List Mgmt. The Kelly and All Draft and Trades Discussion Thread- #freetim #ITSHAPPENING

What will we pay for Kelly?

• 2019 1st, future 2020 1st and 2nd for Kelly and their 2020 2nd

Votes: 41 19.4%
  • 2019 1st and future 2020 1st

Votes: 99 46.9%
  • 2019 1st plus a player e.g. Petrucelle, Brander

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • 4th rounder and Kurt Mutimer

Votes: 35 16.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Further to the previous:

Information is that apparently Geelong won't move T.Kelly until they have an agreement with St Kilda for J.Steven.

Cats are refusing to use their current pick 16, but their next is 34 which the Saints won't accept.

Saints only interested in receiving picks for this year as they have pick 5 and then nothing until the third round.

If the pick 22 that West Coast has is enough to gain J.Steven then there are suggestions of a three-way deal occurring early in the trade period to get it out of the way.

Figures going around for such a deal seem to be along these lines:

View attachment 750785

I have to say, if this were to happen I would be very happy about the outcome.

Finding it encouraging that these are the numbers I am seeing doing the rounds.
29EAC78D-F765-43CE-99FE-8FAB9160F41F.gif

Re: Kelly & Geelong.

I suspect part of last year's 'stalemate' was Kelly was contracted, we were premiers and Cats saw themselves as being a 'challenger' for this years flag.

With an aging list, some close to retirement (may be retiring before trade week) & Kelly out of contract the Cats may recognise their list has some holes that need plug n play replacements for and have a 'shopping list' to plug apparent & appearing holes.

They may want this one out of the way quickly.

History has shown thats its very rare that both sets of supporters feel thats its been an even and fair trade.

If Kelly selects us as his Club of choice and a trade is eventually done, then The Geelong Board will scream that we rogered them and ripped them off, whereas our Board will scream that we were robbed and paid massive overs.

As I have said previously getting Kelly would be nice but its not imperative to us winning a Premiership as we did that last year with out him.

Provided we don't sell the farm I am happy to trust our list management team.

I dread the board leading into the trade period as it gets very toxic and vindictive.
And that situation isn't helped by the trade period being such a drawn out process.

All i am saying is that it will be unforgivable to miss out on Kelly 2 years in a row. If we had him this year we finish Top 4 and probably make another Grand Final.

People seriously overrate draft picks. Kelly is a known gun. We are competing for a flag now. Just get it done.

Receiving texts (non-verified) from multiple sources now that T.Kelly will be releasing a media statement on Tuesday signalling his intention to leave Geelong for WA, with West Coast as his preferred destination.

Also receiving that Eagles initial offer will include their 2020 first round pick but not any first rounders from this year.

This is my own personal speculation now, but if this information is true, then the following could be what the club is trying to achieve:

View attachment 750678
Wow if we can get him without using our first this year ill be stoked. We obviously have our eye on someone we want with our first this year....

Further to the previous:

Information is that apparently Geelong won't move T.Kelly until they have an agreement with St Kilda for J.Steven.

Cats are refusing to use their current pick 16, but their next is 34 which the Saints won't accept.

Saints only interested in receiving picks for this year as they have pick 5 and then nothing until the third round.

If the pick 22 that West Coast has is enough to gain J.Steven then there are suggestions of a three-way deal occurring early in the trade period to get it out of the way.

Figures going around for such a deal seem to be along these lines:

View attachment 750785

I have to say, if this were to happen I would be very happy about the outcome.

Finding it encouraging that these are the numbers I am seeing doing the rounds.
That would be an outstanding result.

So Geelong are out of the finals race and I am hoping Tim has played his last game as a Cat :geelong:

Given the Cats are the Mad Monday gurus, I was wondering whether the West Coast posters (and feel free any other club supporters) would have any advice for Tim as to suitable attire.

My recommendation is for him to go in a West Coast :westcoast:jumper with number 11 on the back.

Other would be going as a Lotto ticket - add words like "It will only be a matter of getting the numbers right"

He would go as a sandwich board with the logos of Ford, Shell and Alcoa with a sign up saying "Other Icons to leave Corio"

Another would be to go in a Ned Kelly outfit with the slogan saying "It's about time Victoria treated the Kelly family a bit fairer"

Or really subtle - have a sign saying any club in WA so long as it not Freo:freo:

I would love to see if Fox Footy could get a camera inside the exit interview with Chris Scott and Tim Kelly. Now that would be reality TV worth watching

It would, but the likelihood is next to 0 I think. Geelong would be paying overs for Stevens and receiving unders for Kelly. Wells seems to be a tough negotiator. He would be run out of town down at Corio Bay and in to witness protection
But on the other hand, Steven has a contract! and St Kilda gave him the opportunity by drafting him, they've supported him throughout his difficulties, he owes them to see it out despite any mental health concerns! And why would the Saints do themselves a disservice by making their opposition team stronger just cos of that??!

Yep, will be a fun trade period I reckon

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How would that value each club? Using Dylan's assumed finishing position to picks in 2020

Geelong - Stevens and pick 29 for Kelly

Saints - Stevens for 28

West Coast - Kelly for 11

I am hoping that this goes ahead.

If we can keep our first 2 picks this year, there will be a quality midfielder available at 13 and a decent set of options available at 31.

I would like Luke Jackson for our first pick. Jackson is the type of player we need and difficult to get.
We can get Robertson back in two years through trade.

198cm/94kg athletic ruck/forward

Sounds a lot like Bailey Williams who we already have

We need to be drafting mids. Pretty much a non-negotiable imo

198cm/94kg athletic ruck/forward

Sounds a lot like Bailey Williams who we already have

We need to be drafting mids. Pretty much a non-negotiable imo
He is different from Bailey Williams other than height and weight. There are some U18 competition video around from 2018 and 2019. Goggle them, you will probably argree with me after watching those replay. Bailey Williams is good, but Luke Jackson is even better. In the old days, he would be a number 1 pick.
Also, one of Sharp and Rivers should be still available at a later pick.
(Note: I read it somewhere that the mids after pick 2 this year are more or less the same quality).

Last edited:
Doesn't the rule count from the end of 2015, though?

It looks that way according to this article:

To me, that sounds like the rule extends back to 2015, meaning we won't be forced to meet it until 2021. If we had used two pick first rounders in 2015 and 16, then we'd be screwed. 2016 still counts next year, though, because it will only be after the four years when we'll have to use one, rather than at the fourth year.

In 2021, using a first then, coupled with 2017, meets the requirement.

I'm just assuming Geelong will be massive *******s about it again, despite the fact he isn't contracted. I'd prefer a second to come back, though.
This being the first year (or the last year without enforcement) skews it a little, but I get what you are seeing- unfortunately it will not be the case as of 2020 draft.

Because of the date of the introduction of the rule teams can go into next year non-compliant... BUT, they can't trade themselves into a non-compliant situation without approval.

Also important to note that it is 2-1st-round-selections over a period of 4 years, not in the previous 4 years (so when looking at potentially trading a 1st rounder for next year, we need to look at 17/18/19 drafts to ensure we have taken 2 picks in the 1st round. 16 drops off at that point.

Also (a general comment, not directed specifically at anyone) we should all remember in trade scenarios if we do trade a future 1st, no other future picks can be traded (unless we bring in another pick in the same round). So scenarios like 22, future 1st and 2nd aren't possible- unless we acquire another future 2nd from somewhere.

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

He is different from Bailey Williams other than height and weight. There are some U18 competition video around from 2018 and 2019. Goggle them, you will probably argree with me after watching those replay. Bailey Williams is good, but Luke Jackson is even better. In the old days, he would be a number 1 pick.
Also, one of Sharp and Rivers should be still available at a later pick.
(Note: I read it somewhere that the mids after pick 2 this year are more or less the same quality).
True, however ill put money on the violet flogs picking him with one of their early picks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back