Preview 'The Kersten Cup' Round 14 Fremantle v Geelong @ Simonds Stadium

Can Freo thrash the pussies?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
677628_thumb.jpg

Geelong (3rd) vs Fremantle (11th)
Sunday 25 June 2017 – Simonds Stadium 1:10pm (EST) 11:10am (WST).

TV:
Live from 11am on 7, Fox Footy.
Radio: 720-ABC, 882-6PR
Weather: 13° Showers or two.

I like Geelong. :D

In fact, MrsInjuryFactory and I might be watching replays this weekend. :cool:

Fremantle return from the bye ready to tackle the “new” season, as we head down to Sleepy Hollow to take on the fearsome prospect of a near full strength Geelong side at their newly (again) upgraded Cattery.

Hey Geelong, do you even stadium bro? :$

panels2.jpg

Recent Head-to-Head Results

upload_2017-6-19_21-2-24.png

Last time
With Fremantle running a dual narrative for 2017, we fronted up with a familiar contingent of the tried and tired role players and unsurprisingly, were put to the sword by a powerful Geelong led by the Dangerwood combo. Fremantle’s turnovers provided Geelong with all the ball they needed to cruise their way to a comfortable 42 point win.

Selwood (28 touches, 8 clearances), Dangerfield (24 touches, 3 goals) and a dominant Hawkins (4 of 5 marks contested, 3 goals) were the standouts for the Cats, while Nat Fyfe (28 touches, 14 contested), Stephen Hill (25 touches, 8 clearances) and David Mundy (31 touches, 9 clearances) tried admirably to keep Freo in it.

Player Watch

esFrZzX.jpg

Dangerfield
Remains most likely to cop the Blakely strangle, has had a statistically brilliant season so far in 2017, eclipsing his numbers from his barnstorming 2016 where he blitzed the field for the Chas. Although from afar, his impact on games hasn’t appeared to have reached his game-breaking best of last year. Often spends greater time in the forward line against us, where he has overwhelmed his opponents and hurt us on the scoreboard. Quelling his influence will go a long way to evening the ledger, although becoming too Danger-centric only allows Selwood, Duncan and Co to get off the chain and damage on the spread.

9k2P1P9.jpg

The Selwoods

Geelong's recent return to form came on the back of Scott “Scooter” Selwood, who’s return brought a fierce pressure that saw him break a tackling record, 44 tackles in his last 3 games. It's the most tackles across 3 weeks of footy on record. *Chris Mayne boner alert*

Geelong will miss his pressure on Sunday, as he looks set for a stint on the sidelines after tweaking his hamstrung early in the second half on Thursday.

His captain and brother Joel, has had a scintillating season so far in 2017, rivalling only his Brownlow bridesmaid effort in 2013. Where Danger is still anticipated by many to go back to back Charlies this year, Selwood is having the greater impact on games, and arguably a superior season overall. Another candidate for the Blakely tag, will be important to limit his damage at the contest although we may be better off to run with an attacking set up at the stoppage and take him head on.

Should have copped a holiday for his mongrel effort on Mitchell.

GOQVSR33.1-1.jpg

The Great McCarthy
Can the young Freo tyro find form off the break and make an impact up forward? Cam himself admitted he was looking forward to the break, here’s hoping Cam has reset and readied himself to go again, a timely return to form could be the difference if a spirited Fremantle side turn up for the fight. Cam at his best is an extremely dangerous, hardworking natural forward who can expose a solid but unremarkable Geelong backline with decent supply. The challenge will be for Cam to get himself into the game early.

Form

The Fremantle roller-coaster has been an equally fun/frustrating ride for the faithful this year. The confidence gained in the 6-1 run from round 3 has quickly dissolved on the back of 2 ½ games of insipid footy as we barely crawled our way to the line and the bye. We are rebuilding after all.

What side will we see turn up this week? The spirited, daring and captivating group of inspired youth led by the sage and experienced veterans? or the meek, hesitant, sometimes stationary witches hats we resembled against Port, Adelaide and Brisbane?

Geelong started off the year winning but not convincingly enough to draw praise from the coach. A 3 week run of consecutive losses on the back of a complete lack of pressure and intensity saw them lower their colours, however a resurgent Cats with a newfound vigour and appetite for the contest appeared back to their best before last week’s stumble.

Selection
For Fremantle, coming of a limp effort heading into the bye there will be changes. Will Ross stay the path or give in to temptation at the selection table?

Sandilands, Langdon and Taberner should all return, with Hughes also a chance. Ballantyne looks set to return via Peel, although he could get a surprise call up.Grey comes out of the side with a hamstring and Griffin would be an automatic omission for Sandi. Thank god for that. Kersten looks in trouble after managing only 1.1 in his last 3 games, including a goalless effort against the Brions. He’s not alone.

For Geelong, lesser Selwood and Cockatoo bow out of the side that lost to West Coast, with Tom Hawkins set to return from his one week “jumpery” induced holiday. Also in the mix, George Horlin-Smith was named the Cats' best player in the VFL, with 38 disposals, seven tackles and a goal. Jackson Thurlow kicked two goals to go with his 26 touches and may also come into consideration.

Prediction
Geelong will be licking their wounds after losing convincingly to West Coast last week, I would expect nothing less than fierce response from a team destined for a top 4 finish. They will be looking to bounce back strongly and make a statement, especially at home during an unprecedented* run of home games at the newly upgraded Kardinia Park. The dysfunctional forward line on display last week straightened up with the return of Hawkins, unless our midfield get back their game-breaking best, I'm afraid this one will hurt.

Geelong by 38 points.

*NOT a Clayton Oliver reference

Last edited:
Strangely confident we can cause a massive upset, fresh off the bye our young squad will play like they did against the Bullies and send them running.

Fremantle by 13.

Strangely confident we can cause a massive upset, fresh off the bye our young squad will play like they did against the Bullies and send them running.

Fremantle by 13.

I must say this term is something I've only ever encountered on Bigfooty - we're always 'strangely calm' after a thrashing or 'strangely confident' when we're about to get pantsed :D:D:D

Make no mistake - this will be a pantsing but maybe, just maybe we'll see hints of an improved gameplan, collective skills and footy nouse by the time the final whistle blows.

I've gotta say, some of my favourite Freo games in recent memory have been against the pussies in Vic.

Last week I thought Hutchings did a great job on Jelwood. I'd throw Blakely on him and let Fyfe and Dangerfield go head to head. The commentators don't mention it too often because he's their love child, but some of Patty's field kicking is rubbish, much like Fyfe's.

Their forward line worries me though. By the looks of it, it's going to be a cold, hard, wet slog. They have a tall backline while our forward line is a bit more mobile, hopefully that can play into our hands.

In saying that though, my prediction is Geelong by plllleeeennnttyyy (10+ goals).

We do ok at Kardinia, especially the times I've been to the game. But I'm not going this weekend so I dunno if the players can do it without me :p
I'm not confident, but I always tip us. Freo by 3 after the siren.
If freo behind after half time can you go to oval and have a look :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we'll come out, put on a show and lose by less than what we lost to Adelaide by.

That's about as positive as I can be this round.

I just want to see some decent run and none of the high kick down the field. Get the ball, break the lines, keep possession.

Score doesn't matter, developing a non stagnant style does.

Freo win by 24 point if ballas and co play .

Last edited:
Part of me is hoping that something comes up on the Sunday so I don't have to sit through what could be one of the greatest disasters of our time (no, I'm not talking about our game at Average Homes Stadium) but knowing my luck, it probably won't so I'll be sitting back at home watching this.

There is so much dread surrounding this match for me so here is what I'm hoping for

4 Quarters of Effort!
Hard, Tough, Football!
Some semblance of a game plan!
No umpires by the name of Stevic (avg 6.7 free kicks more to opposition in the last 10 Freo games he's umpired) and Fisher (avg 6.375 free kicks more to opposition in the last 8 Freo games he's umpired)

Anyway if the above occurs, Cats by 44 points as they just have too much class for us.

If some of the above doesn't occur, Cats by 12 goals plus with 150+ swear words from me watching and me wanting to lynch Ross Lyon and prevent him from returning to Perth.

I liked the bye, not having to worry about all this stuff. I said next time we meet geelong I thought we'd beat them but then we lost to brisbane and barlow broke his leg and now I'm not so sure.

What are you guys worried about?? Don't you know this is an equalised competition!! Just like we had to travel on a 6 day break to play a lowley but spirited team that had a bye and lots of time to set themselves to have a crack on their home deck, we've been afforded the same luxury. Cats will be travelling across the country on a short break and ....

Oh, hold it. I see, we're the one's travelling after the bye, and Cats are waiting on their home base and have the luxury of an 9 day break which all but cancels out any advantage we might have with they bye ...

OK, in that case, them by 10 goals by half time, then I'll go kick the ball with my son who will be bored shitless by then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back