Current Trial The Jodi Arias Trial - Jury Hung on Death Penalty

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 23, 2007
around about
AFL Club
Sydney
This case is all over the US media. It of course helps the defendant is a pretty white female along with some salacious details.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/28/jodi-arias-murder-trial-r_n_2569452.html?utm_hp_ref=crime

For those not familiar Jodi Arias is accused of first degree murder in Arazona. A capital punishment offence. Alleged to have murdered her former boyfriend in a a jealous rage in Arazona, slitting his throat, stabbing him multiple times in the torso and shooting him. Than she left the house and drove out of the state to hang out with her new boyfriend.

In her police interview her story changed from not been on the scene that day, to having been on but left, there were intruders robbing the house to self defense after he got angry about her dropping a camera. The story's changing coincided with evidence of her in photographs and timing suggesting the alleged intruders did not have time to inflict the wounds.

In order to prove pre meditation the prosecution have shown the bullet wound to match a style of gun reported stolen from her grandparents home in California while she was staying with them.

Jodi denies using her grandparents gun and no weapons used have been located.

interestingly however the huff post opinion piece above suggests the jurors mid case questions after the prosecution suggest there is an element of doubt with the jurors, some hope for Jodi perhaps that the lethel injection wont be used and a downgrade charge could even see her walk out of prison one day.

Anyone convinced either way of her guilt or innocence of the charge she's defending?

Skipped straight to the comments section in that article and ended up searching for the striped pants photo but couldn't work out what I was looking at.

She's admitted to killing him, but is claiming self defense. Got Buckleys of the jury believing that after the amount of lies she's already told. Pretty eerie seeing pics of him in the shower, followed by him laying in the shower covered in blood dead. I reckon she had full intent on killing him, was ridiculously jealous.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...al-sexcapades_n_2626842.html?utm_hp_ref=crime

Defense are focusing heavily on the Sexual past between these 2, trying to show Jodi as a reluctant partner in the deceased sexual liaisons, not raped but a girl possibly in love going along with his wishes.

The self defense line is definitely coming,.. But my god they are providing the jury with a lot of foreplay first.. and that's only part metaphor.

And the game of the character assassination of the victim begins.

With Arias in the dock there have been comments about waking up to have Alexander already having sex with her

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/11/jodi-arias-sleepy-sex_n_2664038.html?utm_hp_ref=crime

and another time found him masturbating to a child's image.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...is-alexander-masturbating-boys_n_2665693.html

That was apparently controversial evidence and some were surprised the judge allowed it to be aired. the prosecution will ride over the fact that instead of reporting either incident to police or at the least scarpering from the relationship was a strong indicator that she was lying.

In fact given the multiple stories to the police any chance the prosecution get to imply that Arias is lying to them could be good for the prosecution when often to overplay that hand can be problematic.

For the defense to solidify what she's saying you think the defense would like to have a 2nd person who could testify something similar to either alleged incidences. Otherwise the defense is only mitigating to ensure the death penalty is not passed.

Prosecutor starting to hurt the defense in her cross examination as predicted by Call Me Cake

Martinez noted the letter was 18 pages long. In it, Arias told Alexander's family that he was killed by unknown male and female intruders.
"So you lied to them, didn't you?" Martinez asked.
"Yes," Arias replied.
ouch
Surprised Arias team did not try to object just to try to lessen the impact of a direct question where she would have to admit being a liar and given some space between question and answer

During cross-examination, Arias faced Maricopa County Prosecutor Juan Martinez's questions about her activities following her July 2008 arrest for Alexander's murder. During this line of questioning, Arias claimed God was the only witness to what went through her mind at the time.
"God's not here. We can't subpoena him," Martinez replied.

At it again and he's subtly shifting slightly the burden of proof back on Jodi too with that line.

LOL that she says she killed him in self defense. slashing and stabbing someone 27 times, then slitting their throat, and then, finally, shooting them in the head (Stealing your grandparents gun from California) is not self defense. Death penalty is the only option. Her gender should not come into the equation. That is an horrendous crime that should be punished with the death penalty.

Must say im somewhat intrigued by the Arazona process of allowing jurors questions. I've heard of the odd request through a judge but this is a grilling from the jury of up to 100 questions. I know Colarado and Indiani do as well but it's rare for me to watch this in action. Im not sure of it's merits but still it's interesting and if the huff post is in tune with the mood of the jury with their small sample of questions published we are heading for a guilty verdict.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...e-believe-you_n_2833118.html?utm_hp_ref=crime

Two key pieces for full pre mediation are in full swing now. The earlier mentioned handgun that was stolen from her parents and weather a gas can was returned to Walmart or not along with two borrowed cans. The prosecution are claiming jodi drove from California to Arazona without filling up to avoid detection. But she says she too the can back but walmart have no record of the transaction of return.

If she usually traveled with gas cans this is a non event. However If Jodi usually traveled by paying for gs at stations en route, this is a big piece of evidence the defense really need to get a story sorted for.

Surprised it's dragged out this long, seems a pretty cut and dry case to me. She's already admitted to killing him, and if she thinks self defence is going to work then tell her she's dreaming.

Surprised it's dragged out this long, seems a pretty cut and dry case to me. She's already admitted to killing him, and if she thinks self defence is going to work then tell her she's dreaming.

I think it's dragging out because Martinez wants not only murder 1 but an aggravating factor added so the death penalty is the sentence. When the death penalty is passed there will be a number of appeals including a possible federal one. They want to ensure they leave no gate's open now on procedure or evidence as they could go through a very costly appeal process and if they lose one they would have wasted millions of dollars pushing for it.

I'm not sure Arias camp are truly pushing for self defense but trying to make it appear a last minute surge of anger after provocation, going for murder 2. Martinez is just not letting his grip slip though, they cant seem to get a foot in the door. She's headed for murder 1 but the aggravating factor for the lethal injection is going to be harder to prove.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

She's guilty as all get out. She admits to doing it. The prosecution needs to focus more on her actions after the fact. They clearly show she had a guilty state of mind and this wasn't a self defense case. I would be surprised though if she ever gets the needle even if she's sentenced to.

In her "defense" the amount of stab wounds isn't always indicative of viciousness, premeditation or psychosis. Unless a person is proficient with a knife it can take 20 or more jabs. I think the layman would be surprised at how much punishment the human body can take and how much blood can be lost and there'll still be a standing, fighting person. In a lot of homicide cases (justified or not) where there are a number of stab wounds in the double digits, you'll find at reading the autopsy that only one or two of the wounds are actually fatal. Someone who really knows how to use a knife only needs one or two and will often use three or four - Throat, base of skull, center abdomen (for diaphram and decending aorta) and inside of the thigh. Amatueurs just stab away and most of the wounds are superficial and deflected by bone.

So it's not like the killer stabs the guy, who goes down and the killer then just keeps wailing away at corpse. It's generally a struggle and the amateur killer is surprised the victim is putting up such a show, so they keep stabbing until the victim stops moving. And that can be 20-30 stab wounds easily. - Just two cents. And yeah, she's guilty as hell.

What a sensational little trial. The chief suspect has just spent eighteen (18) days in the witness box at her murder trial. 18 days! Arizona also allows the jurors to ask written questions. 220 submitted to her to answer.
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...itness-stand-could-save-her-life-experts?lite

No wonder her story changed from she didnt do it to some masked gunmen did it to well I did it but it was self defence.

Must say, a so called expert on domestic violance sat in the box today, all day, admitted to the court she was getting 300 an hour an spoke motherhood statements about domestic violence. The defense have not produced a single corroborating piece of evidence that Alexander was violent so whats she doing there.

Must say, a so called expert on domestic violance sat in the box today, all day, admitted to the court she was getting 300 an hour an spoke motherhood statements about domestic violence. The defense have not produced a single corroborating piece of evidence that Alexander was violent so whats she doing there.

And now she has. For the first time in the trial the defense team had a good day. Producing emails from the deceased friends warning Arias he is abusive and manipulating. It's a long way from regaining their lost ground but the Arias and the psychologist struggled in the box, this woman has at least provided some level of corroboration though she hasn't been cross examined yet.

In the past few days of the trial Martinez has been struggling with an expert witness for the defence about Jodi been abused. He got sucked into a two debate focusing on her on her credentials, her self promotion and a lecture she gave about Snow White been a battered woman.

Now whatever you think of Arias guilt you can see he did not have a good couple of days and the witness, clearly a veteran of their court scene actually was winding him up, things like don’t talk to me that way, Are you angry at me Mr Martinez, I’m not answering that as it’s irrelevant.

Martinez didn’t handle it and seemed to want score points over her, at one point asking if she wanted to spar with him. She knew how to push his buttons and that’s what she made her testimony about.

It must also be said the judge let her get away with this until today when she pulled her back into line. This should have started much earlier than the 3rd day of cross examination.

Martinez is trying to imply she is biased in the females case every time but he cant quite say it and clearly doesn’t have the proof, I’d also say the judge has told him not say it directly.

However today he did what he should have done yesterday. Got her to answer that there was no evidence or discussion about Alexander having hit her, forced her to stay or manipulated her into visiting him or for sexual favours. At that point he should have focused that her charts and self invented scale's didn’t focus on any of those things… And finished it there than tried to point out if she was answering the jurors questions differently to how she answered his.

But he’s still going with her and the longer he’s asking her questions after taking back some of the initiative on cross could be an error.

Now this is disgusting.

Whatever side or believe, online attacks on witnesses in trials should not happen, justice needs to be done and this is real lynch mob behavior.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...ed-jodi-arias_n_3064621.html?utm_hp_ref=crime

An expert defense witness has been harried online and taken to hospital. People chose to leave messages on her phone, on her email and twitter and review her book badly simply because she gave witness testimony on behalf of the defense.

If people want full and access to trials they'll need to be able to allow the pro's to do their jobs and leave the witnesses to give their testimony and let the jury decide the verdict, not have people too scared to deliver evidence.

What do you think Jodi Arias will get? Some argue life is a much more severe punishment as the death penalty is seen as an easy way out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back