Universal Love The Joy of Six : Peter Daicos

Remove this Banner Ad

Quite simply my Idol growing up.
Everything i did as a small forward as a kid growing up i based it on Daicos's game.

I even saw him do an interview once about how he gets the ball to curve the way he does, he said " i wear my boots on the wrong feet "... So i started doing that! Obviously i didn't understand sarcasm as a kid.
I can remember an interview he did after Jack Dyer saying on World of Sport that his dribble snaps were just lucky.

As near as I can remember it it rans thus . . "You know it's funny like that, the more I practice them the luckier I get."

Lol @ Dyer and the rest of the anti-Pies establishment at the time trying to downplay the marvel.

I was at that fitzroy game, as well as the goals he took one of the greatest marks of all time on the outer wing.
Correct, it was not televised but ch 7 matched up the 3LO radio call with the vision and showed it on the replay.
Daicos is certainly the best Collingwood player of all time and second to Ablett Snr as the best player i have seen.
The fact he is not in the afl team of the century is laughable.

You are a lucky man! Seems you were one of the few there and was unaware of the mark, would have loved to have seen some vision.

Also have heard people talk about a quarter of football he played in 1982 (under Tommy Hafey) versus North.We lost the game & seems to be forgotten in terms of great games he played (mind you he kicked 7 playing in the midfield). Apparently he didn't touch it for the first half, but in the third dominated so much that I have heard people describe it as the best quarter of football played by a Collingwood player. It wasn't full of spectacular goals. He simply played in the centre won the ball, streamed out of the centre stepping around guys and kicked goals. Not once but over & over. As in ball it up, Daicos possesion, Daicos goal and repeat.

Last time I heard it talked about was at a sportsmans night a few years ago with Tommy Hafey and Daics. Involved Tommy giving him a rocket and Daics responded with that.

You are a lucky man! Seems you were one of the few there and was unaware of the mark, would have loved to have seen some vision.

Also have heard people talk about a quarter of football he played in 1982 (under Tommy Hafey) versus North.We lost the game & seems to be forgotten in terms of great games he played (mind you he kicked 7 playing in the midfield). Apparently he didn't touch it for the first half, but in the third dominated so much that I have heard people describe it as the best quarter of football played by a Collingwood player. It wasn't full of spectacular goals. He simply played in the centre won the ball, streamed out of the centre stepping around guys and kicked goals. Not once but over & over. As in ball it up, Daicos possesion, Daicos goal and repeat.

Last time I heard it talked about was at a sportsmans night a few years ago with Tommy Hafey and Daics. Involved Tommy giving him a rocket and Daics responded with that.
The greatest pity for those of us that saw his entire career is that all the highlights young people see are his freakish goalkicking skills. Those of us who saw his star rise from the early days appreciate just what a sensational player he was in the centre. Could mesmerize his opponents - I've read earlier posts on this thread of opposition players having bemused expressions on their faces after being made to look like half trained chimps in the presence of the master. Such occurences were commonplace and perhaps the real reason he never reached the superstar status was that sensational performances were just the norm for him.

The greatest pity for those of us that saw his entire career is that all the highlights young people see are his freakish goalkicking skills. Those of us who saw his star rise from the early days appreciate just what a sensational player he was in the centre. Could mesmerize his opponents - I've read earlier posts on this thread of opposition players having bemused expressions on their faces after being made to look like half trained chimps in the presence of the master. Such occurences were commonplace and perhaps the real reason he never reached the superstar status was that sensational performances were just the norm for him.

This is so true Jon, the people that only get to see his goals forget (or never knew ) that he was a midfielder sent forward due to injury and necessity for the team. To watch him befuddle midfielders and taggers in the centre was to watch Nureyev on "So you think you can dance." Young Daics had a surprising turn of speed (when he needed it) but he possessed the single best baulk in the game. He not only had an "eye for the game" that saw play 10 seconds before everybody else, but he had eyes in the back of his head that allowed him to escape would be tacklers and to set up players in better positions all over the field. I've no doubt that had he played midfield for 60% of his career, he'd have won at least 2 Brownlows

Then he went forward and golly did that change the shape of the VFL as we knew it. He was Baldock, Jezza, Hudson and Ablett all in one. Try to match him up with a smaller run with defender and he out marked them effortlessly. Play a tall on him and he got the ball to ground and then left them floundering as he ran into open goals. Opposition coaches played two men on him and he was only 181 tall! When Lethal used the Hudson forward plan (everyone else out of the forward 50 and kick the ball into him quickly and randomly) Daics was in heaven, and his opponents would have been shaking in their boots.

I heard him tell a story once about how he used to kick balloons around his house as a kid and that it taught him to connect with the ball at precisely the right moment for it to do what he wanted, he was simply the best kick of a ball I've ever seen. All the other posters have talked of Daic's kicking ability (his ability to use different types of kicks to do just what he wanted) but he also had the basics down pat. He could kick just as well left or right foot, and he was confident enough to use whichever side suited him best at the time. A forward could lead confidently at Daics knowing that the pass would hit his chest untouched. Similarly other players used to give him the ball (even when he was in unlikely scoring positions) so that the team had the best chance of
scoring.

In one of his last games against Sydney at Vicci Park he took a mark out on the practice wickets flank some 60m out and on the boundary. He'd had a lean trot and was looking to do the team thing and pass inside for a better scoring option. He was so close to us (some 5m or so) that I just yelled out "Just kick the goal Magic".....
He took a deep breath and his body language changed. He altered his grip on the ball from drop punt to torp and I knew what was going to happen. Out came the tongue as he lined up the big sticks. Five deliberate steps later he let it go...and it just kept on sailing....post high through the goals and into the cheer squad. We got home by 2 points or something ridiculous and Daics kicked another goal to seal it. The ability to do what had to be done and to perform the skill effortlessly under the most intense pressure is the stuff of champions.

Peter Daicos was/is a champion.

I would have been at this game but just don't recall it. Damn old age. :(

Hope you don't mind me sharing this. It is a photo from my copy of Finals Fever, which was a publication which analysed the finals series of 1978. This photo is from the Under 19s finals that year, and the photo says the North player is receiving strong opposition from a Collingwood backman. Can anyone confirm it is Daicos?

Capture.PNG

Hope you don't mind me sharing this. It is a photo from my copy of Finals Fever, which was a publication which analysed the finals series of 1978. This photo is from the Under 19s finals that year, and the photo says the North player is receiving strong opposition from a Collingwood backman. Can anyone confirm it is Daicos?

View attachment 745571
naa thats not Daicos. Looks a little like him in the face but legs are too long! not sure Daicos played in the under 19s either

Here's the Collingwood team list for that game (from the QF Football Record):
Daicos was named, but it certainly doesn't look like him!

From the following week's Football Record:

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm pretty sure that's Graeme Anderson in that pic.
We had a couple of Graeme Anderson's at the club around that time. Graeme R. Anderson, who played 71 senior games for Collingwood, was 25 in 1978 (so couldn't be playing U19's!). Are you thinking of him, or the other Graeme Anderson who never made it to senior ranks?!

I'm pretty sure that's Graeme Anderson in that pic.
Not sure it is but I remember a great goal he kicked at Moorabbin one day.

He was hassled into the behind post, paddling the ball in front of him, then handballed the ball in the air, grabbed the behind post & swung himself around it going out of bounce & as he came back in play kicked it out of the air for a spectacular goal!

Everyone has their favourites but he's the best player I've seen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back