Preview 'The Kersten Cup' Round 14 Fremantle v Geelong @ Simonds Stadium

Can Freo thrash the pussies?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sadly (not), I won't be making my way to Geelongistan for this one.

Melbourne weather doesn't stop me. Seeing us spanked doesn't stop me.
But the complete hiding we are about to get, coupled with the 4 hour return trip and the feral supporters (to be fair, most of them are great but their muppets excel at muppetry), this game is a Westgate bridge too far.

I think it's going to be an 80+ point hammering.

There is plenty to be interested in from a Freo perspective in terms of getting a look at young players but sadly that will be hard to given this will be over in 10 minutes or so. Tipping point to non competitive through missing crucial players is very easily reached at this stage of list turnover.
God what I'd give for just 1 player in our squad who is A. Tall & B. Capable of taking a contested mark. Teams like Eagles & Adelaide seem to brim with them yet we are seemingly incapable of identifying players who can mark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fantastic to see Melbourne get up but unfortunately a record losing margin by Freo will ease their pain. Please be competitive tomorrow Freo!!

There is plenty to be interested in from a Freo perspective in terms of getting a look at young players but sadly that will be hard to given this will be over in 10 minutes or so. Tipping point to non competitive through missing crucial players is very easily reached at this stage of list turnover.
God what I'd give for just 1 player in our squad who is A. Tall & B. Capable of taking a contested mark. Teams like Eagles & Adelaide seem to brim with them yet we are seemingly incapable of identifying players who can mark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We actually don't have a single player in that side who can take a contested mark - come to think of it maybe we don't have one at all? I've not seen Fyfe clunk one this year.

If we had picked up McGovern and/or Yeo - would we be Premiership material by now?

We actually don't have a single player in that side who can take a contested mark - come to think of it maybe we don't have one at all? I've not seen Fyfe clunk one this year.

If we had picked up McGovern and/or Yeo - would we be Premiership material by now?

Spurr I guess?

And IMO no, two very good players who'd undeniably make us better but we have more than a couple of holes to fill.

Spurr I guess?

And IMO no, two very good players who'd undeniably make us better but we have more than a couple of holes to fill.

Spurr takes a good intercept mark from time to time. I'm talking one-on-one, or even pack scenarios.

If all those pointless long bombs to players who can't mark actually found a safe pair of hands we'd have a truck-tonne more forward fifty entries.

Spurr takes a good intercept mark from time to time. I'm talking one-on-one, or even pack scenarios.

If all those pointless long bombs to players who can't mark actually found a safe pair of hands we'd have a truck-tonne more forward fifty entries.

are we last in contested marks this year? it wouldn't surprise me. Taberner is probably still our best apart from a fit Fyfe and maybe Sandi which is a bit concerning. Be interesting to see if we can find a way to give Strtandicahya (I'm sorry dude but its a nightmare of a name, it's a solid 7/Polish) any gametime this season as he looks to be one capable of clunking a few.

are we last in contested marks this year? it wouldn't surprise me. Taberner is probably still our best apart from a fit Fyfe and maybe Sandi which is a bit concerning. Be interesting to see if we can find a way to give Strtandicahya (I'm sorry dude but its a nightmare of a name, it's a solid 7/Polish) any gametime this season as he looks to be one capable of clunking a few.
We are middle of the pack with 10.8 average per game. Fyfe, Sandi, Hamling and MJ all average > 1 per game (Tabs on 2.2). I just wish we'd find other ways to move the ball rather than rely on contested marking. Good teams tend to be good at contested marking but more importantly they can hit uncontested targets inside 50. We are third last for marks inside 50 (ahead of only Hawthorn and Brisbane) - coincidence?

We are middle of the pack with 10.8 average per game. Fyfe, Sandi, Hamling and MJ all average > 1 per game (Tabs on 2.2). I just wish we'd find other ways to move the ball rather than rely on contested marking. Good teams tend to be good at contested marking but more importantly they can hit uncontested targets inside 50. We are third last for marks inside 50 (ahead of only Hawthorn and Brisbane) - coincidence?

Totally agree, as much as I lament our lack of marking power I don't think it's a/the significant factor behind our often poor ball movement. I still think that just finding our best kicks in space is far more important when it comes to fluid ball movement.

One area where I think we've noticeably dropped off in over recent years is blocking and shepherding for our outside mids, something that should be considered a fundamental practise. All too often I see one of our prime ball carriers attempting to run and create and immediately getting corralled and mown down while teammates jog idly by with their mouths agape. We usually have even numbers at the contest, yet too many of our players either compete for the same footy and get in each others way or, when their teammate gets possession, go into this half-arsed holding pattern looking for the handball receive. "Wheres the bloody shepherd!?!?" is basically my version of "Just kick ittttt!" when at the footy. When all is said and done, in regards to structures and team balance, micromanagement and tactics etc etc it really is the simplest things we should be looking to improve on first.

Third last for marks inside 50? Yep, says it all. We spend a lot of time just faffing about racking up meaningless possessions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Third last for marks inside 50? Yep, says it all. We spend a lot of time just faffing about racking up meaningless possessions.
I probably should have also mentioned we are fourth bottom for inside 50s, and the bottom for goal assists. We also need to increase supply.

But everything really does point to getting back to fundamentals...

1. Pressure - we are bottom for tackles. What used to be a strength of ours, we have now become the worst in the AFL.

2. Winning the Ball - we are 3rd bottom for contested possessions (ahead of Bris and Hawks). At our best we were #1. We have some amazing ball winners on our list, how are we so far behind in this stat area? If we were one of those uncontested move the ball teams then this wouldn't seem so bad but we are definitely not that!

FYI every Melbourne supporter should now be barracking for the Dockers tomorrow.
Choose your battles - even if Sandi and Fyfe were playing, we'ld still get pumped. Cheer for us next week against the Saints. We can try to block some top 8 challenges whilst you guys run up the ladder. But hopes of Freo helping you get top 4 - well, simply put "tell him he's dreaming" :p

I probably should have also mentioned we are fourth bottom for inside 50s, and the bottom for goal assists. We also need to increase supply.

But everything really does point to getting back to fundamentals...

1. Pressure - we are bottom for tackles. What used to be a strength of ours, we have now become the worst in the AFL.

2. Winning the Ball - we are 3rd bottom for contested possessions (ahead of Bris and Hawks). At our best we were #1. We have some amazing ball winners on our list, how are we so far behind in this stat area? If we were one of those uncontested move the ball teams then this wouldn't seem so bad but we are definitely not that!

Our game plan literally depends on us winning the clearances. We got spanked in the Brisbane game because if it. It's so one dimensional. With fyfe clearly injured, no sandi, barlow gone and mundy playing forward our ONE advantage has gone to s**t also.

The Hawks had a good game for marks inside 50 on Thursday beating Adelaide in that area easily. Wouldn't surprise me if we are last after this round.

I'm hoping it's Suban Vs Selwood with the result that Selwood gets reported again and rubbed out this time. Almost enough to make this game bearable.

Darcy to run through in a ruck contest, collect Selwood in a bone crunching tackle, whilst cannoning off Dangerfield into the hip of Menegola.

That's a good snooker move.

Fantastic to see Melbourne get up but unfortunately a record losing margin by Freo will ease their pain. Please be competitive tomorrow Freo!!

Freo have nothing to lose.

They are expected to lose badly, but why can't some of the "kids" stand up and give Geelong a concerned look on their face ?. Be aggressive, go low in tackles & run, run, run.

We is going duck hunting !!!!!.

Hopefully we compete enough to make it watchable.

I like watching good/decent footy so means I wont have to turn off my TV :)

Don't reckon we'll get thrashed. Reckon we might be competitive in this one. I reckon there's a few players in our team with careers on the line and a serious point to prove. Think we might like the likes of Deluca and Darcy in this game. Really looking forward to this one. That said, I'm always the optimist. Carn Fremantle!Head over the ball boys !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back