Toast The Joel Selwood Stand

Remove this Banner Ad

Opportunity presented. The club probably won’t build another stand for generations. I liken it to Joel being offered the team captaincy at 22. “Too young” many said, just like “too soon” naming the new stand after a 4 time premiership player, club game record holder and longest serving captain?

Yep. Too soon.

You need time to elapse to be able to really judge where a player sits against others. The club has been around a long time. We actually had decent players from time to time before Selwood too.

Yep. Too soon.

You need time to elapse to be able to really judge where a player sits against others. The club has been around a long time. We actually had decent players from time to time before Selwood too.

I get that but joel wasnt given the stand name because of his playing career it was because of his contribution to the club culture. Which is in a different way the same reason why ablett snr didnt get the stand named after him despite being our greatest ever player.

Honestly they should have waited a bit and then called it the Scott Selwood Stand

Players
a) Gary Ablett senior

<daylight>

b) Gary Ablett junior
c) Garry Hocking
d) Matthew Scarlett
e) Corey Enright

We've had a lot of very good players. During the recent premiership era/s, and before it - Corey, Selwood, David Clarke (only saw the tail end of), Dangerfield just below that. If Greg Williams had played more than two seasons with Geelong he'd be number 2 for certain. As a midfielder he's better than anyone I've seen except Ablett junior.

Leaders
a) Tom Harley
b) Joel Selwood
c) Cameron Ling
d) Garry Hocking
e) Damian Bourke

Leaders for me are far more difficult to assess, compounded by a bizarre fact - aside from Selwood, we've never had a captain for more than 4 years in a row since Reg Hickey prior to World War II. So we haven't had a lot of long term leaders to look at. And as Harley's appointment underlined we really have no idea who the best leaders are beforehand, and it isn't automatically the best player.
Yep fair enough. I wasn't being snide or anything - just genuinely interested in your answer.

All adulation is temporary
Like so many great Geelong players, Selwood will eventually be consigned to the history books as nothing more than a name.
It's amazing how many people don't know who Dick Reynolds is, or Bill Hutchison, Gordon Coventry, Edward Greeves, Albert Thurgood, John Coleman etc.
Even recent legends and superstars like Bruce Doull, Wayne Johnston, Mark Ricciuto and Andrew McLeod, Simon Black, Jason Dunstall, Garry Hocking, John Platten etc. are unknown by so many. Footy supporters (and people) have a very short-term outlook and quickly forget the past. Very quickly.

Joel had an armchair ride during his career. The club was totally stable, never sacked a coach, board never challenged or spilled, no infighting, and massive on-field success. Geelong last sacked a coach in 1988. No other club comes close. Since 1989, Geelong has had 4 coaches. Faint Kilda in the same timeframe has had 11. Richmond has had 8, and Brisbane 9. People take it all for granted, but don't understand how or why.
I will say that Joel has been completely important in keeping the club on track and no doubt had a lot of buy-in as the club was developing, but I still think naming a stand after him is grossly premature.

As much as people may be in love with Joel, he didn't revolutionise the club as others did. Tom Harley as leader was important, and Cook-Costa are the most important duo in the history of the club. They're a major reason why Joel had such a successful career, along with so many others.

Without Cook and Costa, there may not have even been a club as a single entity with a new stadium and financially strong club and sadly, too many people will forget their contribution in making Geelong one of the best clubs in the AFL.

Like so many great Geelong players, Selwood will eventually be consigned to the history books as nothing more than a name.
It's amazing how many people don't know who Dick Reynolds is, or Bill Hutchison, Gordon Coventry, Edward Greeves, Albert Thurgood, John Coleman etc.
Even recent legends and superstars like Bruce Doull, Wayne Johnston, Mark Ricciuto and Andrew McLeod, Simon Black, Jason Dunstall, Garry Hocking, John Platten etc. are unknown by so many. Footy supporters (and people) have a very short-term outlook and quickly forget the past. Very quickly.

Joel had an armchair ride during his career. The club was totally stable, never sacked a coach, board never challenged or spilled, no infighting, and massive on-field success. Geelong last sacked a coach in 1988. No other club comes close. Since 1989, Geelong has had 4 coaches. Faint Kilda in the same timeframe has had 11. Richmond has had 8, and Brisbane 9. People take it all for granted, but don't understand how or why.
I will say that Joel has been completely important in keeping the club on track and no doubt had a lot of buy-in as the club was developing, but I still think naming a stand after him is grossly premature.

As much as people may be in love with Joel, he didn't revolutionise the club as others did. Tom Harley as leader was important, and Cook-Costa are the most important duo in the history of the club. They're a major reason why Joel had such a successful career, along with so many others.

Without Cook and Costa, there may not have even been a club as a single entity with a new stadium and financially strong club and sadly, too many people will forget their contribution in making Geelong one of the best clubs in the AFL.

Absolutely. It was a club-wide effort. You needed a strong President to stand behind a coach that many wanted gone (plenty on here, and I was one of them), a top drawer administrator to make the club viable and solvent, and eventually profitable, and on the field a Captain who set clear and unmistakable standards. We were fortunate to have all three. Then the core team that matured at the same time and carried on for many years afterwards. Every single component was a factor.

Yep. Too soon.

I think we had 15 years to see what Joel brought to the club.

Even if this was true, and I'm not sure it is, it's an argument in favour of naming the stand after him. Even casual footy fans recognise the name John Coleman because there is something named after him.
Joel had an armchair ride during his career. The club was totally stable, never sacked a coach, board never challenged or spilled, no infighting, and massive on-field success.
Speaking of quickly forgetting the past: he entered a club that had had a disastrous season, nearly sacked the coach, and started the year 2-3. He was head and shoulders above everyone else in the loss to the Roos in Rd 5 and all the senior players in that team talk about the immediate impact he had in driving standards etc. Of course it's not fair to attribute anything in footy to one person, but to portray him as riding on what others built even in 07 is wrong.

Even if this was true, and I'm not sure it is, it's an argument in favour of naming the stand after him. Even casual footy fans recognise the name John Coleman because there is something named after him.

Speaking of quickly forgetting the past: he entered a club that had had a disastrous season, nearly sacked the coach, and started the year 2-3. He was head and shoulders above everyone else in the loss to the Roos in Rd 5 and all the senior players in that team talk about the immediate impact he had in driving standards etc. Of course it's not fair to attribute anything in footy to one person, but to portray him as riding on what others built even in 07 is wrong.
Yep and he held the club together after the initial successful period. I think people underrate his leadership based on the fact he joined the club as we turned things around.

I've said it before but this bloke does so much both within and outside the club, he is a great representative of not just the football club but the wider Geelong community.

I also think his playing ability is often underrated. Not saying he's the best but s**t he was good in his prime. People often claim bomber turned on Gaz and that's why he didn't win our B&F in 2010 but I genuinely thought Selwood was better and more important to the team that year.

Reposting info from page 2 of the thread...

The naming of the new stand wasn't a task completed by the Geelong Football Club - they were one of the stakeholders consulted during the process, but I'm going to suggest they would have been supportive of whatever direction was taken

"The naming process, led by Kardinia Park Stadium Trust, involved significant consultation with key stakeholders, including the general public, Geelong Football Club and the community, while working closely with Geographic Names Victoria."

I'm going to take a punt on there being strong reasons behind the KPST going with the Selwood Stand when selecting the the new name, even with him only recently retired

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like who?
Exactly. That's another thing missed with Selwood (not that the stand should be named after the person with the most talent), from the moment he walked in the door he was nearly elite, it was 15 years of high performance as well as everything else. There isn't another player who has served Geelong as well for as long as he did.

Not saying he is the most talented but all things considered, ability, leadership, effort, longevity, community contribution, premierships, he is the greatest Cat.

Gary Ablett senior, Gary Ablett junior, Tom Hawkins, Garry Hocking come to mind instantly. Matthew Scarlett, Corey Enright, Ian Nankervis, David Clarke are a few others. By any measure their respective combinations of games players / individual accolades is up there with anyone we've had.
Seriously? When I saw David Clarke’s name I knew you aren’t being serious. Thousands of Geelong people lost millions when Pyramid went belly up.

Just have a read of dangerwood post 64

Gary Ablett senior, Gary Ablett junior, Tom Hawkins, Garry Hocking come to mind instantly. Matthew Scarlett, Corey Enright, Ian Nankervis, David Clarke are a few others. By any measure their respective combinations of games players / individual accolades is up there with anyone we've had.
Gary Ablett senior, unbelievably talented and amazing to watch individual who mostly played for himself. I don't want a stand named after him.

Jnr - star if he played his whole career at Geelong maybe he should have a stand, but he didn't a maybe his best years were at gold coast. Cumulatively, Selwood gave us more.

Hawkins - great second half of a career.

Hocking - rightly or wrongly I'm not even sure he likes the football club. I have my thoughts on the subject.

Scarlett - star but wasn't always the best football person. Whilst a leader to some he wasn't a leader to all players and people at the club.

Enright - star, give him bar or a door or something, not a stand.

Nankervis - I cant comment

David Clarke - please

I don't think a stand should be awarded on most accolades but in my might Selwood wins with 4 flags anyway. If a leader of Selwoods ilk was captain during the 80s and 90s, our drought mightn't have lasted so long.

I don't think a stand should be awarded on most accolades but in my might Selwood wins with 4 flags anyway. If a leader of Selwoods ilk was captain during the 80s and 90s, our drought mightn't have lasted so long.

Except that he was captain for a decade in which we failed to even reach a Grand final despite some absolutely golden opportunities. Including quite a number of horrendous finals performances. If you're being honest it has to be assessed in totality.

Except that he was captain for a decade in which we failed to even reach a Grand final despite some absolutely golden opportunities. Including quite a number of horrendous finals performances. If you're being honest it has to be assessed in totality.
I guess we view it differently. I didn't think our team was that strong and saw a captain pulling his team to get the most out of themselves year in year out.

Gary Ablett senior, unbelievably talented and amazing to watch individual who mostly played for himself. I don't want a stand named after him.

Jnr - star if he played his whole career at Geelong maybe he should have a stand, but he didn't a maybe his best years were at gold coast. Cumulatively, Selwood gave us more.

Hawkins - great second half of a career.

Hocking - rightly or wrongly I'm not even sure he likes the football club. I have my thoughts on the subject.

Scarlett - star but wasn't always the best football person. Whilst a leader to some he wasn't a leader to all players and people at the club.

Enright - star, give him bar or a door or something, not a stand.

Nankervis - I cant comment

David Clarke - please

You’re on the money with Buddha dangerwood .
I got to see him up close over here and whilst he is a great bloke to have a laugh and round of golf with he had authority issues .
Saw him get testy with the coach on a few occasions and tell Gareth Andrews to f***off - Andrews was VP or a selector at the time IIRC.
Still - fantastic to have a beer with- also got Senior to sign me a happy birthday jumper👍

There’s a lot of people in here that need to read or listen to Joel’s book

Then you will understand why he’s so
Highly regarded by so many
He’s more than football at Geelong.

Hell I’d argue he’s the sole reason why we have been in this position for 15 years.

Remarkable reading/listening

Hell I’d argue he’s the sole reason why we have been in this position for 15 years.

You’re spot on! I read it a few weeks back. As a kid Joel was already demonstrating the selfless, inclusive leadership traits that we saw at Geelong.

Reckon Frank Costa, Brian Cook, Tom Harley, Mark Thompson, and Chris Scott might have had an oar in as well.

Reckon Frank Costa, Brian Cook, Tom Harley, Mark Thompson, and Chris Scott might have had an oar in as well.
So you are yet to give us your name for the new stand

Remove this Banner Ad

Back