Universal Love The Jones Boy.

ButteredBun

Team Captain
Jul 3, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
He’s certainly having a peak-Surjan kinda season is Darcy, and we’re loving it and he deserves every bit of fair praise for it.

Back it up for a few years of not missing targets when blood is streaming and joints are hanging by a thread then we’ll talk Wilson comparisons.

On iPhone using recycled electrons, via BigFooty.com mobile app
Lol......way better than Surjan.

ButteredBun

Team Captain
Jul 3, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Michael Wilson was an inigma. Played in a team full of champions that should have won three or four flags but s**t the bed against Sydney Collingwood and Brisbane. Darce would've eaten it up against those flogs. I reckon he's better than Micheal Wilson.

Ishikawa

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Lol......way better than Surjan.

I would say Darcy is the better player, but Surjan did have a year or so where he was one of the best back pockets / half backs in the game.

DBJ frequently seems to be that step ahead of his man, plays in front so well. A good year from him.

Michael Wilson was an inigma. Played in a team full of champions that should have won three or four flags but s**t the bed against Sydney Collingwood and Brisbane. Darce would've eaten it up against those flogs. I reckon he's better than Micheal Wilson.
Michael Wilson wasn't there when we shat the bed against Brisbane, Hawks, Collingwood, and Brisbane. Was still on the road back to being his best when we did against Sydney and Collingwood. Tore his achilles in 2007 PF. If Wilbur plays the 2007 GF no way we lose by 20 goals. We would have lost by plenty, Geelong were unstoppable but Wilbur would have made sure they only won by 12-14 goals.

Has eliminated a lot of the dumb mistakes from his game so his good play stands out more often.

Playing like someone who has been in the system for 6 years ie consistent week in week out. No longer should be considered a young player even though hasn't hit 100 games yet, after he did the 2 year apprenticeship with the Magpies.

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
I think someone has done this before but I couldn't find it so here's my version.

Oct 7, 2004
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
While i said he reminds me of Wilson, theres no way he is better than him. People forget just how good Wilbur was.
Darce is improving but he is still a long way from being Wilbur good

Sep 20, 2007
Dungeon
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Carn. DBJ is having a good season but he is a long way off being a certified legend like Wilbur.

Unpopular opinion time: Michael Wilson being such a legendarily hard bastard and the quintessential PAFC player has led to people looking back on his career with rose coloured glasses and overestimating his actual impact on games. I think with the way DBJ has played over the last month or two he's had more impact on games than Wilbur did. That said, he's gotta keep it up for more than just a month or two.

Power freak 2008

Premiers 2004, 2020 Covid Premiers
Nov 1, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys/New York Yankees
I have enjoyed DBJ this season. He is definitely one of the most improved. Always in front, hard over the ball and was always a close checker of his opponent. One of the reasons why our form has improved. You wonder who has helped him turn his form around. He was lost for a little while there. Possibly Basset to be honest. Basset was a clever defender who knew how to position himself between the ball and his direct player. I saw him give Brett Ebert a bath one day...

Harlott

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Unpopular opinion time: Michael Wilson being such a legendarily hard bastard and the quintessential PAFC player has led to people looking back on his career with rose coloured glasses and overestimating his actual impact on games. I think with the way DBJ has played over the last month or two he's had more impact on games than Wilbur did. That said, he's gotta keep it up for more than just a month or two.
Yeh but he impacted some big games. He may be overrated by some here but I think in general he was underrated by the wider afl community.

“He’s had an outstanding year. The beauty of Darcy is the combination of teammates he has around him, and his connection to the way we want to play has really strengthened his game.

I don’t think we’ve got another player on our list who has been able to embrace what we are trying to do, and execute it so well and so quickly.
He should be in the conversation for one of the league’s best half-back flankers." - Brett Montgomery

Earlier in the season, after Byrne-Jones hears from people that Montgomery called him a 7 out of 10 defender...

Montgomery: "I'm not asking you to be the player you can be, I'm asking you to be the player you are now. You're smart, you get what we are trying to do here. Make an example for the younger guys. Be a leader. Can you do that?"

Byrne-Jones: "Yeah, I got you."

Montgomery: "We're cool?"

Byrne-Jones: "We're cool."

Later that same day...

Byrne-Jones: "Riley B...the kicking machine!"

Bonner: "Yo, what's up DBJ?"

Byrne-Jones: "How you liking the new defensive system, man?"

Bonner: "It's uh...it's coming along...picking it up. You know, a tough transition but I'm starting to feel a little better with it."

Byrne-Jones: "What's your biggest fear?"

Bonner (smiles): "A football being kicked in my general direction."

Byrne-Jones (smiles): "That's funny. No seriously, what is it?"

Bonner (smile fades): "No seriously, that's it."

Byrne-Jones stares at Bonner. Bonner leaves the room.

Byrne-Jones (calling out): "Hey, good luck with that!"

Last edited:
Probably true re: production but what Wilbur did he did very well. If DBJ adds sneaky punches the umps don’t spot and centimetre perfect kicks to gain ground up the wing to what he’s already doing he’s got a shot.

Ishikawa

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Loved Wilson but that's a reasonable call. Perhaps you're underselling him a little there, but certainly when I see the oft-repeated assertion that we wouldn't have lost by three figures in "that" game if he was out there is pretty hard to see as anything but fanciful given the utter pantsing that was handed out in every position on the field & coaches box that day.

DBJ is in AA form. No doubt about it.

Wilburs 04 was incredible and was a huge reason why we won the flag.

Surj was the best lockdown small defender in the league for a couple of years. Pity his body gave out.

NoddyHolder

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2014
Tralfamadore
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I expect to see Pittard hit him lace out on the chest at least twice.
Then after the game they can embrace and laugh and laugh and talk about old times and bad haircuts

Back