Universal Love The Joy of Six : Peter Daicos

Remove this Banner Ad

Also a little bit of history on the Pies website re: Daicos & his 6 goals against the Roys. "On this day"

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2014-05-19/on-this-day-daicos-six-against-fitzroy

This is one game I can remember very clearly although I was just a kid. Listened to it on the radio (or should I say wireless....why do I feel like granpa Simpson telling this story). It was all very glum trailing at 3 quarter time on a wet day at Princess Park until Daicos lit it up in the last quarter and we kicked 10 last quarter goals. Daicos kicking a large percentage of these including a one step centre square torp that sailed through. We were looking terribly average that year until that last quarter of that game. We won the game and the next 9 and the rest is history, but it took Daicos magic to turn the tide.

This is the stats for the game:
http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=4362#t2

Interesting to see all the Fitzroy player names: Paul Roos, Ross Lyon, Gary Pert, Scott Clayton, Alaistar Lynch, John Blakey, Matt Rendell all currently involved in the AFL in one way or another. Plus a few crazy talents in Dale Kickett & Wally Matera. All in all a pretty good team on paper.

It was one of Daicos' all time great games yet there is precious little footage of it and only about 16,000 there to see it - half probably Roys fans who wish to forget it. Hopefully someone can find more footage. The best seems to be off this blokes old video (yes the old VCR at the peak of its powers) and is terribly grainy footage:

The first few clips on this are all from that game. Fortunately it does include the torp which would have to be 80m and proves its not been exagerated with the memory! Like a lot of Daicos stuff its as good as you remember it...if not better in some cases.

When people ask "who's the greatest player you've seen play the game?" I say Daicos.

He did things that no one had ever done and in so many ways improved the game going forward.

Can many players in history say that?

It was one of Daicos' all time great games yet there is precious little footage of it and only about 16,000 there to see it - half probably Roys fans who wish to forget it. Hopefully someone can find more footage. The best seems to be off this blokes old video (yes the old VCR at the peak of its powers) and is terribly grainy footage:

langers1971 are you possibly of assistance here ?

When people ask "who's the greatest player you've seen play the game?" I say Daicos.

He did things that no one had ever done and in so many ways improved the game going forward.

Can many players in history say that?

Good call mate. Daics was before his time really, his skills would still outshine 99.9% of todays players and his kicking was always superb. Imagine how many guys today can think through what is required and then execute with Daics's precision. He was a freak.
Loved the quote from a tiger supporter on that other site...."if someone does something freakish once, fluke....if someone does the freakish several times...DAICOS"

Good call mate. Daics was before his time really, his skills would still outshine 99.9% of todays players and his kicking was always superb. Imagine how many guys today can think through what is required and then execute with Daics's precision. He was a freak.
Loved the quote from a tiger supporter on that other site...."if someone does something freakish once, fluke....if someone does the freakish several times...DAICOS"

Fully agree. Daics was the best player we have had in my lifetime. You just knew that if they managed to get him the ball a miracle would occur nine times out of ten. He was really the only player of his time able to kick the goals along the ground we take for granted now. He effectively pioneered them.

The article did talk about his agility, but not his baulk. I remember one game he was being chased from behind and another opponent bearing down from in front. Daicos baulked at the last moment, the opposition players ran into each other and fell over, and he just waltzed off like he had brushed off a fly. Amazing.

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1981/041419810530.html

daics kicked 9 - his best haul til the 'lets laugh at gastev' effort against the bears.

one of them truly amazing....but totally deliberate.

standing on the outer flank, about 60 out kicking to the grandstand end, into a stiff norwester - ie kicking into it.

i was standing directly behind it and watched it - a perfect spiral torp, cutting the wind all the way - didnt deviate an inch.

i challenge anyone to kick a torp into the wind. let alone go 60+.

The article did talk about his agility, but not his baulk. I remember one game he was being chased from behind and another opponent bearing down from in front. Daicos baulked at the last moment, the opposition players ran into each other and fell over, and he just waltzed off like he had brushed off a fly. Amazing.

yep - saw that happen countless times. he'd just freeze for a second and the world flew by - was under pressure and suddenly metres in the clear.

Also a little bit of history on the Pies website re: Daicos & his 6 goals against the Roys. "On this day"

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2014-05-19/on-this-day-daicos-six-against-fitzroy

This is one game I can remember very clearly although I was just a kid. Listened to it on the radio (or should I say wireless....why do I feel like granpa Simpson telling this story). It was all very glum trailing at 3 quarter time on a wet day at Princess Park until Daicos lit it up in the last quarter and we kicked 10 last quarter goals. Daicos kicking a large percentage of these including a one step centre square torp that sailed through. We were looking terribly average that year until that last quarter of that game. We won the game and the next 9 and the rest is history, but it took Daicos magic to turn the tide.

This is the stats for the game:
http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=4362#t2

Interesting to see all the Fitzroy player names: Paul Roos, Ross Lyon, Gary Pert, Scott Clayton, Alaistar Lynch, John Blakey, Matt Rendell all currently involved in the AFL in one way or another. Plus a few crazy talents in Dale Kickett & Wally Matera. All in all a pretty good team on paper.

The first few clips on this are all from that game. Fortunately it does include the torp which would have to be 80m and proves its not been exagerated with the memory! Like a lot of Daicos stuff its as good as you remember it...if not better in some cases.

I was at that game. I cant remember a lot if it, but I do remember getting very excited in the last quarter, and yelling a lot!

yep - saw that happen countless times. he'd just freeze for a second and the world flew by - was under pressure and suddenly metres in the clear.

Yes and often made the opposition look very stupid. I will never forget the look on a Bomber's players face once. The ball was coming straight for him a simple take, Daics running back with the flight, the ball bounced in front of the Bomber defender, he was about to take possession, but somehow in one motion Daics had taken the ball, side stepped him & kicked the goal, without making contact. The look on the Bomber defenders face was as if the ball had vanished, I am not sure he even saw Daicos, he was focused on the ball, he had it then it was gone and everyone was cheering. He literally had no idea what had happened until he watched the replay on the screen.

He is so far ahead of players kicking skills these days its absurd. I have always thought it is the ball drop thats the key. Players these days want to kcik the ball hard & long and quickly which means they get into the habit of a bigger ball drop which means more errors. The one thing with Daicos is his ball drop is almost imperceptable, the ball is virtually always still from hand to foot and he always took time to make sure this was done no matter the pressure . His low centre of gravity probably helped him get that low for kicking but the principle is still true - especially for set shots, its harder to hit a moving target - keep the ball still before you kick it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i cannot help. this game was a non televised match

thanks - worth the try.

considering your library, have you considered making highlights dvd's of various legends, for you know, sale, (shhhh) to the senile fans like myself ?

for example weve all got the daicos best goals dvd/vhs - but something showing his expertise as a mid in the early days might get some interest.

One of the funny Daicos stories was in a Coll v Carl mag produced in the nineties for on eof the big matches. Ang Christou was interviewed about being a mad Pie fan as a kid even to the extent he was sent away from a U19 match for having a Coll jumper worn under his Carlton jumper.

Later he spoke about how he idolised Daics even when playing for Carlton. Said one match Daics did one on his shots from the boundary from well out. Christou reckons he chased it and could have caught it and stopped the goal but he didn't because he just had to see if it was going to go through. Whether it was totally true I am not sure but it shows the esteem Daics was held in by other players.

Daics, gun. He and Gavin Brown were my idols when I was growing up.
That first goal in the 90 granny you see as he scoops up the ball, runs toward the boundry the fans in the crowd are starting to stand up before he kicks it in anticipation of the goal.

Also I remember when the G was undergoing renovations and the players were complaining about the wind coming from the open stand (the bahgdad end it was affectionately known as :D) Daics went out there, weaved his magic and made them all look silly.
He should get far more credit as an innovator and game changer as so any players these days attempt to replicate his bag of tricks.

His biggest haul i think we 13 against the bears. Also i think he is the best player i have seen even better than bucks
This. I can't and won't try to compare players from completely different eras because the game has changed so much but I can comfortably say that I have never seen another player who would take a spot in a side I picked before Daics. He was a walking highlights reel and got me to the footy more than anyone I can even think of. For mine he was the most damaging player with ball in hand I have ever seen and I will be surprised if that ever changes. There was not a place inside 70m from goal that he couldn't slot one from and he did it regularly.

How amazing is it to see a player take the ball with one touch then take two steps on the boundary line and slot a goal, repeatedly. Unbelievable.
Left foot, right foot, inside out, outside in, curling snap, bouncing shot or gunbarrel straight torp. He could do it all, was a much finer mark than many give him credit for too.

The greatest player I've ever seen don the stripes, if Greening had played a full career with him we would be sitting on about 18 or 19 flags now.

It was my privelege to watch his career from day 1 to retirement.

I was at that fitzroy game, as well as the goals he took one of the greatest marks of all time on the outer wing.
Correct, it was not televised but ch 7 matched up the 3LO radio call with the vision and showed it on the replay.
Daicos is certainly the best Collingwood player of all time and second to Ablett Snr as the best player i have seen.
The fact he is not in the afl team of the century is laughable.

Quite simply my Idol growing up.
Everything i did as a small forward as a kid growing up i based it on Daicos's game.

I even saw him do an interview once about how he gets the ball to curve the way he does, he said " i wear my boots on the wrong feet "... So i started doing that! Obviously i didn't understand sarcasm as a kid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back