The Jazz bf thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Under his left hand.

The ultimate jazz instrument is the piano, as it can do it all well. The rest is ornamentation.

Hierarchy of jazz instruments...

Piano
Trumpet (probably only because of Louis & Miles, but it is enough)
Drums
Saxophone (Alto + Tenor)
Bass
Trombone
Other woodwinds
Saxophone (Baritone)
Saxophone (Soprano)
Guitar (and I say that as a guitarist - it either apes the piano or saxophone. Completely unessential but can be nice for tone).
Vibraphone (seriously, get screwed)

Order that I want to hear solos:

Trumpet
Piano
Saxophone (Baritone)
Other Saxophones
Trombone
Other woodwinds
Guitar
*daylight*
Bass
*daylight*
Drums
*daylight*
Vibraphone

Wow !!

I recently bought Swinging into the 21st which is a box set of 11 albums by Wynton Marsalis. I also bought a box set of Louis Armstrong with the Hot 5s and 7s. I have dozens of albums by Miles Davis, Lee Morgan, Freddie Hubbard, Dizzie Gillespie.... so I share the love of trumpet.

I cannot begin to think that there is a hierarchy of instruments as rigid as yours though. I imagine a it was a little tongue in cheek ?

Jazz is such an amazingly broad church that there is a place for all of these instruments.

Gerry Mulligan's playing of the baritone sax is a thing of beauty.
Coltrane's playing of the soprano sax on My Favourite Things ????? Magnificent.
Guitar ? Kenny Burrell's playing on everything is magical, but on Chet Baker's You're Mine, You. It is a thing of rare beauty.

Jazz would not be jazz without the musicians being so broadminded.

Yeah don't mind a little bit of Eleanor.

I realise my list had one glaring admission, probably because it hasn't really featured in this thread: the voice.

How good is a good jazz song?

Yeah don't mind a little bit of Eleanor.

I realise my list had one glaring admission, probably because it hasn't really featured in this thread: the voice.

How good is a good jazz song?

Yep.

Frank sinatra - Songs for Swinging Lovers is my favourite album of all time. Ever, the best thing ever recorded.

Billie Holiday, Chet Baker, Ella Fitzgerald, Nina Simone.... great stuff.

Vince Jones. Such an underrated talent and a wonderful exponent of the jazz genre

Met him a number of times in the 90's whilst living in Melbourne Great personalty and talent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It Don't Mean A Thing If It Ain't Got Six Strings:

Wes Montgomery, Grant Green, Charlie Christian, Bill Frisell, Kenny Burrell, Joe Pass, Barney Kessel, George Benson, Bucky Pizzarelli, John Scofield, Jim Hall, Larry Coryell... might as well mention Jaco Pastorius just for the hell of it- that guy could play Bach on the string from a wet tea bag.

Going to see Wynton Marsalis' Swing Symphony with Jazz at Lincoln Centre Orchestra and the West Australian Symphony Orchestra.

The first half will be a historical look at jazz through the ages with the second half being Marsalis' own Symphony No 3 Swing Symphony.

The last time he was here was one of the great concerts that I have ever seen, so pretty excited about tonight.

Going to see Wynton Marsalis' Swing Symphony with Jazz at Lincoln Centre Orchestra and the West Australian Symphony Orchestra.

The first half will be a historical look at jazz through the ages with the second half being Marsalis' own Symphony No 3 Swing Symphony.

The last time he was here was one of the great concerts that I have ever seen, so pretty excited about tonight.

Me too, Jim! Might see you there. If your avatar is actually you I'll keep a look out. Me- not so much. I don't really look like a cartoon dog.

Saw Branford Marsalis a few years ago, another Festival gig. I think there are others in the Marsalis tribe as well, so I might try and collect the whole set!

Saw Count Basie Orchestra last year, they were terrific. It was on the same day B.B King passed away, and they paid a fine tribute to the King.

Enjoy the show!

Me too, Jim! Might see you there. If your avatar is actually you I'll keep a look out. Me- not so much. I don't really look like a cartoon dog.

Saw Branford Marsalis a few years ago, another Festival gig. I think there are others in the Marsalis tribe as well, so I might try and collect the whole set!

Saw Count Basie Orchestra last year, they were terrific. It was on the same day B.B King passed away, and they paid a fine tribute to the King.

Enjoy the show!

The pic is me, but no mo or Hawaiian shirt tonight. The hair is mostly grey now, too !

I have seen Branford a couple of times. He is amazing too.

Their granddad was Ellis Marsalis Snr, the pianist. Their dad was Ellis junior, the pianist. Their brother Delfeayo is a trombone player. Their brother Jason is a drummer. Incredible legacy from one family.

Hate putting full albums up but this record is rare as hen's teeth,I do own a copy but a bit worse for wear unfortunately but a classic fusion/jazz /experimental record by some of Australia's (Hirschfelder,Jones,Venier) and New Zealand's (McLaughlin) greatest musicians.

A shame this record has not been remastered on cd.

Don Burrows,fantastic Sydney multi instrumentalist plays flute on Sunshower as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back