Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unorth

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Pulled a weed from my gutter this morning. This can only mean one thing.

The Gardner is going to weed out the lions.

Gardywatch

After the last scratch match:

Daniel Giansiracusa on Ryan Gardner…
“I thought Gardy was really solid. He’s got the ability to read the ball coming in and usually in these games it’s in a bit more space. He was really assertive with his mindset and was willing to come off his opponent and support for his teammates. That’s his second game back now from a minor calf injury.”

He's 197cm and 93kg, only recently turned 23 meaning he's about the same ages as English and Schache (and more than year older than Young). So does that mean there is still some improvement there? I'd hope that's the case.

Another thing that gives me some faint hope is that we actually have a spine (of sorts) even without him - Keath-Cordy-Macrae-Naughton-Bruce. So unlike the St Kilda game, he's not one of the indispensable tall players in the structure. Also, his best game (statistically at least) was against Collingwood in Rd 1 when we had Cordy, Keath, Naughton, Bruce, Gardner AND Young.

Here are his career stats (from AFL Tables). We can talk about limited disposals and clangers but there are plenty of other culprits in those category. For me, as a key defender (or forward) the low number of tackles and the zero CMs are a concern (but 1%ers are good!):

1596856328130.png

Holding my breath and hoping he can surprise us. Our expectations couldn't be much lower, so perhaps he will!

Optimistic Dog

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Gardywatch

“I thought Gardy was really solid. He’s got the ability to read the ball coming in and usually in these games it’s in a bit more space. He was really assertive with his mindset and was willing to come off his opponent and support for his teammates. That’s his second game back now from a minor calf injury.”

He's 197cm and 93kg, only recently turned 23 meaning he's about the same ages as English and Schache (and more than year older than Young). So does that mean there is still some improvement there? I'd hope that's the case.

Another thing that gives me some faint hope is that we actually have a spine (of sorts) even without him - Keath-Cordy-Macrae-Naughton-Bruce. So unlike the St Kilda game, he's not one of the indispensable tall players in the structure. Also, his best game (statistically at least) was against Collingwood in Rd 1 when we had Cordy, Keath, Naughton, Bruce, Gardner AND Young.

Here are his career stats (from AFL Tables). We can talk about limited disposals and clangers but there are plenty of other culprits in those category. For me, as a key defender (or forward) the low number of tackles and the zero CMs are a concern (but 1%ers are good!):

View attachment 930403

Holding my breath and hoping he can surprise us. Our expectations couldn't be much lower, so perhaps he will!

I think after your appraisal of Gardner you need another username maybe optimistic dog2. :)

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Gardywatch

View attachment 930403

Technically his G and IF should both be 0.5 not 1 , but i know it is a small technicality.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jeff 1975

Club Legend
Mar 29, 2018
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Bruce and Naughton could run apart or block for each other
Tag on Lachie Neale, Richards may-be
Looking forward to see if our over marking improves
Go Dogs

Mojorisin

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Bruce and Naughton could run apart or block for each other
Tag on Lachie Neale, Richards may-be
Looking forward to see if our over marking improves
Go Dogs
If we don't tag neale he will have a field day. Hopefully play McLean or libba on him

CarnTheScray

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2019
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Gardywatch

View attachment 930403

23 should be the age you give up if they aren't showing anything, not the age you persist.

At about the 5 minute mark of the first quarter you'll turn blue and pass out.
I have an ambulance on standby. :ambulance:

Next Waiting

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 19, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Gardywatch

View attachment 930403

I need to broaden my reading. From some other thread (insert link thingy here)

What if right...what if Gardner played a blinder today. Could it happen? Is there anything in his make up to suggest that it's in him? And what's a pass mark for Gardner? How would we/ could we define a pass mark for Gardner? Could it/should it be allowing say naughts and English enuff rest time to win us the game.

What's the turn over to goal ratio limit. Would we be Ok with 2 turnovers that lead to goals for Brissy if we get up by a point and naughts and timmeh kick a goal coz Gardner chopped them out. So many questions, so many variables, so little time and nearly out of beer...

I need to broaden my reading. From some other thread (insert link thingy here)

What if right...what if Gardner played a blinder today. Could it happen? Is there anything in his make up to suggest that it's in him? And what's a pass mark for Gardner? How would we/ could we define a pass mark for Gardner? Could it/should it be allowing say naughts and English enuff rest time to win us the game.

What's the turn over to goal ratio limit. Would we be Ok with 2 turnovers that lead to goals for Brissy if we get up by a point and naughts and timmeh kick a goal coz Gardner chopped them out. So many questions, so many variables, so little time and nearly out of beer...
All very good questions.

But you're asking too much of us to set the benchmark before the game. We do hindsight a whole lot better. Ask me at 11pm.

Meanwhile your immediate plight reminds me of something else...

This has got to be the lucky beer of the week. Any idea where I can get some?

1596867184606.png

Next Waiting

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 19, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
All very good questions.

But you're asking too much of us to set the benchmark before the game. We do hindsight a whole lot better. Ask me at 11pm.

Meanwhile your immediate plight reminds me of something else...

This has got to be the lucky beer of the week. Any idea where I can get some?

View attachment 930556
Why yes, yes I do. There is an abundance in the urinary tracts of Mustela nivalis everywhere :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back