgins and Robbins played on the smalls, it didn't work bombing it onto their heads as they were undersized, but if they were one on one and had some space via other forwards leading and deflecting pressure away from their space then they were a chance. If Red can say draw a KPD away and leave Bont and Gowers on the 2nd/3rd types then perhaps it can work some weeks. However imo we need Bont in midfield against the big bodied midfields, against smaller midfields he can sit forward.

Redpath needs to be our Cam Pedersen type for the moment, we are short in the key forward position and we can only let him go when we have depth in that area. Schache and Boyd have to cement themselves in the team and we'd probably need another developing KPF for us to let him go. Reckon we keep him for another two years, if no faith is shown in Boyd and he eventually wants out then we are stuck with Red for longer.

If Bont plays full time forward than yes, Redpath is good for our F50 structure. If anyone else is the tall there, than no.

I don't think Boyd can play with Redpath, Roughy can't and Schache in development terms is a fair stretch behind them all.
Don't see it. Think we need to move past him no matter who is the second forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we are allowed to play smart hit up footy Redpath is ok. But against better teams I see Red as a liability as with high balls most of the time he will get out marked. He offers little pressure either. also is a complete liability in the ruck.

He does offer structure I guess and he does lead which is something. I just seeing this value being offset by his weaknesses against higher pressuring tewms than EFC (who IMO are worst pressuring team in the comp)

After the 1st two rounds which were as close to as bad as things get on the field, don't meddle with a winning formula. Red stays.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back