Universal Love The Kelly Gang

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatever you might say about him, his ability and determination to rise in adversity off the field in order to live his dream has been a feature of his football journey (5 knockbacks > 12-hour days at a full-time job/training followed by extra skills training after practice 3 days a week, then coming home to a sick kid); as it has on the field at Geelong with a couple of huge Q4s when we were under the pump
Rise in adversity off the field? Live his dream?

What's the adversity earning 200,000 a year and raising three kids. Or working a job while playing Wafl. What a story of inspiration. I'm in the twighlight zone here. Five knockbacks? Oh the humanity he gets drafted then takes the first offer home that suits his needs. Hardly a bloke who screams rising in adversity.

Sent from my SM-A300Y using Tapatalk

Rise in adversity off the field? Live his dream?

What's the adversity earning 200,000 a year and raising three kids. Or working a job while playing Wafl. What a story of inspiration. I'm in the twighlight zone here. Five knockbacks? Oh the humanity he gets drafted then takes the first offer home that suits his needs. Hardly a bloke who screams rising in adversity.

We agree on that.:rolleyes:

Should have traded him and moved on. Like what was said before the trade deadline, more resources time and effort put into a bloke who doesn't deserve it.

I've always remembered the Shane Harvey situation from 2003. Mark Thompson called him before the pre season draft and said "how'd you like to be a cat" his old wanna play with my brother and don't want or need Geelong was the reply. Thompson at the pre season draft said words to the effect if that's the way he conducts himself can't see him being too successful in football or life. Cue three years outta the system.

Watching Kelly and his cohorts this week I've kinda got the impression either way blokes like that ant worth the effort. The juice is if ever really worth the squeeze. I'm tipping Kelly won't be one for rising in adversity on the football field or off it.

I'm torn. Love what he brings to game day. Just hope the off-field baggage doesn't wear him down. Feel he was well worth the re-punt, but can understand why some are opposed to it. Club deserve the opportunity to get on top of the off-field issues, and Kelly deserves his chance to prove doubters wrong. If it does go pear shaped, we all move on.

At least this way she got to explain her side of things.

It left questions unanswered though. There was no explanation as to what this minimal support from Geelong was and what sort of support she expects from the club going forward.

It left questions unanswered though. There was no explanation as to what this minimal support from Geelong was and what sort of support she expects from the club going forward.
Plane tickets was one, if the other reasons is as petty and pathetic as that it shows she doesn’t have realistic expectations of what support she is entitled to.

Plane tickets was one, if the other reasons is as petty and pathetic as that it shows she doesn’t have realistic expectations of what support she is entitled to.

Clearly his genius of a manager needs to educate her on the restrictions under the TPP rules.

I am embarrassed and disgusted that some of our supporters are giving this family a hard time. Family come first every time when making any decision. It’s none of our business why they want to go home or why they chose WC. Remember, it’s just a game.

I wish everyone would just support this family instead of trying to take them down.

He could have stayed in WA and played for whatever he was on there, supplemented with his day job $. A workplace is a workplace. There was nothing mandatory about this decision at all, he either came to Geelong and followed the rules or didn't play AFL. Point being, people need to take responsibility for their own decisions. So often today people think they deserve additional privilege.

Finally a sane and clear voice has risen above the din.

They chose to sign with Geelong. They chose to sign a two year deal. They chose to move across the country. The club doesn’t give you enough flights home? A tragedy. Pity there isn’t this thing called the internet and you could book flights yourself. As long as your husband is earning an income of course.

Also, West Coast are not awful for not bowing to Geelong’s offer either. They have their own responsibilities and they don’t owe Kelly a living. The way I see it both clubs did absolutely nothing wrong, that’s how trading goes sometimes.

Last edited:
I am embarrassed and disgusted that some of our supporters are giving this family a hard time. Family come first every time when making any decision. It’s none of our business why they want to go home or why they chose WC. Remember, it’s just a game.

I wish everyone would just support this family instead of trying to take them down.
We do remember it's just a game; but he could have said no to a 2 year deal at Geelong and stayed where he was in WA. What do you think of that scenario? It is our business that he has chosen to stay at Geelong ahead of going to Freo. Nobody is giving the family a hard time, and family does come first- some of us struggle to see Tim's consistency in his decision making.

So on a forum we can’t discuss/ make criticisms of a publically made comment/behaviour

s**t better shut down Bigfooty

Oh just worked out how to do it.
Actually feel sorry for her. Not sure why they wouldn't go to Freo though.
When geelong pick him up in the Draft next year then they will be happy to go to freo. He has to play well to keep his value.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Correct. But don't go public with criticism of your partner's employer. Especially with claims that many of us believe are unfounded or have been exaggerated to manipulate a desired outcome, which ultimately backfired.

Of course many who love the club are going to defend it.

Correct. But don't go public with criticism of your partner's employer. Especially with claims that many of us believe are unfounded or have been exaggerated to manipulate a desired outcome, which ultimately backfired.

Of course many who love the club are going to defend it.
Yeah I feel sympathy for the situation no doubt, I've got 2 kids and my family are a couple of hours away by car, the other halfs in Adelaide so it can be tough with no real support or help close, and I would earn about a quarter of what he did this year... I lose sympathy for them a fair bit when they shut down the option to get to one of the other sides back home and his moron manager basically admitted it is because West Coast are a good side and Freo aren't... Staying in Geelong can't be the big bad wolf you make it out to be when you shut down a viable option to go home like that.

Also fwiw as in anything in life you get out what you put in.. If you don't want to give something a chance you will never like it, seems she was never going to give Geelong a chance so she was never going to enjoy it.

I really couldn’t care if they stay or go.. however, when you make criticism that the club hasn’t helped you out when there has been reports of the club bending over backwards for them and the WAGS rallying around Catlin only to be dismissed.

It clearly pisses people off that she can make public statements like this, and make other public criticism of the club on her social media account and not be called out on it.

Like I said a few pages it’s clear what the agenda is.

We do remember it's just a game; but he could have said no to a 2 year deal at Geelong and stayed where he was in WA. What do you think of that scenario? It is our business that he has chosen to stay at Geelong ahead of going to Freo. Nobody is giving the family a hard time, and family does come first- some of us struggle to see Tim's consistency in his decision making.
He wanted to play AFL, so he entered the draft, and in so doing, agreed to abide by the AFL Rules.

That's when the die was cast, because the Rules say that as soon as he's drafted, the club and player must sign a 2-year (so-called) "contract" in the form prescribed by the Rules.

If he refused to sign, or if he signed but refused to move and play for Geelong, he wouldn't have been able to play AFL; he would have been suspended from at least the next 2 drafts; and the WAFL and its lower-level affiliates would probably have also suspended him.

He made the decision to try to play AFL, and once he did that, the choices were (1) accept the 16 to 2 odds of moving, or (2) if the cards fell the wrong way, give up football in order to stay in WA.

Finally a sane and clear voice has risen above the din.

They chose to sign with Geelong. They chose to sign a two year deal. They chose to move across the country. The club doesn’t give you enough flights home? A tragedy. Pity there isn’t this thing called the internet and you could book flights yourself. As long as your husband is earning an income of course.

Also, West Coast are not awful for not bowing to Geelong’s offer either. They have their own responsibilities and they don’t owe Kelly a living. The way I see it both clubs did absolutely nothing wrong, that’s how trading goes sometimes.

Not only that, they chose to have children at such a young age and when still living with the parents. I stress the word chose. I can’t stand it when people act as though it is just so hard having all of these children, when in this day and age there are so many ways to prevent that from being an issue in the first place.

Jeez those rumours re: the real reason why the 'no Freo' decision was made are pretty strong..

..and the reason has nothing to do with Tim.

Not only that, they chose to have children at such a young age and when still living with the parents. I stress the word chose. I can’t stand it when people act as though it is just so hard having all of these children, when in this day and age there are so many ways to prevent that from being an issue in the first place.
And not one, but three,

Clearly his genius of a manager needs to educate her on the restrictions under the TPP rules.
That is understated here. Even if we have in the past provided accommodation, flights home etc. it just can't be done these days. Maybe the AFL should make allowances and concessions for interstate players with families. I'm sure we would if we could.

That is understated here. Even if we have in the past provided accommodation, flights home etc. it just can't be done these days. Maybe the AFL should make allowances and concessions for interstate players with families. I'm sure we would if we could.
I could understand the issue for the interstate rookies on the list, but when you’re on potentially $200 k plus I just don’t get it.

He wanted to play AFL, so he entered the draft, and in so doing, agreed to abide by the AFL Rules.

That's when the die was cast, because the Rules say that as soon as he's drafted, the club and player must sign a 2-year (so-called) "contract" in the form prescribed by the Rules.

If he refused to sign, or if he signed but refused to move and play for Geelong, he wouldn't have been able to play AFL; he would have been suspended from at least the next 2 drafts; and the WAFL and its lower-level affiliates would probably have also suspended him.

He made the decision to try to play AFL, and once he did that, the choices were (1) accept the 16 to 2 odds of moving, or (2) if the cards fell the wrong way, give up football in order to stay in WA.

I don't think Kelly had to sign a 2-year deal under terms of the CBA - and if he had a manager who understood the rules better, he may have ensured that Kelly signed a 1-year deal which would have forced a trade if Kelly's intent was to always return to WA after one year; that Kelly signed a two year deal, I think his intention was to stick it out for two years but there was pressure to return home which is why a trade was requested:

22.3 First Year Player (a) When a first year Player is first drafted by an AFL Club, that Player and the AFL Club shall enter into a Standard Playing Contract for a minimum term of two years except in the case of a Player who has previously been drafted as a Rookie or where the Player is over 23 years of age by 31 December in the year in which he is selected by a Club.

Kelly met the age requirement for an exemption to entering into a standard playing contract

I could understand the issue for the interstate rookies on the list, but when you’re on potentially $200 k plus I just don’t get it.
Not sure what TK is on at Geelong as a mature first year player.
But with a partner looking after 3 kids, family support can be paramount, and accommodation/work for in-laws could be a help.
There are plenty of things footy clubs do to help families like the Kelly's, and I have often heard, without bias, Geelong FC is one of the leaders. I don't know if she actually wants GFC to be given the chance to do so, but all this is speculation, of course fuelled by her comments in the Addy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back