Winky

Club Legend
Jan 7, 2009
Sunshine coast
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
What is an even bigger issue is how goons in chairs and some with huge telephoto lenses are allowed inside the fence. The AFL are clearly providing an unsafe work place and need to be held accountable.. A competent lawyer would have a field day with McGoverns suspension in a civil court as opposed to a AFL kangaroo court.
The tribunal is not a court of law and it's a waste of money having them on either side in these hearings. It should be forbidden. The law simply does not apply and it becomes a matter of opinion tempered with any bias the tribunal members may have...as we all do.

Think we need to park the Vic bias calls when it comes to tribunal decisions. Every clubs supporters think they’re hard done by but in reality the decisions are skewed by an over emphasis on outcome over action rather than any inherent bias

Naitanui, Jetta, Rioli, Vardy and now Gov have all copped a week because in each instance the player was concussed per the medical report from an action that isn’t unusual or inherently dirty like a punch. Had the player not been concussed they would have been fined at worst

Bellchambers gets off because Shuey wasn’t injured. Same with Walters on Lockhart and even the Fyfe and Ablett hits

David Grace was up against as soon as the medical report mentioned concussion as I don’t think there’s much scope to challenge those regardless of how bullshit they might be. So they tried to argue it was a football action and injury resulted from the chair that Gov couldn’t have reasonably taken into account

It was a reasonable path but expecting the AFL to find something they put there was responsible for the injury was optimistic

There’s a link to a SEN interview with Simpson in the biased media thread and he’s basically said he’s got his head around players getting weeks if there’s an injury

Winky

Club Legend
Jan 7, 2009
Sunshine coast
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
Get Miguel Sanchez to represent us next time.

I too am of the opinion David Grace QC sucks.

Every time i listen to his bewildering arguments trying to get our players off i always scratch my head as he inevitably fails.
Yeah have to agree. While I don't think any lawyer should be involved in these proceedings, It just beggars belief that the previous instances shown on these pages weren't used in addition to the other arguments. Wonder what would have happened if the bump/shove was in midfield and it resulted in injury to another player. Given that the charges seem to be on the result rather than the action, it could still result in a suspension. The AFL administration is too interested in political correctness rather than simply doing the job they are paid to do

The wily weagle

Premiership Player
Oct 16, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
lol
So let's summarise the tribunal of 2019.

Allowed:
Headbutts (Walters)
Elbows (GAblett x2)
Stomping (Redman)
Deliberate Hip & shoulder to head (Bellchambers)
Punching behind play (Dangerfield x2)

Not allowed:
Playing for West Coast
Cheering loudly

Also include Naughtons off the ball gut punch of Schofield that didn't get a suspension....... the exact thing the AFL swore they were cracking down on

The Dodger

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I think the thing I find most perplexing (even more than the Bellchambers fine for something that within in a degree would be multiple games) is still the Mumford hit on Murphy. Drops his knees into a bloke on all fours after he gets rid of the ball. Has broken ribs and goes to hospital...all good nothing to see there.

frenchconnection

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
Wembley downs
AFL Club
West Coast
Get Miguel Sanchez to represent us next time.

I too am of the opinion David Grace QC sucks.

Every time i listen to his bewildering arguments trying to get our players off i always scratch my head as he inevitably fails.
The trouble is he's dealing with AFL law and not Australian law so wouldn't matter who the QC is, the outcome would be the same as the AFL are a law unto themselves!

I don't have an issue with Guv getting suspended on the proviso there's some consistency - but unfortunately this is not the case which is what supporters including me get riled up about😡!!

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Would Nic be ok if the tackle is on Sandilands or Mumford? It would mean that they pass the Christian size and weight test.
As long as the player doesn’t get an incriminating medical report.

It’s clearly not a system for punishing poor behaviour anymore, it’s about attributing blame for directly or indirectly causing varying degrees of injury.

Except in Mumford’s case.

Edit: I also think McGovern was stupid/poor behaviour anyway. Didn’t need to do it and it was the second time in the game he had given away a needless free kick for pushing.

It sucks given the inconsistent rulings with others doing the same thing but not getting suspended. But I’m more annoyed about normal tackles leading to questionable concussions like Naitanui/Jetta

Players getting injured in a full contact sport.

More at 11.

How long is it until someone is suspended for knocking someone out with a knee in a marking contest? Rough Conduct is basically the AFL's get out of jail free card for punishing players for incidents that upset the soccer mum crowd.

Astro7

Official Halftime Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Gov crossed the line in more ways than one...but good to see that grit, taking it to the limits one more time!
He looked a bit vindictive as he pushed, might've been getting a roughed up day (again?).

Last edited:

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Rough Conduct is basically the AFL's get out of jail free card for punishing players for incidents that upset the soccer mum crowd.
Pretty much - but also the litigators. Reckon the AFL's lawyers/insurance office are s**t scared about being sued en masse for post-career concussion problems, and that's what's largely directing the MRO

The Dodger

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
As long as the player doesn’t get an incriminating medical report.

It’s clearly not a system for punishing poor behaviour anymore, it’s about attributing blame for directly or indirectly causing varying degrees of injury.

Except in Mumford’s case.

Edit: I also think McGovern was stupid/poor behaviour anyway. Didn’t need to do it and it was the second time in the game he had given away a needless free kick for pushing.

It sucks given the inconsistent rulings with others doing the same thing but not getting suspended. But I’m more annoyed about normal tackles leading to questionable concussions like Naitanui/Jetta

Yeah agree I with it being a silly thing to do. But there are clear comparisons that are fines. It seems that it is only Essendon being cautious as he had to fly that they wanted him to get checked that its taken as "had to go to hospital" etc.
Most if not all of our uncertain grey suspensions seem to attract an automatic week whereas others where you think thats gotta be a week seem to be a fine or nothing to answer for each week ie the Mumford hit. Could just be bad luck.

I also didn't mind Vardy missing but that bump was perfect he laid on the Sydney bloke. The NN tackle was ridiculous with "both arms pinned". We just seem to jump straight to thats a week.

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah agree I with it being a silly thing to do. But there are clear comparisons that are fines. It seems that it is only Essendon being cautious as he had to fly that they wanted him to get checked that its taken as "had to go to hospital" etc.
Most if not all of our uncertain grey suspensions seem to attract an automatic week whereas others where you think thats gotta be a week seem to be a fine or nothing to answer for each week ie the Mumford hit. Could just be bad luck.

I also didn't mind Vardy missing but that bump was perfect he laid on the Sydney bloke. The NN tackle was ridiculous with "both arms pinned". We just seem to jump straight to thats a week.
Yeah the inconsistency of it sucks. Lots of grey area and you can’t help but feel the amount of grey leaves it open for various biases to creep in.

Winky

Club Legend
Jan 7, 2009
Sunshine coast
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
Yeah the inconsistency of it sucks. Lots of grey area and you can’t help but feel the amount of grey leaves it open for various biases to creep in.
One that nobody brought up was the injury to DeBoer. From memory he was laying an almost front on tackle to Cunnington who grabbed his jumper I think and pulled him over his shoulder and into the turf. Pretty significant injury and not even looked at or commented on by anybody. Cunnington has form as well. If the tackler causes someone’s head to hit they are in trouble.

wc_eagles_since86

Team Captain
Apr 25, 2019
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boston Bruins, Liverpool
One thing I learnt from participating in the other conversation "mcgovern reported' is how much hate there is for the eagles in general.
According to them:
* we're drug takers
* animals
* in favour of violence
* the most favoured team in the AFL
* fluke GF winners
* terrible fans, terrible being a substitution for other words
* mcgovern is now the antichrist
* conspiracy theorists without any evidence
* every action we do is with malice and suspendable

I also learnt which fans from which clubs have a special level of hate for us. As a newbie here, it was a fun learning experience. It's much more civil here for obvious reasons.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Think we need to park the Vic bias calls when it comes to tribunal decisions. Every clubs supporters think they’re hard done by but in reality the decisions are skewed by an over emphasis on outcome over action rather than any inherent bias

Naitanui, Jetta, Rioli, Vardy and now Gov have all copped a week because in each instance the player was concussed per the medical report from an action that isn’t unusual or inherently dirty like a punch. Had the player not been concussed they would have been fined at worst

Bellchambers gets off because Shuey wasn’t injured. Same with Walters on Lockhart and even the Fyfe and Ablett hits

David Grace was up against as soon as the medical report mentioned concussion as I don’t think there’s much scope to challenge those regardless of how ******** they might be. So they tried to argue it was a football action and injury resulted from the chair that Gov couldn’t have reasonably taken into account

It was a reasonable path but expecting the AFL to find something they put there was responsible for the injury was optimistic

There’s a link to a SEN interview with Simpson in the biased media thread and he’s basically said he’s got his head around players getting weeks if there’s an injury

Keys.

These type of reasonable posts are not helpfull.

We need to channel our negative energy somewhere.........we choose Victorian bias.;):cool:

Back