Current Trial The Jodi Arias Trial - Jury Hung on Death Penalty

Apr 23, 2007
around about
AFL Club
Sydney
Jury finds convicted murderer Jodi Arias eligible for death penalty.

http://m.heraldsun.com.au/news/law-...or-death-penalty/story-fni0ffnk-1226644302651

But when it comes to passing sentence they became hung and have had a sentencing mistrial declared

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/05/23/judge-declares-mistrial-in-penalty-phase-jodi-arias-trial/

From here they begin the sentencing phase and empanel a new jury. Probably taking several months to finalise unless the prosecution take it off the table and leave the judge to pass 25-life.

Though it’s has been noted the prosecutor is very strongly pushing for it and implied in the media that Travis Alexander’s want it applied.

Eastdog

Club Legend
Sep 24, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Manchester United
But when it comes to passing sentence they became hung and have had a sentencing mistrial declared

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/05/23/judge-declares-mistrial-in-penalty-phase-jodi-arias-trial/

From here they begin the sentencing phase and empanel a new jury. Probably taking several months to finalise unless the prosecution take it off the table and leave the judge to pass 25-life.

Though it’s has been noted the prosecutor is very strongly pushing for it and implied in the media that Travis Alexander’s want it applied.

I'm predicting that Jodi Arias will end up getting life. Do you see it going that away.

Apr 23, 2007
around about
AFL Club
Sydney
Saw the 48 hours episode on her
The interviews did seem to make it a case of emotional abuse, which I'm surprised wasn't really pushed in the case

It was pushed very strongly in the case by the defense with multiple expert witnesses to demonstrate it to the jury. The prosecution presented their own expert witnesses to counter it. It's clear the jury didn't buy it as a defense.

For the sake of strengthening the discussion on this issue, what forms of abuse did she suffer?

Apr 17, 2006
???
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins(NFL)
It was pushed very strongly in the case by the defense with multiple expert witnesses to demonstrate it to the jury. The prosecution presented their own expert witnesses to counter it. It's clear the jury didn't buy it as a defense.

For the sake of strengthening the discussion on this issue, what forms of abuse did she suffer?
on the show, she indicated that it was emotional and verbal, but not physical

Apr 23, 2007
around about
AFL Club
Sydney
on the show, she indicated that it was emotional and verbal, but not physical

While Im not trying to be funny but in the court room no one believed a word she said. Same goes for much of America. All through the prosecution evidence she had been painted as a lyer, she lied and lied about where she was at the murder, how she told how the murder occurred, how than she did it again, where she went after the murder, lied about buying gas cans that where on her account with a transaction statement. She told media she felt uncomfortable like sex before marriage, but had a history of engaging in it and text messages showed at times she initiated it.

and the prosecution provided professional witnesses to show she was a pathological lyer along with clear statements where she told mistruths. They did this brilliantly and effectively.

Given a strong history of lying all through her life the defecne were unable to produce a single corroborative witness to side with Jodi on this, no ex girlfriends of Alexander to show he was abusive, no mutual friends, no friends of Jodi.

They produced two paid experts the first had been shown to have questionable ethics in accepting money and the 2nd who was in the box for three days with the prosecution, two good and the third she was torn apart and also found to have lied in the witness box about who she had represented at past trials. Given Jodi had successfully been shown to be a lyer it must have been a real s**t to have her paid defense witness join the club.

Than in their counter expert witnesses brought in a woman who demonstrated she had not been abused.

Not trying to go you mitchell and I'm glad this thread has a different voice to add ot the discussion but the statement that your surprised the trial didn't focus on this aspect is wrong. They spent about 3 weeks on it. The problem was the jury clearly didn't believe it. Not only they but a feminist author wrote about her that sometimes it needed to be acknowledged that occasionally women abuse men too and Arias fitted the stalker trait.

Having said that I notice you have a US team among your supported teams. Are you based in the US, as I am not and have watched this from afar only getting occasional opinions from relatives in Oakland.

Apr 23, 2007
around about
AFL Club
Sydney
Latest: Jodi Arias attorneys seek delay of second penalty phase

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/13/jodi-arias-trial-delay_n_3438439.html

Logical attempt at a delay. The longer they delay the media barrage of interest has to break leaving a jury less likely to be as strongly prejudiced against.

However Judge Sherry Stephens has not given the defense much joy in their motions to delay or remove evidence so far. They might get a short one but I doubt it will be long.

Eastdog

Club Legend
Sep 24, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Manchester United

Maddhew

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
A TV based movie called 'Jodi Arias: Dirty Little Secret' will be shown this weekend in the US. It follows the prosecutor's version of Travis Alexander's murder. It is to soon to be making a movie about this I feel.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2013/06/18/jodi-arias-movie-review/2436707/
I was in the US when the trial was on, people were driving across states to sit in a mock jury out the front of the court house. There is no such things as too soon in the states.

Apr 23, 2007
around about
AFL Club
Sydney
Jodi Arias files motion to avoid death penalty

How do you see this ending?

http://www.hlntv.com/article/2013/06/27/jodi-arias-files-motion-avoid-death-penalty

Actually I see it as a legal team concerned about going another round in front of the people snd are trying to have the judge make the decision and not the jury.

I certainly don't see this motion getting up. Judge Stephens did no take much from them in the way of striking evidence during the trial and I don't really see the motion to say defining "especially cruel" was beyond the people of the jury succeeding. Nor do I think asking this judge to remove Arizona Courts common law standard in defining the term to go back to the legislature to do so.

What do you think eastdog? You've paying a lot of attention of late.

Eastdog

Club Legend
Sep 24, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Manchester United
Actually I see it as a legal team concerned about going another round in front of the people snd are trying to have the judge make the decision and not the jury.

I certainly don't see this motion getting up. Judge Stephens did no take much from them in the way of striking evidence during the trial and I don't really see the motion to say defining "especially cruel" was beyond the people of the jury succeeding. Nor do I think asking this judge to remove Arizona Courts common law standard in defining the term to go back to the legislature to do so.

What do you think eastdog? You've paying a lot of attention of late.

Im not sure. Will be interesting to see what happens July 18. It's going to be hard to find a jury that is not biased.

Eastdog

Club Legend
Sep 24, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Manchester United
Thanks for the update eastdog.

Have you heard any speculation that the DA's handling the case have gone quiet and that a sentencing deal that takes death off the table may be presented to the judge?

Havent heard anything about that.

Bobby K

Rookie
Jul 15, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

TheOz

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 29, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Token American sports team
The wounds that this man had inflicted on him were barbaric. He had his neck sliced open all the way to the spine from ear to ear and was stabbed through the heart, stabbed in the back repeatedly and overall was stabbed almost 30 times, then shot through the head. The nature of the murder was incredibly cruel.
This girl is a psychopath and I hope she gets the death penalty.

Eastdog

Club Legend
Sep 24, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Manchester United
The wounds that this man had inflicted on him were barbaric. He had his neck sliced open all the way to the spine from ear to ear and was stabbed through the heart, stabbed in the back repeatedly and overall was stabbed almost 30 times, then shot through the head. The nature of the murder was incredibly cruel.
This girl is a psychopath and I hope she gets the death penalty.

It was a brutal crime that's for sure but in saying that I'm not in favour of killing someone and believe that life in prison is what she deserves as it will be more miserable.

TheOz

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 29, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
It was a brutal crime that's for sure but in saying that I'm not in favour of killing someone and believe that life in prison is what she deserves as it will be more miserable.

From what I've seen of her in interviews and from the trial in general, she seems to be revelling in her new found notoriety whilst hardly looking phased at being incarcerated. Rumour is that she is in a lesbian relationship behind bars and is somewhat of a popular figure amongst her fellow convicts. She even has access to twitter which is ridiculous.

I can't recall her showing any remorse whatsoever during the trial and I don't think she has shown any contrition thereafter. Her entire demeanour and attitude during the trial, specifically her diversionary tactics and sparring with Juan Martinez indicated a total lack of respect for the court. The only time she ever looked uncomfortable was when the phone sex tape of her and Travis Alexander was played and when photos of her naked on the same day of the murder (and as an aside, she has one absolutely mangled and utterly destroyed vagina) were produced as evidence. The autopsy and crime scene photos in contrast hardly had her squirming or looking uncomfortable, she even wanted to see those photos during her initial interrogation out of "morbid curiosity".

The prosecution overwhelmingly proved that she planned the murder and coupled with the brutality of the murder and her lack of remorse, I think the death penalty is a fitting punishment in this instance in my opinion. I also believe this is what the Alexander family want.

Eastdog

Club Legend
Sep 24, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Manchester United
From what I've seen of her in interviews and from the trial in general, she seems to be revelling in her new found notoriety whilst hardly looking phased at being incarcerated. Rumour is that she is in a lesbian relationship behind bars and is somewhat of a popular figure amongst her fellow convicts. She even has access to twitter which is ridiculous.

I can't recall her showing any remorse whatsoever during the trial and I don't think she has shown any contrition thereafter. Her entire demeanour and attitude during the trial, specifically her diversionary tactics and sparring with Juan Martinez indicated a total lack of respect for the court. The only time she ever looked uncomfortable was when the phone sex tape of her and Travis Alexander was played and when photos of her naked on the same day of the murder (and as an aside, she has one absolutely mangled and utterly destroyed vagina) were produced as evidence. The autopsy and crime scene photos in contrast hardly had her squirming or looking uncomfortable, she even wanted to see those photos during her initial interrogation out of "morbid curiosity".

The prosecution overwhelmingly proved that she planned the murder and coupled with the brutality of the murder and her lack of remorse, I think the death penalty is a fitting punishment in this instance in my opinion. I also believe this is what the Alexander family want.

My opinion is that she should get life in prison but thats just me - the jury will decide what her punishment is but you make a compelling argument TheOz for why she should get the death penalty. Do you think Jodi Arias is mentally ill?

TheOz

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 29, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
My opinion is that she should get life in prison but thats just but you make a compelling argument TheOz for why she should get the death penalty. Do you think Jodi Arias is mentally ill?

As an outside observer, she has always seemed in full control of her faculties and has always been calculated in her speech and action. Having said that, it has been speculated that she has some form of Borderline Personality Disorder and her defence team are now using the mentall illness card in an effort to spare her life. From my viewings on the case (as limited as they may be), she had the mental clarity to plan and carry out the murder in a calculated fashion for weeks, starting with the "burglarly" of her grandmother's house and the theft of her gun, the bartering of the cans of petrol to avoid detection at petrol stations anywhere near and in Arizona and then post murder, the attendance of the memorial service, the leaving of phone messages of inquiry to the deceased and even phoning the local detective to offer "assistance". She didn't want anyone else to have him and she made sure of it in clear mind and with clear intentions.

I agree that Travis Alexander did not treat her particularly well, she was his "dirty little secret" and he was an A grade hypocrite with his entire pious Mormon facade, however he did not deserve to be butchered to death in such a cruel manner.

Eastdog

Club Legend
Sep 24, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Manchester United
As an outside observer, she has always seemed in full control of her faculties and has always been calculated in her speech and action. Having said that, it has been speculated that she has some form of Borderline Personality Disorder and her defence team are now using the mentall illness card in an effort to spare her life. From my viewings on the case (as limited as they may be), she had the mental clarity to plan and carry out the murder in a calculated fashion for weeks, starting with the "burglarly" of her grandmother's house and the theft of her gun, the bartering of the cans of petrol to avoid detection at petrol stations anywhere near and in Arizona and then post murder, the attendance of the memorial service, the leaving of phone messages of inquiry to the deceased and even phoning the local detective to offer "assistance". She didn't want anyone else to have him and she made sure of it in clear mind and with clear intentions.

I agree that Travis Alexander did not treat her particularly well, she was his "dirty little secret" and he was an A grade hypocrite with his entire pious Mormon facade, however he did not deserve to be butchered to death in such a cruel manner.

Do you reckon she should pleaded insanity? Would that have helped her case.

TheOz

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 29, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Do you reckon she should pleaded insanity? Would that have helped her case.

I believe that in Arizona, pleading insanity is next to useless. Her best chance was the self-defense claim and even then, she wasn't in any "immediate" danger, although self-defense would have still been a more favourable option than insanity in this instance.

Back