JimDocker

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2007
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Doncaster Rovers, Boston Celtics
I'm coming to Perth for a while, i need the real straight dope - where are the best fish & chip shops?

Fishing Boat Harbour in Fremantle has Ciccerello's, Joe's Fish Shack and Kailiss Brothers. All very good fish and chips and a beautiful spot.

My favourite place for fish and chips is Clancy's pub in Fremantle. A great vibe - an old fashioned pub with a good selection of beers on tap. The Sunday session has The Zydecats playing for free, featuring Lucky Oceans on slide guitar. He is a virtuoso and a Grammy award winner prior to coming to Australia 20 years ago.

It has a big grassed area out the back and is a favourite for families as the kids run around and kick footies while the parents have a drink and watch them. Truly great fish and chips though. :thumbsu:

Schism

Hostis Humani Generis
Aug 21, 2007
Yasmin Lee's house
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea
Fishing Boat Harbour in Fremantle has Ciccerello's, Joe's Fish Shack and Kailiss Brothers. All very good fish and chips and a beautiful spot.

My favourite place for fish and chips is Clancy's pub in Fremantle. A great vibe - an old fashioned pub with a good selection of beers on tap. The Sunday session has The Zydecats playing for free, featuring Lucky Oceans on slide guitar. He is a virtuoso and a Grammy award winner prior to coming to Australia 20 years ago.

It has a big grassed area out the back and is a favourite for families as the kids run around and kick footies while the parents have a drink and watch them. Truly great fish and chips though. :thumbsu:

Cheers for that. I'll be living in the CBD so shouldn't be a problem getting around. I lived over there for a while when i was a teenager but that is a long time ago and i can't remember the layout much. I lived @ North Beach

creamygoodness

All Australian
Sep 23, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Here's a few of my faves on youtube...

[YOUTUBE]z0VW1eNR2DU[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]P_tAU3GM9XI[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]QATIHWbN-sM[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]8j_TDoOPnIA[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]__OSyznVDOY[/YOUTUBE]

If anyone knows of some good, exciting, slightly different, recent jazz, I'd love to know about it. I liked the tunes by contemporary noise quintet Zarko posted. I also like Battles, they have a strong jazz influence.

nicky

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 13, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Crystal palace, socceroos
You'll never know how close to the mark you were with that sentence

still, lies. 4 jazz clubs in walking distance. where? We talking pure jazz clubs, not rnb/jazz/hip hop/funk/whatever?

lol you are such a w***er, it's hilarious.

I live in the inner suburbs of melbourne and there are jazz nights within walking distance to where i live.

You live in radelaide and are about to move to perth. Please don't pretend you know the inner goings on of melbourne. It's pathetic.

Schism

Hostis Humani Generis
Aug 21, 2007
Yasmin Lee's house
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea
lol you are such a w***er, it's hilarious.

I live in the inner suburbs of melbourne and there are jazz nights within walking distance to where i live.

You live in radelaide and are about to move to perth. Please don't pretend you know the inner goings on of melbourne. It's pathetic.

oooooh the inner suburbs of melbourne, so really, reading through your bullshit, you live in ballarat

JimDocker

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2007
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Has anybody listened to Esperanza Spalding?

She won best new artist at the Grammys and is the first jazz artist to do so.

Very talented. Had not heard of her until this morning when I read an article on The Huffington Post about how Justin Bieber fans are so upset about him not winning it :)

I have not put a youtube link up in ages and may well have cocked it up !!!!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15M62OtLrBQ[/YOUTUBE]

nicky

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 13, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Crystal palace, socceroos
Has anybody listened to Esperanza Spalding?

She won best new artist at the Grammys and is the first jazz artist to do so.

Very talented. Had not heard of her until this morning when I read an article on The Huffington Post about how Justin Bieber fans are so upset about him not winning it :)

I have not put a youtube link up in ages and may well have cocked it up !!!!

and you did

[YOUTUBE]15M62OtLrBQ[/YOUTUBE]

JimDocker

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2007
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Went to Beck's Music Box last night to see Jack DeJohnette and his quintet play. Astounding virtuosity from all players.

They moved effortlessly between free form jazz, African Rythms, be bop and swing. Featured an electric bass player who also vocalised (not quite singing, yet not scatting), a guitarist who played a double neck guitar, a trumpeter who also played conch shells and a sax player who played alto and soprano.

At one stage, DeJohnette played a gorgeous ballad on melodica in a trio setting with bass and guitar.

Simply amazing performance from a genuine legend.

desTROY

All Australian
Oct 31, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

Is this a joke... All rely on tourists, therefore are overpriced and serve average fish and chips. Sorry for going off topic.

JimDocker

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2007
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Is this a joke... All rely on tourists, therefore are overpriced and serve average fish and chips. Sorry for going off topic.

WTF???? I can only imagine that was from a thread where a tourist had asked about places to visit in Perth/Fremantle? Most tourists to Fremantle go to Fishing Boat Harbour !

Off topic ok!

flight23

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 7, 2007
Bondi
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Da Bulls
hey guys

not really a big time jazz dude, but looking to open up my ears and mind

looking for some help, no idea what i like, but big fan of these two, im thinking they are pretty familiar and commercial to the old skool heads in here, but hey it’s a start, so anyone who can help with other picks similar to these would be appreciated

[YOUTUBE]_ak9FKc1JEc[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]DjkjF9H-l8I[/YOUTUBE]

JimDocker

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2007
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
If you like Vince Jones ( I think he is brilliant), then you will probably like Chet Baker. Try to buy an album that has his vocals as well as his trumpet playing. Very cool.

If you like the second one, try The Branford Marsalis quintet. Any album.

If I had to list some albums to get a person interested in jazz.

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Lee Morgan - The Sidewinder
Stanley Turrentine - The Spoiler
Cannonball Adderley - Somethin Else
Sonny Rollins - Saxaphone Colossuss

Back