Review The joke, the fools and the jester vs Suns

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he wants them to explain WTF is going on, and why they're barely giving 20% effort on the field. He's doing his best, but he's getting nothing whatsoever from most of our senior players - and he wants to find out why.
Yes that could possibly be the reasoning
Also our entire squad is up there so collectively no one can hide

Exactly.

Then you have Jones doing exactly what you want, except as he breaks free all his supporting midfielders are behind him so he gets caught with no options
He had a brilliant moment which is probably the one you're talking about. Took the game on, burst through a few defenders then got caught but got his arms free. Problem was he only had 5 GC defenders to pass to because all his team mates were flat footed back where he took possession.

Did everything you could ask but was made to look a fool by useless team mates.

He had a brilliant moment which is probably the one you're talking about. Took the game on, burst through a few defenders then got caught but got his arms free. Problem was he only had 5 GC defenders to pass to because all his team mates were flat footed back where he took possession.

Did everything you could ask but was made to look a fool by useless team mates.
Pretty sure he did it twice (maybe three times) in the match

Full player review

Doedee - Best on ground for the Crows. Looked to have regained his composure and positioning, used the ball well, battled hard against an onslaught of inside 50s. Game high intercepts too.

Laird - You'll have to bring up a map to point out where his 25 disposals ended up because I couldn't tell you. He is the master of either dinky handballs to flat footed players in defence, getting in between players that could otherwise handball to each other for unnecessary "link play" or kicking it to the moon out of defence

M. Crouch - The worst form of his entire career including his junior days. Looks to have lost all ability to win clearances and contested ball. Is attempting to play an outside midfielder role from within the inside midfield

B. Crouch - There was one goal Gold Coast kicked where outside 50, a GC player handballed to a free team mate with Brad Crouch just jogging insipidly behind, applying zero pressure. This free team mate delivered a lace out pass inside 50 for a goal. If Brad Crouch was even paying the slightest attention or putting in any effort whatsoever, it wouldn't have been a goal. Sums up him as a player.

Seedsman - Mind boggling how much time he spent in the midfield. Ended the day with ONE score involvement and ONE clearance. He is not good enough to play that role and there are questions whether he is good enough for AFL in general

Sloane - Well off the pace and not good enough to play the role he used to play any more. Used to be a gut running midfielder that wouldn't let players stream away from him. Not any more.

Smith - Another garbage game from Smith. At least he touched the ball a few times, but aside from kicking it long (to no one) a few times, he lacks any sort of line breaking ability. Baffling how he ended up with a team high meters gained

O'Brien - Easily won the hitout count but I thought he was monstered by Witts in most key duels. Had a couple of nice marks but that's about it.

Brown - Another player that's a shadow of their former self. Not easy playing defence for us but looks to have lost his glove like ability to blanket the opposition's small forward.

Keays - Signs aren't looking good for Keays. I'm struggling to see where his best role is. He's not good enough at winning the ball to play inside midfield, he's not quick enough or elite in disposal enough to play outside, and he's not a good enough player in general to play up forward. Can't see him making it

Fogarty - As our only good forward, he gets the entire attention of the opposition defence, and it's not working that well. Uncharacteristic dropped chest mark. Would love to see him play a bit more around the ball when we are struggling to get it inside 50, and I don't mean playing in the ruck

Crocker - Jury is out on whether he will make it given we can't get it anywhere near the forward line. Thought he was pretty average but has good intensity

McAsey - Monstered early by Ben King but I thought he worked his way into the game nicely. Will be much better after a stretch of a few games to get up to speed with AFL level, but I would rather him play as a 3rd defender not given the 2nd tall role for now.

Walker - Cooked. Looks glacially slow, can't mark, just bangs it on the boot hoping for a miracle half the time and applies zero defensive pressure. Has to be dropped

Talia - Our good senior player

Hamill - Very promising debut. Wasn't afraid to take the game on and disposal was neat. Didn't get much of it but that will come with time

Kelly - A highly courageous player but is not well suited to our current setup and ends up in no mans land. Extremely limited and once again holds us up offensively, went at negative meters gained today

Lynch - Horrible. Used to be a player you could rely on to make space and gut run to provide options for team mates. That was his one strong attribute and could often outwork players inside 50 to snag a few goals. All of that ability has evaporated so what we're left with is a bog average third tall with poor skills

Murphy - Outbodied by a first year small defender on multiple occasions. Tries hard but isn't good enough for the level

Jones - We refused to give him any genuine inside midfield time so we are reaping what we sow, just like with Gallucci

McHenry - Hard to criticize a second game player. Has the tenacity, just needs to find a bit more composure. Didn't get near it playing forward.

Atkins - His injury had absolutely no impact on his positive output for the team and our overall chances of success. Sums up his career.
Thank you for this post. Saves me writing THE EXACT same words. I scrutinise the game and watch the little things also. You are pretty spot on. I think Crocker is possibly going to be ok if he maintains belief. McAsey showed lots after a bath early. Sloane would be better forward or back. M Crouch awful. What happened to Smith, Brown (who was played consistently ok last season after injury) and Seedsman? Hamill was very promising. Murphy must go. I dare anyone to really disagree with this assessment. Gallucci, Polhoke never showed they are right up to it. May give one a go but Schoenberg is likely more the future. Yep, Fog occasionally at the bounce (not ruck) when it's getting quiet up forward. The Berg for Tex, sadly.

Can someone explain Nick’s comments in the presser? He said the group would work through the post match analysis and hoping he doesn’t have to do most of the talking ?
I did (comment) in a previous post. Didn't like his presser.
I get the impression our senior players do not respect him and he does not have their backing. Maybe strong ex-Hinkley-assistant resentment factor? and the younger players are influenced by their lead (or lack of it).
Re: not doing most of the talking, that's an expression of his hoping the players will open up and tell him what they're thinking/doing, to explain their poor play. "Hey fellas, I'm a nice bloke. What's going on? Talk to me".

That suggests to me:
--- they're not talking to him, not even privately
--- he doesn't know why they're playing so badly, especially the seniors who are capable of better and should be leading the kids by example, BUT AREN'T. :grimacing:
--- he's clueless and does not really have his own agenda/game plan/ team plan/ future directions.

Player feedback in open discussion, good. Sometimes/occasionally. Waiting to be told what to do? Not so good, for a senior Coach. His inexperience is stopping him from stamping his authority on the team; he's tip-toeing around them.
He's a dead Coach walking, poor bloke. We'll finish bottom this year, most likely. Unlikely to play Finals in 2021 --- 2 years out of finals, he's gone.
I'd like to see him get on the front foot, identify what he thinks the problems are (as a Coach would do) and formulate ways to fix them, Nicks-style. whatever that is.
We've heard his talk; time for him to act, not convene-and-mediate.

Full player review

Doedee - Best on ground for the Crows. Looked to have regained his composure and positioning, used the ball well, battled hard against an onslaught of inside 50s. Game high intercepts too.

Laird - You'll have to bring up a map to point out where his 25 disposals ended up because I couldn't tell you. He is the master of either dinky handballs to flat footed players in defence, getting in between players that could otherwise handball to each other for unnecessary "link play" or kicking it to the moon out of defence

M. Crouch - The worst form of his entire career including his junior days. Looks to have lost all ability to win clearances and contested ball. Is attempting to play an outside midfielder role from within the inside midfield

B. Crouch - There was one goal Gold Coast kicked where outside 50, a GC player handballed to a free team mate with Brad Crouch just jogging insipidly behind, applying zero pressure. This free team mate delivered a lace out pass inside 50 for a goal. If Brad Crouch was even paying the slightest attention or putting in any effort whatsoever, it wouldn't have been a goal. Sums up him as a player.

Seedsman - Mind boggling how much time he spent in the midfield. Ended the day with ONE score involvement and ONE clearance. He is not good enough to play that role and there are questions whether he is good enough for AFL in general

Sloane - Well off the pace and not good enough to play the role he used to play any more. Used to be a gut running midfielder that wouldn't let players stream away from him. Not any more.

Smith - Another garbage game from Smith. At least he touched the ball a few times, but aside from kicking it long (to no one) a few times, he lacks any sort of line breaking ability. Baffling how he ended up with a team high meters gained

O'Brien - Easily won the hitout count but I thought he was monstered by Witts in most key duels. Had a couple of nice marks but that's about it.

Brown - Another player that's a shadow of their former self. Not easy playing defence for us but looks to have lost his glove like ability to blanket the opposition's small forward.

Keays - Signs aren't looking good for Keays. I'm struggling to see where his best role is. He's not good enough at winning the ball to play inside midfield, he's not quick enough or elite in disposal enough to play outside, and he's not a good enough player in general to play up forward. Can't see him making it

Fogarty - As our only good forward, he gets the entire attention of the opposition defence, and it's not working that well. Uncharacteristic dropped chest mark. Would love to see him play a bit more around the ball when we are struggling to get it inside 50, and I don't mean playing in the ruck

Crocker - Jury is out on whether he will make it given we can't get it anywhere near the forward line. Thought he was pretty average but has good intensity

McAsey - Monstered early by Ben King but I thought he worked his way into the game nicely. Will be much better after a stretch of a few games to get up to speed with AFL level, but I would rather him play as a 3rd defender not given the 2nd tall role for now.

Walker - Cooked. Looks glacially slow, can't mark, just bangs it on the boot hoping for a miracle half the time and applies zero defensive pressure. Has to be dropped

Talia - Our good senior player

Hamill - Very promising debut. Wasn't afraid to take the game on and disposal was neat. Didn't get much of it but that will come with time

Kelly - A highly courageous player but is not well suited to our current setup and ends up in no mans land. Extremely limited and once again holds us up offensively, went at negative meters gained today

Lynch - Horrible. Used to be a player you could rely on to make space and gut run to provide options for team mates. That was his one strong attribute and could often outwork players inside 50 to snag a few goals. All of that ability has evaporated so what we're left with is a bog average third tall with poor skills

Murphy - Outbodied by a first year small defender on multiple occasions. Tries hard but isn't good enough for the level

Jones - We refused to give him any genuine inside midfield time so we are reaping what we sow, just like with Gallucci

McHenry - Hard to criticize a second game player. Has the tenacity, just needs to find a bit more composure. Didn't get near it playing forward.

Atkins - His injury had absolutely no impact on his positive output for the team and our overall chances of success. Sums up his career.

Perfect assessment.

Same problem exists in the midfield as all season .....same culprits
Beaten by an axed big body ex Crow and a 3 game player ......any bells ring dingbats

tenor.gif

1592798862096.png 1592798911960.png

It's best he shuts up. I don't like board members in the media. He should stick to media and other interests imo. Players care about maximising their return on investment, their working environment and lastly success. The problem is not just the players we lost but why they wanted to leave. The club decides who leaves, not them. That is the secret to a successful club. Sure you will get the odd player who gets offered a bit more or hates the coach etc. The other factor is that a poorly run club doesn't attract quality talent. Who have we brought in of quality? Betts. Anyone else. No one. Why? We had no money. We backed the wrong horses instead of thinking future. The secret to winning is list management. Whoever manages it the best wins.
I wouldn't call $250-300K more for Lever or McGovern "a bit" more.....

I wouldn't call $250-300K more for Lever or McGovern "a bit" more.....
Wasn't talking about Lever or McGovern. Was talking about players in general who leave any afl club. Lever and McGovern were no loss. Although we haven't replaced McGovern's contested marking in our forward half. We should get McAsey up there who can at least grab some marks. Club needs to bite the bullet on Walker and Lynch(which is stopping them playing mcasey up forward) regardless of the money they are on.

1) He's doing his best, 2) but he's getting nothing whatsoever from most of our senior players - and he wants to find out why.
1) Is he, though? Is a talkfest the way to put his stamp on the team?
2) Let's say the Senior players open up. Most of them would have played in the 2017 GF, and 2018/2019, all of which were pre-Nicks and nothing to do with Nicks. Let's say they talk about their hurt from the GF loss, their disappointment at being blamed, then having that Camp and Collective Mindlessness dumped on them, then again before the Melbourne game, their pain and frustration from all the hamstring "awarenesses" they suffered, and so on.
What then? Nicks can empathise, only, but should not apologise for anything he had no part of. OK, he can say "I hear you", but what can Nicks do about that, not having been a part of any of it? Nothing, besides wasn't he supposed to breathe fresh air into the playing group ie not dwell on the past but create a new future?

It might be a relief, even cathartic for the players, but the ball is in Nicks' court to plan, to explain, then to enact.
i think he needs to talk privately, in total confidence, with senior players. Tell them what his plan is and ask them for their input, maybe modify his ideas a little and get back to them with HIS concept of what to do.
"OK, I've listened to you and this is how I'm going to approach this, with your feedback in mind. Tabula rasa, from now on boys. A clean slate".
Ask if they are going to buy into it, or not. "Are you IN, or OUT?" --- he should be able to find 22-26 out of 44 who will commit. Then play and rely on the ones who say YES, ie rebuild with the willing, not the dissenters who can take their lazy-half-hearted-entitled efforts into the 2's.

They're better off failing (bottoming out) with a committed group of rookies, than failing as they are with the mob they have now.

Anyone got CB attendances - don’t think it will be pretty

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone got CB attendances - don’t think it will be pretty

Matt Crouch - 12 attendances, 2 clearances
Brad Crouch - 9 attendances, ZERO clearances
Keays - 9 attendances, ZERO clearances
Seedsman - 8 attendances, ZERO clearances
Jones - 7 attendances, 1 clearance
Sloane - 5 attendances, 1 clearance
McHenry - 5 attendances, 0 clearances

O'Brien - 19 attendances, 0 clearances. Witts - 15 attendances, 4 clearances

Smashed us so much, Nicks will have to take out an AVO on behalf of our mids

I did see Doedee getting around McAsey, calmly talking to him after Ben King had taken another mark on him.

Hated the lack of reaction after Keays kicked that nice goal on the run. What a dispirited group of players.
Thats true about doedee. Saw talia do it as well. Its a start

How fugly is that, embarrassing

I know we all dislike Kornes, but that pick he uploaded comparing Dixon with Tex shirtless said a lot for me.
Tex is done at AFL level, he's done emotionally, mentally and physically unfortunately.
Wait, you actually fell for that cherry-picked doctored pic? LOLOLOLOL Sucker.

Tex is built like a beast. He's just not playing like one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back