The Journey - Parts 1, 2 & 3 - continuing in 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

It's been an interesting exercise to observe, have these three productions.

Some elements of Part III were done better than at at any other stage, whilst others were as bad as ever.

Good:
- Weitering at home. Not necessarily for anything other than the insight it gives into his personality. It grounds him and shows us who he is.
- Wright and Bolton discussing the former's speech at his grandmother's funeral. Not essential to the overall story per se, but a nice look at Bolton's man management and relationship building with the list (might have felt more organic and less out of place if melded with other similar examples of such rapport).
- Murphy. This is going to sound weird and a little contradictory, but I'm all about show, not tell. Show Murphy being a good leader, don't just tell me he is. Because of his injury we couldn't see any of him showing, but his pieces to camera went a long way to justifying his position as skipper and endorsing his presence in the role. Just the little snippet of him post Brisbane was a good 'character' moment.
- pre-match Adelaide was well done. Showed Bolton coaching, something we hadn't seen in previous installments. Showed an honest and frank discussion.
- Coverage of Byrne's injury and early stages of recovery. Could've been woven into the story a little more cogently, but was nicely done nonetheless. It was an encouraging look at his attitude towards adversity and hardship, as well as his commitment to getting himself right.
- elements of Jack's debut. Covering the day before, a little piece to camera etc was nice. They definitely ought to have done the ol' record the call to mum though. Jo's reaction would've been both heartwarming and priceless.
- Bolton's trip to Tassie. There, in that short exchange, we got a much better sense of who he is. Less guarded, well manicured rhetoric, less 'teaching' and more of the man. Yes, it was managed, but it felt more authentic. Perhaps in this segment we should've seen the Wright piece. Another nice moment was his joking with the leadership group post his nose to tail.

Bad:
- whilst they addressed a lot of the fundamental storytelling issues of the first two (namely, there wasn't any story) they still battled to express themes with certainty. Some elements listed above were nice, but they either weren't tied together where they should've been, or they stood alone with no context.
- transitions. There were some shockers.

After a short look at the father/son day we come to Murph. The voice over says, "one player who didn't participate was Catina Marc Murphy, who was injured in round 10." It then cuts harshly to something altogether different. That was the easy segue into Marc's segment they would ever have gotten.

Another was post the GWS loss. "An interstate loss and plane ride provides opportunity for reflection," ok, uh huh... we going to see it- oh, harsh cut to something else.

- The better stuff captured seemed like pure coincidence they just happened to get. That wasn't then refined into something better. There weren't set ups to provide and then steps taken to exploite opportunities to tell a better story. Half of life is luck, I suppose.
- the Nike product placement with Cripps' boots and Murph's sneakers was wonderfully clunky. Just have shots of racks of gear next time. Boots, guernseys et al.
- Bolts - and indeed anyone talking in an open room - needs a lapel mic were practical. Match committee, addresses to the group, he has to be wearing a mic.
- nothing for Jamo and Walks.

So, ultimately more good than bad, but even that which was good had plenty of room for improvement. I'm thankful to get anything after the years of being shortchanged in this regard by the club, but a much better product than this exists.

My advice would be to set out to document something specific. Unexpected story threads and moments of interest will pop out of that, presenting their own opportunities, but plan to tell a story as opposed to capture something you can cobble into a story later on.

Whilst I love the inside access, overall I found it disappointing, and the above points outline why. The rushed and clunky audio/visual transitions aside, where the hell was the narrative and story?

It literally looked as though individual standalone segments that could have been put on the site throughout the year, where just chucked together, with the round-by-round footage used around it to try and lace it all together. A doco isn't made that way.

The BIGGEST thing to annoy me was the constant jump to black between segments. Not only was this jarring visually, but it just proved the individual segments that ended with black didn't fit anywhere narratively within the doco. This editing technique is used maybe once, twice maximum to show a change of pace, or direction of the overall narrative. I counted at least 5 from memory.

Oh, and was I the only one pissed at the fact they followed up our first loss to St Kilda with comedic music and a scene with Bolts smiling and laughing whilst telling a funny story to the leadership group about crashing a car. Not the smartest move to edit in that scene directly after what was a confidence-sapping loss to the Saints. Also, what purpose did the 30 sec odd segment of Weitering inspecting a leak in the Carlton gym area serve? Was random and added literally nothing apart from a small bit of humour through randomness.

The first instalment of this series was by far the best, as it was well shot, edited seamlessly and a narrative was constructed throughout that gave you an insight into the personalities and lives of our draftees. Using this as a standard setter for the rest of the Journey series, it unfortunately fell below my expectations. Love the effort so far, but hope it improves narratively.

I stopped watching at the match v *. Was like watching a good movie with a really bad ending.
The rest was great. It gave a really good insight into many aspects of the club. I especially loved the Byrne storyline. It's great to see the bloke's determination. It has to be a long lonely process coming back from an ACL.

Certainly had a few missed opportunities for narative. The walker and jamo retirements could have had a changing of the guard narrative.

I still enjoyed it. I don't expect the club to burn money on Ron Howard directing a free doco. This is a passion project for the media team. Accept it for what it is and appreciate an insight most clubs don't provide.

Whilst I love the inside access, overall I found it disappointing, and the above points outline why. The rushed and clunky audio/visual transitions aside, where the hell was the narrative and story?

It literally looked as though individual standalone segments that could have been put on the site throughout the year, where just chucked together, with the round-by-round footage used around it to try and lace it all together. A doco isn't made that way.

The BIGGEST thing to annoy me was the constant jump to black between segments. Not only was this jarring visually, but it just proved the individual segments that ended with black didn't fit anywhere narratively within the doco. This editing technique is used maybe once, twice maximum to show a change of pace, or direction of the overall narrative. I counted at least 5 from memory.

Oh, and was I the only one pissed at the fact they followed up our first loss to St Kilda with comedic music and a scene with Bolts smiling and laughing whilst telling a funny story to the leadership group about crashing a car. Not the smartest move to edit in that scene directly after what was a confidence-sapping loss to the Saints. Also, what purpose did the 30 sec odd segment of Weitering inspecting a leak in the Carlton gym area serve? Was random and added literally nothing apart from a small bit of humour through randomness.

The first instalment of this series was by far the best, as it was well shot, edited seamlessly and a narrative was constructed throughout that gave you an insight into the personalities and lives of our draftees. Using this as a standard setter for the rest of the Journey series, it unfortunately fell below my expectations. Love the effort so far, but hope it improves narratively.

I'm not expecting Louis Theroux-like quality from an internal comms team, but so much of what is bad or underwhelming about this trilogy of documentaries could be fixed with a little patience and planning.

What's the story? Easy: grand old Club climbing back up the ladder. Long road ahead.

Who are the most interesting characters given where the Club finds itself? Easy: Trigg, Bolton, Silvagni.

What utility do they possess to the story? Easy. They're each authorities over an integral aspect of the rebuild. Trigg in terms of admin and culture, Bolton in terms of coaching and teaching, SOS in terms of list build.

Those three act as an in to an interesting story thread.

Trigg: into the overall direction of the Club, managing the hiring of a new coach.
Bolton: the senior playing list and leadership group, with whom he works closely to rebuild this club.
SOS: the players that he has drafted, whom he thinks can turn the club around.

Episode One should have been focussed on the newbies, two on the Trigg-led rebuild and three on Bolton and his style, philosophy etc.

Three act structure, fellas. It's stood the test of time forever and a day.

Thought it was really good, insight into Byrne was interesting, although some shots were a little creepy. Enjoyed the SOS story, Bolts short chat with Wright is a small example of how good he is.

Ending with the loss to Essendon was frustrating, but expected as that's how we finished our season. Thought some of the jumps between segments weren't great, in saying that I wasn't expecting an Oscar quality production.

Overall, thought it was really good and provided a great insight.

Loved Big Nick's speech with Jack's Guernsey presentation
How the club got around Byrne, and his determination to get though his rehab.
Matty Wright continues to impress me and loved the convo between him and Boulton about his Grandmother's funeral.
Cripps at the leadership meetings.
Cracked up at Weitering and the roof leak, he had such a dry sense of humour. Loved his family dinner too.

I thought it was much better than part 2.
Would have liked to have seen more fuss made of Jamo and Walker's retirements but overall I really liked the insights.

I was more impressed with his response to Bolts' question about leadership.

"Every week I go out thinking we can win."

Once he gets some better players around him, he is going to dominate.
They'll sing songs in the shire about how good of a footballer Patrick Cripps was

Really liked the byrne stuff about his injury/rehab. The rest was pretty boring. Weitering sounds like the last bloke you would want to hang out with, probably find him in a library.

Needs more behind the scenes stuff and actually hear/see what they are doing rather than a few short scenes with the guy talking over the top giving us nothing. Even some match day audio would be good. None of this 'in round 18 we played this team and we got beaten' and then weitering saying 'its a learning curve blah blah blah'

boring

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pardon the intrusion, really enjoyed Part one when it was on foxtel earlier this year. Bolts is an absolute ripper and you can learn so much from him just by watching these small docos. That sort of training, wisdom and motivation is invaluable. Enjoy the journey with your great coach and list manager. Will always have a soft spot for bolts (and sos after today :) )
Im watching part 3 now and its very good as well, and idea where i can find part 2? Thanks. *Edit - Found it :thumbsu:

Last edited:
just from that short trailer, Bolts is sounding more confident and certain and natural. He's grown and learnt from the first year. committed to a plan.
Thought the same thing myself. The question I'd love to know the answer to is whether the driver behind that is experience as head coach or whether he is genuinely confident in the direction his plan is taking us. Or, you know, mexicantacogirl.jpg

Thought the same thing myself. The question I'd love to know the answer to is whether the driver behind that is experience as head coach or whether he is genuinely confident in the direction his plan is taking us. Or, you know, mexicantacogirl.jpg

More likely he's been introduced to coffee by the lads.

Another thing i was wondering / hoping, is that he feels the club united with him. Is there a nacho girl?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back