The Jazz bf thread

Remove this Banner Ad

[YOUTUBE]6tBJa8Ew6fQ[/YOUTUBE]
A classic album by a classic lineup.

I know Miles is on the picture but this is Clifford Brown on the trumpet and Max Roach on drums.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Another Roach I idolise.:D

The most musical jazz drummer in history.
Well imo.

Brown sadly died in a car crash within 2 years of this album's release.

Not a bad track on this album.

A desert island jazz record.

[YOUTUBE]6tBJa8Ew6fQ[/YOUTUBE]
A classic album by a classic lineup.

I know Miles is on the picture but this is Clifford Brown on the trumpet and Max Roach on drums.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Another Roach I idolise.:D

The most musical jazz drummer in history.
Well imo.

Brown sadly died in a car crash within 2 years of this album's release.

Not a bad track on this album.

A desert island jazz record.

Magnificent album :thumbsu:

Just a heads up for Miles Davis fans (and there should be many of you!),

Red Eye Records in Sydney have available what looks like a fair portion of Miles Davis extensive back catalogue for $9.98 an album which is incredible value. Seeing Bitches Brew available at that price after I paid $40 nearly 15 years ago hurts.

http://www.redeye.com.au/answer.asp?stDate=newRel

No need to thank me now, thank me when you have had a listen.

For those that like it s l o w...

[YOUTUBE]znJGiSqfbas[/YOUTUBE]

great stuff and even better when it's raining.

Great song. I thought I'd pop into this thread and listen to a bit of Jazz for a change. :)

The Necks are brutal... did you see them a few weeks ago at the Forum? They played with Swans. I missed it, because I'm an idiot, but it would have been amazing...

I went to see Sarah Blasko last week.

Surprisingly, The Necks were the support act. I loved their set. 45 minutes of building, shifting, driving aural magnificence but the crowd did not share my enthusiasm. There was plenty of calling out and a huge cheer when they finished. Lloyd Swanton obviously has a sense of humour as he let everyone know they were signing autographs out the back.

During Sarah Blasko's set, she said that she was honoured to have The Necks on stage opening for her. Somebody in the crowd shouted out, "They're s**t" and she put them in their place.

"I could not disagree with you anymore than I do. They are brilliant and inspiring and incredible artists. You are wrong and you are very rude".

I went to see Sarah Blasko last week.

Surprisingly, The Necks were the support act. I loved their set. 45 minutes of building, shifting, driving aural magnificence but the crowd did not share my enthusiasm. There was plenty of calling out and a huge cheer when they finished. Lloyd Swanton obviously has a sense of humour as he let everyone know they were signing autographs out the back.

During Sarah Blasko's set, she said that she was honoured to have The Necks on stage opening for her. Somebody in the crowd shouted out, "They're s**t" and she put them in their place.

"I could not disagree with you anymore than I do. They are brilliant and inspiring and incredible artists. You are wrong and you are very rude".
That's putting them in their place? Well * me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Much more in to jazz for the harmonies than the frentic solos and time signature wanking.

Here's my favourite pianist playing my favourite composer, with a handy little lecture to introduce it.

Oscar Peterson is the biggest ******* pimp. What a legend.

Where's the double bass Jmoore ;)

I recommend "Hollywood and newport 57 to 58" by "Jimmy and Giuffre 3" (especially the song "pony express") :)

Where's the double bass Jmoore ;)

Under his left hand.

The ultimate jazz instrument is the piano, as it can do it all well. The rest is ornamentation.

Hierarchy of jazz instruments...

Piano
Trumpet (probably only because of Louis & Miles, but it is enough)
Drums
Saxophone (Alto + Tenor)
Bass
Trombone
Other woodwinds
Saxophone (Baritone)
Saxophone (Soprano)
Guitar (and I say that as a guitarist - it either apes the piano or saxophone. Completely unessential but can be nice for tone).
Vibraphone (seriously, get ****ed)

Order that I want to hear solos:

Trumpet
Piano
Saxophone (Baritone)
Other Saxophones
Trombone
Other woodwinds
Guitar
*daylight*
Bass
*daylight*