The Journey - Parts 1, 2 & 3 - continuing in 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't really enjoy it.

Part I was a fascinating insight into the club's offseason.
Part II was a very rushed, week-by-week recap of the season interspersed with random behind-the-scenes clips, dodgy music choices, an overdrawn montage of Weitering's injury (I felt like i was watching a tribute video at his funeral) and a cute but not very relevant bit with John Barker and his kid at auskick.

The behind-the-scenes bits are the most interesting to watch, I just wish they had shown more and sort of fleshed out parts of it.

Didn't really enjoy it.

Part I was a fascinating insight into the club's offseason.
Part II was a very rushed, week-by-week recap of the season interspersed with random behind-the-scenes clips, dodgy music choices, an overdrawn montage of Weitering's injury (I felt like i was watching a tribute video at his funeral) and a cute but not very relevant bit with John Barker and his kid at auskick.

The behind-the-scenes bits are the most interesting to watch, I just wish they had shown more and sort of fleshed out parts of it.
I hear what you're saying, but I think it's just evolved to capture the most interesting moments. Part 1 was mostly about following the new draftees interspersed with pre-season training. It would've made quite boring viewing had they continued that original plan, following the new draftees through rehab.

They saw an opportunity to show the most captivating moments up until now, which just happened to centre around our completely unexpected winning form, and the success of Weitering.

Huge thumbs up from me. Absolutely loved it and couldn't stop smiling while watching it. :grinning::thumbsu:

Watched it and didn't think much of it personally. I was left wanting more behind the scenes...the lead up to simmos 250th showed very little, wanted to see what the players do away from footy...the charity work etc, more about the development of our younger guys, more of Brendan Bolton...just more of what we don't know or see.....just felt rushed and to focused on week to week results....could've been so much better imo.

First episode was much better...

I liked it, but not as much as Ep 1. That was full of hope and possibility, and I was hungry for info on the new regime.

Ep 2 was the reality phase as the train left the station - gave a sense of the celebration of the wins and improvements, but still a long way to go. Half a season is hard to fit into 30 mins.

I reckon they will be giving us regular content along the journey, but stockpiling the footage for a doco (hopefully getting some plotting and editing experience on board).

Big tick though for what they've done so far. It's great to be a blue.

Part 1 was offseason. All our hopes were on a new learning environment and a good draft and trade period. There was no footy yet.

Part 2 is midseason. There had been footy. The club is about far more than the journey of a handful of 18 year olds. There was a much bigger picture here, not a narrow 2015 recruiting documentary.

Even the bits around the draftees in part 1 were about more than the draftees. It was a showcase for the way Bolts handled them, and it was a showcase for Carlton embracing the draft. The Silvagni recruitment was about tradition and romanticism.

Once the season starts though, following McKay rehabilitating, Cuningham rehabilitating, Curnow getting over an illness and VFL football really goes away from the intent of the journey.

You guys have made this about a handful of players, and not the whole club IMO.

Your last sentence reinforces what I am saying. It's about the club as a WHOLE. Not just the senior side.

If you feel part 2 was as good one then fair enough... But I feel it was fairly obvious part one was more engaging.

Your last sentence reinforces what I am saying. It's about the club as a WHOLE. Not just the senior side.

If you feel part 2 was as good one then fair enough... But I feel it was fairly obvious part one was more engaging.

Nah, whole of club means coaches, staff, CEO, president and fans as well.

would loved to have seen some more administration content, the CEO, Pres etc how are they being included reacting to the reset.
The one in, all in mentality and how it is going through out the club not just the players.
Glad they included a piece on JB, thought that acknowledged his commitment after missing out on the senior coaching job.
seeing footage of the seniors at reserves games.

lots more content that could be included in the next episode.

would loved to have seen some more administration content, the CEO, Pres etc how are they being included reacting to the reset.
The one in, all in mentality and how it is going through out the club not just the players.
Glad they included a piece on JB, thought that acknowledged his commitment after missing out on the senior coaching job.
seeing footage of the seniors at reserves games.

lots more content that could be included in the next episode.

Agree with you on Barks. There was always that feeling that he might have had to swallow his pride after last year in order to keep his job, but it seems as though he really is this relaxed work/life balance sort of guy and encouraging his son to be a fan of the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geez give them a break. It's not an award winning doco, it's a free video to give a bit of insight into our footy club...which has been largely closed off the the media over the past couple of years.

We've been used to accepting mediocrity in regards to carlton's media department for years. Guess we should continue.

Finally sat down to watch it, loved every bit of it but my one gripe is that over-dramatic background music, akin to something out of a horror show they seemed to play a fair bit, like when Weiters' mum saw him after his shoulder got injured. Give it a rest FFS.

Highly confidential but when have I ever held a secret....I have been approached to narrate the 3rd instalment. I didn't watch last nights as I don't like to be critical of those I will most likely replace but it seems the people have spoken!! Think David Attenborough describing a wildebeest herd on the Savannah! :)
But you sound like wormser talking aeronautics at a party to strangers....

Nowhere near as good as the first instalment.
Sorry to say that, because it is great the club do things like this, but really, they seem to have lost focus of that made the first part so good.
It was about Insights.
About individuals.
The look on Weits' face, and his moms when he got injured, was the only interesting bit in the second part.

Looks like Weitering is trying to grow some mutton chops

Weiterchops.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back